Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 August 2017, 19:36
Did...did I do that?

Ammo Counter Proof of Concept

This came across the /r/raspberry_pi/ subreddit. I follow it because I like the gadgets that everyone comes up with, although I'm not quite geeky enough to try any myself.

A Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer the size of a credit card. You can connect anything to it; it's got video, SD, and wifi capabilities, and they're stupid cheap, like under $100.

This guy took a Pi, connected an Arduino microcontroller and built a unit that will count the rounds remaining in an AR magazine. The prototype is bulky, unwieldy, and ugly. But it works.

The video is about 7:30 or so, and shows him firing too.

Sure, it's not ready for public use yet. But it's an interesting concept at least.
Old 18 August 2017, 22:50
The Sagacious One

Pretty interesting. I think the eventuality is to project the number onto the screen of the RMR. That would be bad ass.
Old 18 August 2017, 23:22
Moving Target

I can see this being implemented some day.
Old 19 August 2017, 17:04
Confirmed User

It can be done now. You don't even need a raspberry - you can have a custom board made up. Ideally, it would be integrated into an ergonomic futuristic looking stock. Someone just needs to want to do it enough to make the investment.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:50
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Intertesting.

We had a firearms instructor that used to be into the round counting thing. It's okay, but hard to do when you are being shot at. Personally, I prefer the last two rounds in my mags to be tracer. Seems to work better for me under pretty much any condition, and doesn't require a battery, computer, or working HUD.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"

Our new posting rules