Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 August 2017, 18:34
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

College Football 2017

Figured it was time to open a thread so all of the Alabama fans can tell the rest of us how great the Tide are going to be this season.

I was actually prompted by news that Notre Dame and Wisconsin are going to start playing games against each other starting in 2020, first at Lambeau and then the next year at Soldier Field.

They haven't met since 1964, which coincided with Ara Parseghian's first year as coach. Should be interesting, considering how huge the fan base for both teams is in Chicago. In Wisconsin, I'm pretty sure the ND fan base is a wee bit smaller.
Old 13 August 2017, 20:22
Moving Target

Im looking forward to the WVa- Va Tech game coming up in a few weeks. I love my college football.
Old 14 August 2017, 03:11
Confirmed User

My favorite time of the year...ROLL TIDE!
Old 14 August 2017, 06:35
BTDT

Go Bucks! Yeah yeah Clemson whooped us. However, the last time that happened (lose to Clemson). The next year we won the BCS National Championship. Angry.

"Immature jackoff/asshole/agitator"

"I can only say I'm sorry so many times and mean it" Homer Simpson
Old 14 August 2017, 07:34
Been There Done That

Will Bama have another 1 second season? We count the game with Auburn so many years ago, because the War Eagle fans remind us almost every day, including my daughter and grand daughter!
Old 14 August 2017, 08:24
Reverse Apache Master

Ah yes, college football season. The time of year when people attach themselves and their emotions to schools they never went to and teams they never played on. Fall is the time of year when "we" is the most overused word in the English language.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 14 August 2017, 08:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Ah yes, college football season. The time of year when people attach themselves and their emotions to schools they never went to and teams they never played on. Fall is the time of year when "we" is the most overused word in the English language.
I follow three teams; my alma mater (who will be happy to have more than 4 or 5 wins this year), Duke (where I work and went to grad school), and peripherally Wisconsin (because I have family who went there, and one who taught there).

Football is a whole helluva lot better to follow than politics or that crap in Virginia.....
Old 14 August 2017, 08:48
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I follow three teams; my alma mater (who will be happy to have more than 4 or 5 wins this year), Duke (where I work and went to grad school), and peripherally Wisconsin (because I have family who went there, and one who taught there).

Football is a whole helluva lot better to follow than politics or that crap in Virginia.....
Hell yes it is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy college football and pretty much wait all summer for it to finally kick off.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 14 August 2017, 08:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Hell yes it is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy college football and pretty much wait all summer for it to finally kick off.
I read you. We get the same thing come basketball season in my AO...people come out of the wood work for UNC or Duke, 90% have zero affiliation with either school.

For me sports is my 'release valve.' After almost 19 years of marriage I think my wife finally gets this. If I pay attention to sports and stay away from name-the-news-network-here, I tend to be happier.

As for anyone that actually matters in the college football landscape, as much as I hate to, I really hope Fla State wins the national championship. I really don't care for any of the other top-5 teams.
Old 14 August 2017, 08:55
Authorized Personnel

Go Noles!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 14 August 2017, 10:10
Life is simple, not easy.

Ohio State will be in the thick of it again this year. They need to get the bad taste of losing to Clemson out of their system early and often.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 14 August 2017, 10:15
Confirmed User

With 3 teams on their schedule that may finish the season ranked, OSU should be in the mix.
Old 14 August 2017, 10:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
Go Noles!
They are going to be very good. My wife's friend is the SID for football at Duke, can get us press passes for any game this season, my son wants to go to the Duke-FSU game. I was like "Really?? It's gonna be a blow-out." But, that's what he wants, so I suppose we'll go see the blow-out.
Old 14 August 2017, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Will Bama have another 1 second season? We count the game with Auburn so many years ago, because the War Eagle fans remind us almost every day, including my daughter and grand daughter!
As you know agonyea, I'm hoping that some bottom feeder on the Tide's schedule feasts on them at some point during the season.

As always, I want to be seeing a lot of shuffles in the top 5, especially toward the end of the season when "playoff" positions are on the line.
Old 14 August 2017, 17:40
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

As a South Carolina alum and (sadly) fan, I look forward to another season of being just barely good enough to make a low-rent bowl game by squeezing out wins over weak teams, being shamefully blown out by good ones, and in one or two games teasing a possible upset victory before finding a way to not quite pull it off.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 14 August 2017, 18:04

I just checked Alabama's schedule, didn't realize that first up on their schedule is #2 Florida St. I'm going by the Sports Illustrated rank, I know that in many they're further down.

So we know for sure that at least one of the top 5 teams is going to lose right off the bat to start the season. Yipee.
Old 14 August 2017, 18:23
Confirmed User

And Florida opens against Michigan.
Old 14 August 2017, 21:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
As a South Carolina alum and (sadly) fan, I look forward to another season of being just barely good enough to make a low-rent bowl game by squeezing out wins over weak teams, being shamefully blown out by good ones, and in one or two games teasing a possible upset victory before finding a way to not quite pull it off.
Go Cocks!!!
Old 15 August 2017, 01:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
Im looking forward to the WVa- Va Tech game coming up in a few weeks. I love my college football.
Roger that. The two most liked teams in WV.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 15 August 2017 at 01:45. Reason: Typo
Old 15 August 2017, 08:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I will pay them good money to beat NC State....

Our new posting rules