Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 September 2017, 00:20
Been There Done That

.450 Bushmaster

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking at the Ruger American Ranch rifle (in pic). Seriously considering buying now at $427.00 new.

At 5 1/2 lbs I know it's going to be a bruiser on the shoulder. Only 2 companies produce ammo at this time, Hornady & Remington. Heavy bullets around 250 gr. 16 inch barrel.

I know they come in AR platforms. Ruger makes a Gunsite version with wood stock and iron sites with longer barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ranch_lede_2.jpg (10.1 KB, 167 views)

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 September 2017, 06:35
Been There Done That

Well, I ordered it today. Can't wait to shoot the beast. Now looking for a good scope for it. Will be smoking some whitetails with it hopefully next month.

Trying to figure the scope I want to mount now.

Great video of a .450 smoking a black bear.

https://youtu.be/keC51iIqvb0

Old 29 September 2017, 07:21
Authorized Personnel

That's a lot of bullet for deer hunting.
Old 29 September 2017, 08:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
That's a lot of bullet for deer hunting.
Bear & deer seasons coincide at one point. Have pics from neighbors game cams of bear only a few hundred yards away. I like to make big holes too.

Besides, I see a lot of 300 Ultra Mags, 300 WSM, other huge magnums. Really not much different than a 45/70 or 12 Gauge slug.

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 29 September 2017 at 08:11.
Old 29 September 2017, 08:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Bear & deer seasons coincide at one point. Have pics from neighbors game cams of bear only a few hundred yards away. I like to make big holes too.

Besides, I see a lot of 300 Ultra Mags, 300 WSM, other huge magnums. Really not much different than a 45/70 or 12 Gauge slug.
No sense in chasing it if you don't have to!
Old 29 September 2017, 08:24
Authorized Personnel

Whack em and stack em. What does it cost to feed that beast?
Old 29 September 2017, 10:31
Über Equus Asinus

Im intrigued by the .450 BM... the only thing I really dont like about it is that it uses "pistol" sized .45 caliber projectiles (.451 and .452) vs "rifle" .45 caliber projectiles (.458).. so you are a bit limited if you are wanting to reload (you arent going to find an abundance of bullet options that are specifically designed for hunting that can handle the velocity you would shoot them out of a rifle at)..

Its got some advantages over the .45-70 though.. .45-70 is rimmed.. it doesnt typically feed well in bolt action or semi-auto platforms (unless you want to spend a fortune on gunsmithing and custom rifles)..

you get similar performance to a .45-70 though, pushing a 300 gr bullet about 2100fps.. in a compact, lightweight package..

I think the little ruger american makes a pretty interesting option for people living/working in brown bear country.. its super affordable.. reliable.. and can throw a good chunk of copper and lead at a speed high enough to make mr. griz think twice about eating you..

Could make a fun hog gun too..

I might be interested in one of these..

If you want to plus up the weight, boyds gunstocks makes a pretty decent laminate stock for ruger americans that drop right in and add a little more than a pound to the gun for a reasonable price ($129)... Ive put boyds laminates on 2 ruger americans.. they have held up well.. Ive been really happy with them..
Old 29 September 2017, 10:39
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, at 5.5 pounds that thing is going to be like a rat turd, sharp on both ends.
Old 29 September 2017, 11:15
Been There Done That

and no usable meat left on a normal sized deer!
Old 29 September 2017, 15:49
Make a desert and call it peace.

The low/medium velocity fat bullets ruin a lot less meat than the magnum with fast light bullets.

I agree with the .458 diameter bullets, but I understand the desire to keep within M16 mag length.

A heavy cast lead bullet, ideally an ogival flat point, sounds like it might be a good option. A 325gn 60-65% meplat at 2000fps would put a lot of meat in the freezer. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 29 September 2017, 17:41
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The low/medium velocity fat bullets ruin a lot less meat than the magnum with fast light bullets.
^^ this ^^

Everything I have ever shot with my .45-70 went down on the spot.. never moved so much as an inch... with minimal meat damage using a 350gr projectile traveling about 2000fps...

I've had several animals scoot off for anywhere from 10-100 yards after being hit hard in the vitals from my .308 though after shooting them with a 168gr projectile traveling at 2700fps.. and almost always have more meat damage to deal with (although a .308 really isnt all that bad on deer/elk/hog type game..)..

While I hunt with my .308 a whole lot more than I do my .45-70 (I like the additional range the .308 affords).. I am definitely a fan of big, slow moving bullets when distances and targets are practical for it..
Old 29 September 2017, 17:47
Authorized Personnel

Velocity is what really does the damage. E=M x v2. You add a lot more energy by adding velocity than you do by adding weight. I also use .308 almost exclusively and if you hit a rib it makes a mess. Biggest mess I ever made of a deer was with a FordFocus Ought Eight, but it was carrying a lot of velocity.
Old 29 September 2017, 19:38
Been There Done That

I used a 300 WSM for awhile in Georgia when I could see down a large power transmission line for a half mile. Took a doe once at 220 yds. You could stick your thumb in the entry wound and it looked like a baseball exited the bitch.

The areas I hunt are almost always under 100 yds and usually more like 50 yds. I've had shots under 20 yds several times. The big magnum bullets hardly have time to do their job at very close ranges with such high velocities. I have other options depending what area I hunt. The old 30/30 works fine in those situations with a regular Core Lokt.

Old 29 September 2017, 19:44
Authorized Personnel

Lots of dead deer over the years at the business end of a Marlin or Winchester 30/30. I grew up on a 94 in 30/30.
Old 29 September 2017, 19:47
Über Equus Asinus

me too... my first "deer rifle" was a Marlin 336 in 30-30...

still a nearly perfect tool for deer and hogs in the deep south..
Old 29 September 2017, 19:53
Been There Done That

I used a 300 WSM for awhile in Georgia when I could see down a large power transmission line for a half mile. Took a does once at 220 yds. You could stick your thumb in the entry wound and it looked like a baseball exited the bitch.

The areas I hunt are almost always under 100 yds and usually more like 50 yds. I'very had shots under 20 yds several times. The big magnum bullets hardly have time to do their job at very close ranges with such high velocities. I have other options depending what area I hunt. The old 30/30 works fine in those situations with a regular Core Lokt.

Old 29 September 2017, 20:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Velocity is what really does the damage. E=M x v2. You add a lot more energy by adding velocity than you do by adding weight. I also use .308 almost exclusively and if you hit a rib it makes a mess. Biggest mess I ever made of a deer was with a FordFocus Ought Eight, but it was carrying a lot of velocity.
LOL. Yea, my wife's KIA Sorento ought 6 took out a deer before her first fucking oil change = $5,900 damage. Hornady Black ammo for the 450 runs normally priced $24.99 or so a box.

Old 30 September 2017, 00:01
Darwin Award Presenter

+1 on the 30-30. My grandfather gave me my first deer rifle, a 94 Winchester. Good old days. I miss them so.......
Old 30 September 2017, 00:17
Six Minutes!

I'm a big fan of heavy, big, slow.

My first moose was with a 310gr 35 Whelen, and the bloodshot meat wouldn't fill a tuna can.

On the Bushmaster question... I think you're OK given the task, and the $$$ for ammo.

I'm a handloader, which changes the dynamic considerably. I therefore chose the 458 Socom, solely due to .458 bullet availability. I carry an AR in 458 with 500 gr FP going 1330 FPS to give me comfort in the woods...

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 2 October 2017, 04:24
Firearms Industry Exile

.450 BM and .458 Socom are like the 10mm of rifles in a way. In that Ruger, which is a really smooth rifle action, it's got some punch to it. The rifle bedding is outstanding and a great starting point if you want to build a custom rifle. Or keep it as is. It's absolutely a fun cartridge to have if nothing else.

I once shot a raccoon with the .450 BM in a Ruger American. Also some ground squirrels at a Ruger event they hosted for distributors. There was nothing left to look at for any more detailed ballistic analysis lol.

Rest Easy SOTB

Our new posting rules