Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 September 2017, 09:59
Life is simple, not easy.

Kareem Hunt went to my high school (Willoughby South) and scored 83 TD's and accumulated 5100 yards in two seasons. Unbelievable talent for our school. We knew when this kid was 8 years old that he'd have an opportunity to play on Sundays, much less his high school exploits proving it possible.

Then he goes out and breaks the all-time yardage record for a player debut with 246 yards (A Boldin and Billy Sims held the record at 217 yards) and scored three TD's. My FB friends are lighting it up this morning. Very proud of this young man.

(Our rival school - Mentor High School - saw Mitch Tribisky drafted by the Bears. He was another balls out record breaking player from our area who we will also be watching.)

Chiefs looked damn good last night on offense, defense, and special teams.

Oh, and Go Browns!

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 8 September 2017, 10:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post

Chiefs looked damn good last night on offense, defense, and special teams.
It's hard to judge anything on the first game of the year.

That said...Hunt played lights-out. It was nuts. Alex Smith is a solid middle-of-the-pack QB, nothing special, but the Patriots' defense made him look like, well, Brady. He out-Brady'd Brady. I love watching the Patriots lose at home. Kinda like watching UNC lose in basketball in Chapel Hill.

Are they that good and NE that bad? No, and no. They will regress to the mean. NE will be a good team that will make it far, and KC will be a better-than-average team that could make it far.
Old 8 September 2017, 14:41
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

New England will probably bounce back (they always do) but I would like to see them get off to an 0-4 or 0-5 start before bouncing back.

Not for any reason other than it might be fun to watch a franchise that has had nothing but success for many years send their fans into a meltdown. Kind of like what's happened to the Bears, only without the sustained, year in and year out disappointment.
Old 8 September 2017, 19:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
...Not for any reason other than it might be fun to watch a franchise that has had nothing but success for many years send their fans into a meltdown. Kind of like what's happened to the Bears, only without the sustained, year in and year out disappointment.
You misspelled Browns....
Old 9 September 2017, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
You misspelled Browns....
LOL

I wasn't taking semi-pro teams into consideration.
Old 9 September 2017, 17:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
LOL

LOL.

Well played my friend, well played....
Old 9 September 2017, 18:16

Quote:
LOL

Oh man that's just wrong right there. But as a Browns fan I've grown callouses upon callouses when it comes to my Browns. If there is ever a class on growing a thick skin Browns fans should have automatic Doctorate degrees.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 10 September 2017, 17:21

I just checked the NFL scoreboard, looks like the Browns and Bears shared the same playbook and played decent games against a couple of contenders.

I guarantee they'll both revert to form next week. The Bears coaching staff drove me nuts, they had a first and goal with :30 left to play in the game down 23-17, and the little spark plug of a RB they picked up in the 4th round this year (that would be Tarik Cohen out of North Carolina A&T) didn't even get in the game until the final play. The guy was giving the Falcons defense fits all day.

Of course the game ended with a sack of Mike Glennon, no surprise there. They probably didn't put Cohen in because he wasn't part of their "game plan" in that type of situation, which is exactly why the Bears will need a whole new coaching staff next year. They don't know how to adjust.
Old 10 September 2017, 22:17
Confirmed User

There is only one team that matters in the NFL, and that team is the raiders. We should just be given the Lombardi throphy now.
Old 11 September 2017, 09:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A.P. View Post
There is only one team that matters in the NFL, and that team is the raiders. We should just be given the Lombardi throphy now.
Exactly! Go Raiders!
Old 12 September 2017, 11:45
Did...did I do that?

I see my Saints are holding true to form.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:29
Authorized Personnel

Screw the Chargers. Hope they lose every game this year and have zero attendance at their games.
Old 12 September 2017, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A.P. View Post
Las Vegas 2020!

William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 12 September 2017, 15:57
Confirmed User

It's a shame I might be gone from Vegas by then ��
Old 12 September 2017, 16:28

Biggest bust in your team's history

aKevin White, the Bears wide receiver picked #7 overall in the 2015 draft, has just been placed on IR for the 3rd time in as many seasons. Ryan Pace took a big swing of the bat whiffed, badly. I'm sure all of the West Virginia fans out there thought he'd be a lock in the NFL.

He started out by missing his entire rookie year because of a fracture of his shin bone, then broke his fibula 4 games into the 2016 season and has now just been placed on IR due to a broken scapula in the first game of the season against the Falcons.

That's less than 5 games total (he was injured at some point during Sunday's game and came out, so I'm not giving him that game) played in 3 seasons. It would be one thing if this guy had played lights out when he was in the lineup, but he appears to be one of the worst receivers ever to fill a roster spot on the Bears.

He has one more year guaranteed from his rookie contract, $2 million of the easiest money this guy will ever make. He must have some bone density issues or something to suffer so many broken bones, it has to be more than just bad luck.

Not the biggest bust in Bears history, but he's in the team picture made up of busts. The captain of the Bears Biggest Bust team would have to be Cade McNown, another 1st rounder.

There has to be some other team and player that has underperformed Kevin White, although this guy comes pretty close to being the worst player ever drafted in Chicago.

Chime in, what other player out there qualifies for the All-NFL Bust Team. We all know about Ryan Leaf, but I'm sure even you Patriots fans have somebody. Aaron Hernandez doesn't count, because despite his major flaw of being a thug and cold blooded murderer, he could actually play the game.
Old 13 September 2017, 08:21
Confirmed User

Oooo, I'll play. How about the following:

OL-Tony Mandarich
LB-Trev Alberts
RB-Rashaan Salaam

I'm sure I can think of some more given time
Old 13 September 2017, 08:33
Been There Done That

Two words.

Heath Shuler.
Old 13 September 2017, 09:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Two words.

Heath Shuler.
ha, you win

Although Jamarcus Russell, may be 1A
Old 13 September 2017, 15:21
Anesthetized User

1. Ryan Leaf. Biggest bust in the HX of the NFL. Period.

2. Todd Marinovich.

Two quarterback busts and both with healthy meth habits.

Support SOCNET.
Old 13 September 2017, 17:30

Those names mentioned definitely ring a bell, especially Jamarcus Russell.

I recall Todd Marinovich coming up, his overbearing father essentially raised him to be a QB. They were always bragging about how he'd never even tasted a Big Mac or had a can of pop. Kind of ironic how he descended into a heroin fueled nightmare. Looks like he's making "comeback" at the age of 48 with the World Developmental League, though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/s...h.html?mcubz=0

Tony Mandarich was an SI cover story less than 3 years after being drafted, the title of the story being "The NFL's Incredible Bust". And of course no bust list would be complete without Art Schlichter from Ohio State.

The worst part about the Kevin White situation is that chosen right behind him at #8 was Vic Beasley, who would look very good in a Chicago Bears uniform right about now.

Our new posting rules