Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 September 2017, 16:43
Been There Done That

Thumbs down Olympic Arms - vote of NO CONFIDENCE

Olympic Arms has been a good stand-up company for a long, long time. Now their either closing doors or will be bought out by someone else.

Any nice words about them are hereby rescinded. Rather, I'll say that if they were on fire I'd go piss in my own gas tank before pissing on them. Fuck 'em.

Over the years I've purchased one complete upper (6.5" barrel 5.56 that runs like a damn champ) six rifle barrels, and most recently two more of the 6.5" pistol barrels. Turns out that they are short chambered. Very short.

So I spoke with their man and tell him I suspect short chambers because of (insert list of symptoms and brass markings /striations) in a very nice manner and I even stayed cool when he got all indignant that I'd question their products. When he asked if I had my and other's personal safety in mind and had checked headspace with GO, NO-GO, and Field gauges, I answered truthfully that no I hadn't. None of the the half dozen of their barrels I'd used in the past had been bad before...

Service rep says he can't./ won't do anything unless I've had them professionally checked.

Roger fucking that.

Next morning (today) I'm at my friendly local gunsmith shop and we tried all three gauges on both barrels: bolt won't close on any of them.

Damn. OK, no sweat. Smithy writes up nice letterhead note to Oly confirming short chambers.

I get home after several errands, and call Olympic Arms to see if they want just the barrels, or the complete uppers when I return them for warranty work.

"OH, NO NO NO... Everybody knows that all barrels must be finish reamed after being mounted on the gun. We will not take them back for warranty exchange, nor for finishing reaming. You're on your own."

Damn.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 27 September 2017, 17:03
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

It appears that the employees of a company up for sale who anticipate that they will soon lose their jobs anyway have little incentive to demonstrate even a modicum of customer service. As frustrating as that obviously is, and should be, it is probably bound to happen. With sufficient complaint you may persuade the new owners to meet your needs on good faith, but they might not feel obligated to keep someone else's promises, so any offer you get may be insincere and result in foot-dragging compliance at best. I hope it works out for you, but getting your hopes up is likely to lead to more frustration.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 27 September 2017, 20:48
Overseas Gunplumber

Your definitely in the minority in regards to Olympic Arms and quality. On that note, they specifically mention in their initial posting the following-

All sales are final.
No refunds or returns will be accepted after 1-25-2017.
On-line Shopping Cart will be active and effective while supplies last.
All Warranty service ceases 1-25-2017. Warranty work and repairs currently in-house will be serviced and returned.
New orders will only be taken for inventory currently in stock, or that can be built from remaining inventory. All inventory will be liquidated at current pricing while supplies last.
No special orders.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you in this time of transition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Olympic Arms has been a good stand-up company for a long, long time. Now their either closing doors or will be bought out by someone else.

Any nice words about them are hereby rescinded. Rather, I'll say that if they were on fire I'd go piss in my own gas tank before pissing on them. Fuck 'em.

Over the years I've purchased one complete upper (6.5" barrel 5.56 that runs like a damn champ) six rifle barrels, and most recently two more of the 6.5" pistol barrels. Turns out that they are short chambered. Very short.

So I spoke with their man and tell him I suspect short chambers because of (insert list of symptoms and brass markings /striations) in a very nice manner and I even stayed cool when he got all indignant that I'd question their products. When he asked if I had my and other's personal safety in mind and had checked headspace with GO, NO-GO, and Field gauges, I answered truthfully that no I hadn't. None of the the half dozen of their barrels I'd used in the past had been bad before...

Service rep says he can't./ won't do anything unless I've had them professionally checked.

Roger fucking that.

Next morning (today) I'm at my friendly local gunsmith shop and we tried all three gauges on both barrels: bolt won't close on any of them.

Damn. OK, no sweat. Smithy writes up nice letterhead note to Oly confirming short chambers.

I get home after several errands, and call Olympic Arms to see if they want just the barrels, or the complete uppers when I return them for warranty work.

"OH, NO NO NO... Everybody knows that all barrels must be finish reamed after being mounted on the gun. We will not take them back for warranty exchange, nor for finishing reaming. You're on your own."

Damn.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC

Our new posting rules