Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 15 May 2017, 16:35
Been There Done That

XM1772E

https://myservicerifle.com/troy-xm177e2/

Interesting. Any experience with this manufacturer?

TROY XM177E2 Commemorative

The XM177E2, in partnership with SOA & SFA, is the second in the TROY My Service Rifle series following the GAU-5/A/A. The XM177E2 is a U.S. Special Operations icon specifically built for the covert combat needs of MACV-SOG in Vietnam. The TROY XM177E2 Commando is of heirloom quality and aesthetically precise.

Immortalizing duty, sacrifice and honor, proceeds from each XM177E2 will support the charitable efforts of The Special Forces Association and the Special Operations Association as they,
“commemorate fittingly the memory of those who have given their lives in defense of the Free World.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XM177E2.jpg (28.4 KB, 551 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 May 2017, 16:38
Violent Social Worker

I use a few of their products and love them. Free float handguards and buis.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 15 May 2017, 17:11
Preparing to defend

That's purty!
Old 15 May 2017, 18:00
Been There Done That

Wonder if they're authentic to the point of actually having the aluminum buttstock assembly the original had...?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 May 2017, 19:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Wonder if they're authentic to the point of actually having the aluminum buttstock assembly the original had...?
Believe they do, but don't hold me to it.
Old 15 May 2017, 20:06
Confirmed User

That thing looks awesome.

"Commemorative" sounds very expensive given the rifle. CAR-15 -esque/type?

I applaud them for their donations for sure to our forces past and current..I will proudly donate again on the side.
Old 15 May 2017, 20:18
Confirmed User

I had an article on it and it is as close as they could get it legally. No Full auto was the only thing they could not do.. Thats as much as my memory can remember
Old 15 May 2017, 21:08
Been There Done That

They even put Auto on the selector, but of course you cannot click to that position.

For $50 you can get the SF patch, SF Logo, or SOG logo and up to four lines of print engraved.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 15 May 2017, 21:19
The Sagacious One

We (I ) carried one of these in 2/75. Mine was old and shot out.
Old 15 May 2017, 21:59
Been There Done That

No brass deflector, teardrop forward assist, the bakelite type pistol grip, no bayonet lug, seems GTG.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 16 May 2017, 01:01
BT,WBTWC

They claim it is 100% authentic mil-spec, down to the "AUTO" that really isn't an "AUTO" (for lack of an auto sear, at least).

But, is it really "military specifications" in that it will accept a hammer with an auto sear notch? NO.

Is the receiver milled out so that, later in the Trump administration, when full auto becomes an option again
(with the tax stamp, blah blah blah) it really would be a matter of drilling the auto sear hole and inserting the auto sear? NO.

So it's a fancier form of an airsoft rifle, over-priced, and pretending to be what it is not.

And by the way, rub that bakelite grip with some LSA and blacken it up.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Posted by CB;
They claim it is 100% authentic mil-spec, down to the "AUTO" that really isn't an "AUTO" (for lack of an auto sear, at least). Where do they make that claim?

But, is it really "military specifications" in that it will accept a hammer with an auto sear notch? NO. All AR15s will accept a full auto hammer with the sear notch. Mine has an M16 hammer.

Is the receiver milled out so that, later in the Trump administration, when full auto becomes an option again
(with the tax stamp, blah blah blah) it really would be a matter of drilling the auto sear hole and inserting the auto sear? NO. Troy left a portion of the lower receiver unmachined where the sear would go, to be in compliance with the ATF ruling that marking a lower with an engraved circle replicating a sear pin is now a machine gun. This allows Troy to engrave a fake sear pin above the selector.

So it's a fancier form of an airsoft rifle, over-priced, and pretending to be what it is not. That's some serious hate there. They are just trying to capitalize on the AR15 retro craze by offering a complete gun so buyers don't have to piece meal a retro clone.

And by the way, rub that bakelite grip with some LSA and blacken it up. Why?
Why the hate? Obviously they can't make a new full auto machine gun for sale to the masses.
Old 16 May 2017, 09:33
Midgetologist

Pretty cool waiting for LP's range report.
Old 16 May 2017, 13:19
Been There Done That

In 2001, I carried in Afghanistan a rebuilt GAU-5A that was remarked as a GUU-5/P after the conversion. You could still see the GAU-5A marking XXX'd out on the receiver. Was pretty cool to have carried, at least in part, one of the original Vietnam weapons into combat.

I checked out the Troy GAU-5A/A commemorative build, and found it very accurate in the depiction of my duty rifle. The Troy products I've played with were excellent.

A Little History of the GUU-5/P

The United States Air Force has made ad hoc upgrades to its GAU-5/As and GAU-5A/As. The barrels and moderators were replaced with the longer 14.5-inch (370 mm) barrel with a 1-in-12 twist, but the weapons retained their original designations. With the change to M855 cartridges, they either received 1-in-7 twist barrel or complete upper receiver assembly replacements. The GAU-5/A or GAU-5A/A markings were removed and the weapons redesignated GUU-5/P. They also retain automatic fire instead of burst.

The new designation more accurately reflected the weapon's place in the U.S. Air Force Aerospace Equipment Type Designation System (AETDS). The weapons had initially been designated in the same format as aircraft guns, being placed in the GA category (GA designating an aircraft gun, with U meaning unit, representing a complete system and not part of a kit), followed by the /A suffix meaning the system was for aircraft. GUU is the "guns, miscellaneous personal equipment" category, and the /P suffix indicating personal equipment.

Last edited by Rotor Strike please; 16 May 2017 at 13:25.
Old 16 May 2017, 14:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post
That thing looks awesome.

"Commemorative" sounds very expensive given the rifle. CAR-15 -esque/type?

I applaud them for their donations for sure to our forces past and current..I will proudly donate again on the side.
I should have clarified that I am actually interested in how it handles. I too carried one (Car 15) when I was a RTO (guess to reduce the weight from the radio punishment). Regardless, it fired fine. I also look forward to the Range report.
Old 16 May 2017, 19:47
BT,WBTWC

Mea Culpa.
Grumpy old man post.
I guess my ire is truly directed at the
BATFE (pronounced "batfey") and their
arbitrary and anti 2nd amendment policies.
Old 16 May 2017, 20:03
Confirmed User

Cool rifle. I had a clone like this one in the late 70's and early 80's. Flash suppressor was pinned to the barrel. Great handling little rifle. I seem to remember quite a flash signature coming out when fired.
Old 16 May 2017, 20:04
Violent Social Worker

They look old school cool and I want one.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 16 May 2017, 21:00
Been There Done That

Although I'd LOVE to have this little carbine, already have a retro CAR style rifle, and just can't afford the coin.
Old 17 May 2017, 08:30
Confirmed User

Carried an XM177E2 marked rifle in Peru in the early 90's. Built my own (minus the full auto) when I got back. I don't do the retro thing, so I would update any new build with what I consider modernization upgrades.

Our new posting rules