Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #261  
Old 9 October 2017, 19:07
bounceandburst bounceandburst is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southeast
Posts: 112
Y.A (Yelberton Abraham) Tittle, the LSU and NFL great QB has passed.(no pun intended) He was 90. Hopefully he got to see his beloved Tigers beat the Gators last Sat.
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 9 October 2017, 20:25
Oldpogue Oldpogue is online now
Old and Grumpy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Cental Indiana
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounceandburst View Post
Y.A (Yelberton Abraham) Tittle, the LSU and NFL great QB has passed.(no pun intended) He was 90. Hopefully he got to see his beloved Tigers beat the Gators last Sat.
The first pro football game I saw had Y.A.Tittle quarterbacking the 49s against the Packers at Milwaukee County Stadium around 1955. One of the legends.
__________________
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Of course that lets in the crackpots, but if you can't tell a crackpot when you see one, you oughta be taken in. Harry Truman
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 10 October 2017, 21:18
CTA's Avatar
CTA CTA is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
As an old Florida hand, it's interesting to see the Gators out of the top 25, but USF & UCF both being in there.
A sign of change in the State of Florida but methinks a good thing.... I like seeing the other State schools stepping up and being competitive a la the CA system.
__________________
NSA/CSS National Cryptologic Memorial - They Served In Silence

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 11 October 2017, 03:46
Linda1961's Avatar
Linda1961 Linda1961 is offline
Psalm 91:2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
As much as I can't stand Alabama and would love to see them fall
BLASPHEMY

Back, back, back you spawn of Satan.

Sorry couldnít resist.🤷🤷

ROLL TIDE ROLL
__________________
"Hate war but love the American warrior." Lt. General Hal Moore

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 11 October 2017, 06:20
agonyea's Avatar
agonyea agonyea is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 1,883
Haters, gonna hate !
__________________
"And the fallen Angels took to flight transformed into fierce beasts, and fell upon their prey" Dante
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 11 October 2017, 10:05
havok88 havok88 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,596
I read an article yesterday saying LSU will be honoring Les Miles during the game this weekend. I bet thats going to be really awkward. I really hope he gets in some great Les-isms though.
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 11 October 2017, 13:25
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,983
I can't wait until Auburn puts a whipping on Alabama. Not just beat them, but grind them up.

Of course, that's the last game of the season, and the so called selection committee for "playoff" is so brainwashed that Alabama would probably only drop to #2. Of course, Oklahoma loses a very close game and they dropped 9 spots, all the way to #12.

That tells you everything you need to know about the legitimacy of this whole process. If Alabama were to lose a close game to any of the teams remaining on their schedule, does anybody believe they would drop 9 spots in the polls?
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 11 October 2017, 14:13
havok88 havok88 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I can't wait until Auburn puts a whipping on Alabama. Not just beat them, but grind them up.

Of course, that's the last game of the season, and the so called selection committee for "playoff" is so brainwashed that Alabama would probably only drop to #2. Of course, Oklahoma loses a very close game and they dropped 9 spots, all the way to #12.

That tells you everything you need to know about the legitimacy of this whole process. If Alabama were to lose a close game to any of the teams remaining on their schedule, does anybody believe they would drop 9 spots in the polls?
Because Oklahoma lost to Iowa, and its a regular occurance for them to have a loss to an unranked team.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 11 October 2017, 14:19
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,983
What they did last season, or the season before that, etc. should have no bearing on how far they dropped out of the #3 spot. Each season should be judged separately from any season before it.

Otherwise, it just becomes a popularity contest. Oh, wait...that's what I've been calling it all along!
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 11 October 2017, 14:23
havok88 havok88 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
What they did last season, or the season before that, etc. should have no bearing on how far they dropped out of the #3 spot. Each season should be judged separately from any season before it.

Otherwise, it just becomes a popularity contest. Oh, wait...that's what I've been calling it all along!
THen why have rankings at all? Preseason rankings have a 0% basis on how well that team has done, and everything to do with what they are expected to do. On top of that, you are saying that its unfair for Oklahoma to drop more spots from losing to a crappy team like Iowa, than for Alabama to a good team like Auburn, so you are complaining about it being a popularity contest, yet you are biased in it. Pot meet kettle...
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 11 October 2017, 14:32
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,983
lol

Not sure how to respond havok, you've just solidified all of my arguments.

Actually, it was Iowa St who beat OU, and I don't think you can really call them a crappy team. Put an "s" in front of crappy and you have a better description. Also, it was a very close game, not like they got blown out by a really inferior opponent.

And yet, they go to #12 from #3. If Alabama had played Iowa St. and, like OU, lost a close one, your position is that they shouldn't drop as many spots as OU did. Same crappy opponent (in your opinion, of course), same close game resulting in a loss, but they should not drop so precipitously because you think that what they did in the past should have some bearing in how they are viewed now.

What they did in the past should have no bearing whatsoever, each season should stand alone. And whether it's Auburn who beats Bama or ISU, they should suffer the same consequences.

You've made this point a few times in previous posts, about how wins are really important and an expanded playoff would somehow devalue the season. If anything, an expanded playoff will do just the opposite, it will make the season's results even more important, especially if there is a bye for the first round of playoffs awarded to those top 4 teams. They'd still have something to play for, just not a free pass on their way to a national championship that only includes a semi final and a championship game.
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 11 October 2017, 16:38
havok88 havok88 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
lol

Not sure how to respond havok, you've just solidified all of my arguments.

Actually, it was Iowa St who beat OU, and I don't think you can really call them a crappy team. Put an "s" in front of crappy and you have a better description. Also, it was a very close game, not like they got blown out by a really inferior opponent.

And yet, they go to #12 from #3. If Alabama had played Iowa St. and, like OU, lost a close one, your position is that they shouldn't drop as many spots as OU did. Same crappy opponent (in your opinion, of course), same close game resulting in a loss, but they should not drop so precipitously because you think that what they did in the past should have some bearing in how they are viewed now.

What they did in the past should have no bearing whatsoever, each season should stand alone. And whether it's Auburn who beats Bama or ISU, they should suffer the same consequences.

You've made this point a few times in previous posts, about how wins are really important and an expanded playoff would somehow devalue the season. If anything, an expanded playoff will do just the opposite, it will make the season's results even more important, especially if there is a bye for the first round of playoffs awarded to those top 4 teams. They'd still have something to play for, just not a free pass on their way to a national championship that only includes a semi final and a championship game.
Oh, I mistakenly said iowa instead of Iowa state. My bad. Well now that you put it that way...itís still the same garbage team I was talking about. A team with an unimpressive record.

And no, my opinion isnít that Alabama wouldnít drop 9 spots if they lost to Iowa state. I never once said that. My opinion is that Alabama wouldnít lose to Iowa state. I said they wouldnít drop 9 spots if they lost to Auburn, because Auburn is a much better team than Iowa state. I donít know why thatís difficult to understand.


OU lost to a team whose other wins consist of beating Northern Iowa, and Akron, but lost to Texas and Iowa. Yeah, I dont know how they fell so far in the rankings.

Last edited by havok88; 11 October 2017 at 16:43.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 11 October 2017, 16:59
agonyea's Avatar
agonyea agonyea is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 1,883
These RANKINGS don't mean ANYTHING until late November. Your wasting your time until the Conference playoffs begin.
On any given day anybody can win or lose. Anybody !
__________________
"And the fallen Angels took to flight transformed into fierce beasts, and fell upon their prey" Dante
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 11 October 2017, 18:21
Fubar's Avatar
Fubar Fubar is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Fork Ranch
Posts: 3,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
OU lost to a team whose other wins consist of beating Northern Iowa, and Akron, but lost to Texas and Iowa. Yeah, I dont know how they fell so far in the rankings.
Interesting that the Team that beat over-hyped Ohio State lost to a little scrappy team visiting Norman, OK. I'm hoping Texas proves to be just as scrappy this weekend.
__________________
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 11 October 2017, 20:03
havok88 havok88 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Interesting that the Team that beat over-hyped Ohio State lost to a little scrappy team visiting Norman, OK. I'm hoping Texas proves to be just as scrappy this weekend.
At the very least, they should make it a good game.
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 12 October 2017, 08:46
MBTex's Avatar
MBTex MBTex is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 182
Mike Leach rant on playoffs. I agree they need to be expanded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_nuMEtwUW4
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 12 October 2017, 14:10
Spinner's Avatar
Spinner Spinner is offline
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
These RANKINGS don't mean ANYTHING until late November. Your wasting your time until the Conference playoffs begin.
On any given day anybody can win or lose. Anybody !
I agree, and it's Alabama's turn.

They're going down!!

lol
__________________
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who!"
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 12 October 2017, 19:21
agonyea's Avatar
agonyea agonyea is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Home of the Infantry
Posts: 1,883
Ok, Spinner ! Take a number and get a seat! YAWN !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22310247_10210044271005904_2853645574428902802_n.jpg (22.4 KB, 52 views)
__________________
"And the fallen Angels took to flight transformed into fierce beasts, and fell upon their prey" Dante
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 13 October 2017, 11:15
Headhunter1965 Headhunter1965 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 91
Hopefully this weekend will end the 3rd painful era in Tennessee Football when South Carolina comes to town and most likely beats an already beaten team. If somehow they escape and Butch Jones pulls out a win, the next week is Alabama. Football is F'ing depressing in Big Orange Country right now.
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 13 October 2017, 11:45
Long Walk Long Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
Hopefully this weekend will end the 3rd painful era in Tennessee Football when South Carolina comes to town and most likely beats an already beaten team. If somehow they escape and Butch Jones pulls out a win, the next week is Alabama. Football is F'ing depressing in Big Orange Country right now.
I feel your pain, but I wouldn't count on the Fighting Gamecocks to beat your Vols just yet.

I had high hopes for the boys from the Midlands this year, but, again, will likely have to accept 6-6 and a trip to the GMAC or Music City Bowl.

Is there another team with the capacity to recruit top-level D1 talent that consistently delivers such disappointing results as South Carolina?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET