Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 7 August 2017, 16:51
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specboatteam View Post
Packers are going to be a weapon this season, if everyone stays healthy they will go far.
The Bears season will be a success if they can stay within 10 points of them throughout both their games, and lose by no more than a touchdown.

I'm sure I'll probably spend as much time following the Dolphins as I will the Bears, just out of curiosity. I'm sure the same goes for most Bears fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Cutler did ok with Gase in Den. They have history so any new concepts are easier to install - Cutler played games in this offense and did .. best ever. Miami has some decent players on offense. Is Cutler in shape today?
Hell, he did pretty good with him in Chicago. It's too bad Gase didn't take over the Bears instead of Fox, things might have been different. I consider Gase a much better coach than John Fox.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 7 August 2017, 23:21
ET1/ss nuke's Avatar
ET1/ss nuke ET1/ss nuke is offline
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: sc
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
If Carolina stays healthy, they will be good.
Concur, but that's a tall order, and depth is lacking in a lot of places. It wouldn't take much of an injury bug with the current squad to make the difference between 6-10 or 10-6.
__________________
"I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Twain

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 8 August 2017, 08:28
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Concur, but that's a tall order, and depth is lacking in a lot of places. It wouldn't take much of an injury bug with the current squad to make the difference between 6-10 or 10-6.
Agreed. The reason I am cautiously optimistic is because Kuechly was out 6 games, Cam was injured and battered, the O-line was a revolving door of injuries, and yet they still only lost 6 games by 3 points or less. I think if they stay healthy, they may not be 15-1, but definitely good enough for playoffs.

Also hard agree re: depth issues. They are solid at LB and a few other places, but in other spots, they are an injury away from starting rookies (again).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 8 August 2017, 13:00
ET1/ss nuke's Avatar
ET1/ss nuke ET1/ss nuke is offline
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: sc
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Cam was injured.
He still isn't throwing, and it wouldn't be a surprise if either he isn't up to full strength by early September or if Anderson starts a couple of early games. Anderson has not looked very good in camp. At this point Joe Webb is a better pocket QB as well as a rushing threat.
__________________
"I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Twain

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 8 August 2017, 13:12
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
He still isn't throwing, and it wouldn't be a surprise if either he isn't up to full strength by early September or if Anderson starts a couple of early games. Anderson has not looked very good in camp. At this point Joe Webb is a better pocket QB as well as a rushing threat.
We'll see. He was throwing some to Curtis Samuel today; Vermillion says he is "on schedule" to start.

I am less concerned about his arm than the lack of reps with McCaffrey and the first team.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 8 August 2017, 14:33
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Carolina will be lucky to score a Wild Card berth this year.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 8 August 2017, 14:39
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Carolina will be lucky to score a Wild Card berth this year.
The NFC South will likely be the deepest division. Whoever is number two will have a for-real shot at the wild card. With Carolina's defense I am not particularly worried about Tampa or New Orleans, and I think we'll split Atlanta.

Of course, everything hedges on health. Aside from the Patriots there isn't a single game that is remotely "unwinnable" with this schedule, and the hardest games will be divisional.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 8 August 2017, 14:47
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Speaking of the Patriots, I'll bet they're eager to face Miami and Cutler, twice.

The defense is probably rubbing their hands together, thinking about all the interceptions they're going to make.

Speaking of which, there were some pretty funny comments about Cutler on Twitter, most of which made light of his propensity for turning the ball over. Here is Belichick celebrating after he heard the news that Cutler was joining the AFC East.



And here are the many moods of Jay Cutler, based on his facial expressions.

__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"

Last edited by Spinner; 8 August 2017 at 14:54.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 9 August 2017, 12:07
ET1/ss nuke's Avatar
ET1/ss nuke ET1/ss nuke is offline
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: sc
Posts: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Also hard agree re: depth issues. They are solid at LB and a few other places, but in other spots, they are an injury away from starting rookies (again).
Carolina's second string free safety and second string strong safety were both lost for the year over the last two weeks, and there isn't anything left behind them except some dudes off the street. That should show up significantly in the last three quarters of each preseason game.
__________________
"I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Twain

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 9 August 2017, 17:24
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Also, I mentioned this a couple of times in other posts, Cam Newton will never return to the Super Bowl. He will be like the Dan Marino of his generation.

The football gods have decreed that, and that goes for Brandon Marshall too.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10 August 2017, 09:12
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Carolina's second string free safety and second string strong safety were both lost for the year over the last two weeks, and there isn't anything left behind them except some dudes off the street. That should show up significantly in the last three quarters of each preseason game.
Yeah, you are right about that. We'll see how (if??) they address that.

Preseason is preseason, but I liked the game. The second-year secondary are much better than last year, the LB group as strong as any, the D-line looks solid.

There is a wealth of decent talent with receivers, the O-line looked OK. McCaffrey had a solid B in his first pre-season game. His limitation will be Shula. Anderson played like a starter; he may be the best back-up in the league.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10 August 2017, 09:14
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Also, I mentioned this a couple of times in other posts, Cam Newton will never return to the Super Bowl. He will be like the Dan Marino of his generation.

The football gods have decreed that, and that goes for Brandon Marshall too.
Why? Clearly he is capable. He isn't "elite" but he is good. He will end up in the HoF after his career. So would you think he won't make it back because of the talent around him? Or do you think Carolina is the football cicada, emerging to go to the SB once every decade?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10 August 2017, 13:04
NYwood914 NYwood914 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 169
Is anyone insterested in my Giants tickets for tomorrows pre season game against the Steelers. 4 seats, corner end zone, lowest level.

Let me know, I can email them to you. For free of course.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10 August 2017, 17:10
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Why? Clearly he is capable. He isn't "elite" but he is good. He will end up in the HoF after his career. So would you think he won't make it back because of the talent around him? Or do you think Carolina is the football cicada, emerging to go to the SB once every decade?
I just told you why.

The football gods have decreed it, dammit!
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11 August 2017, 09:30
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,436
So, Trubisky looked good, but he's at Chicago, so he won't do anything. Fournette looked good. Myles Garrett looked good. So far, 1st round rookies impress.

Green Bay's Randall goes out with concussion....no bueno. Hope he comes back soon.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11 August 2017, 12:36
NYwood914 NYwood914 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 169
Zeke suspended six games.

The Columbus City Attorney's office announced in September of last year that it would not pursue charges against Elliott because of "conflicting and inconsistent information,". Interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11 August 2017, 16:41
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
So, Trubisky looked good, but he's at Chicago, so he won't do anything. Fournette looked good. Myles Garrett looked good. So far, 1st round rookies impress.

Green Bay's Randall goes out with concussion....no bueno. Hope he comes back soon.
Yeah, everybody including myself enjoyed watching Trubisky demonstrate that perhaps he really was worthy of being the 2nd overall pick. But a lot of people are proclaiming him the QB of the present as opposed to the future, which is a stretch.

Until he faces a top notch defense, we won't really know what kind of QB he is. Going up against a defense made up of guys 3rd or 4th on the depth chart isn't really the true test. Unless Glennon plays as badly as he did last night throughout the last 3 pre season games, he'll be starting on opening day.

Looks like the Cowboys chances to tear up the NFC East just took a hit, they'll be missing the services of Ezekiel Elliott for the first 6 games. Rumor has it that people could hear Jerry Jones howling in distress all the way over in Ft. Worth.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 20 August 2017, 14:24
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,993
Any North Carolina A&T fans or alumni here?

I never heard of this school before this year, but the Bears have found themselves a nifty little (only 5'6") running back by the name of Tarik Cohen. As a 4th round pick, he's definitely a keeper.

He started the game against the Cardinals last night and was running right through their defense, guy reminds me of every RB that explodes through and opening and then runs for another 7 or 8 yards, or a lot more if the D doesn't react.

He'll definitely make the team, but at his size I have to wonder how long he'll last in the NFL.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 20 August 2017, 20:03
UGA_11B UGA_11B is offline
RIP Cass and SOTB
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,127
Is anybody interested in a SOCNET fantasy league? I'd be willing to put it together and everything. If your interested just PM me your email and suggestions.

On the other hand, Fuck Blake Bortles. He is garbage. Start Henne for all I care. The defense looked awful, only missing our starting corners. That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy, but it's the Jags, so warm and fuzzy is the weather not an emotion associated with our terrible football team.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 20 August 2017, 20:34
NYwood914 NYwood914 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Any North Carolina A&T fans or alumni here?

I never heard of this school before this year, but the Bears have found themselves a nifty little (only 5'6") running back by the name of Tarik Cohen. As a 4th round pick, he's definitely a keeper.

He started the game against the Cardinals last night and was running right through their defense, guy reminds me of every RB that explodes through and opening and then runs for another 7 or 8 yards, or a lot more if the D doesn't react.

He'll definitely make the team, but at his size I have to wonder how long he'll last in the NFL.
Well, Darren Sproles is 5'6 and has been in the NFL since 2005 so he wouldn't be the first little guy breakin ankles.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:32.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET