Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 1 October 2017, 11:54
#AllLionsMatter

Unhappy College Professor: Believing in Hard Work is White Ideology

OK! WTF am I missing here?

LINK...

Quote:
Pennsylvania State University-Brandywine professor Angela Putman recently asserted in an academic paper that the notion “if I work hard, I can be successful” is merely a product of white ideology,
Quote:
Angela Putman conducted a study to critique and examine “ideologies within college students’ discourse that are foundational to whiteness.” Her resulting conclusion published on Thursday was that “meritocracy”, or the belief that people should rise based on the fruits of their own labor, is a "white ideology." In her mind, this "white ideology" is unfortunately widely accepted in academia.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 1 October 2017, 11:58
Been There Done That

Saw this on Fox a few hours ago--guess I was raised wrong, shoulda grown up fat, ugly and lazy. Then again, I'm 2 for three right now...
Old 1 October 2017, 12:06
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I assume she grades on a curve.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 1 October 2017, 12:22
Supporterator

The crazy thing to me is that a lot of the folks I see saying these things had to work very hard to become successful. How can one buy in so completely on an ideology that is self-defeating?

Last edited by IronCross; 1 October 2017 at 12:22. Reason: clarity
Old 1 October 2017, 12:27
Confirmed User

So, she is prepared to resign her position so that someone who has been harmed by the white ideology can be given her job which they really "deserved". It would be the best way for her to simultaneously recognize and repudiate her privilege.

Last edited by RemTech; 1 October 2017 at 12:43.
Old 1 October 2017, 12:53
Confirmed User

I'm guessing this is some sort of modern social/mental illness.
Pretty much all the black people I know would find this deeply insulting.
Old 1 October 2017, 12:58
Martian for Pax Romana

If one just repeats, "hard work is white notion," three times, it makes it not racist. Two times, racist. Four times, racist. But, three...

I know these people don't intend to be racist, but they just can't seem to help themselves...
Old 1 October 2017, 13:08
Problem Solver

She's a fucking idiot.

There are millions of minorities in this country who believe just as much in hard work and the fruits thereof as anyone else.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 1 October 2017, 13:42
Been There Done That

There's a "progressive/commie" insurgency happening all around us in the Country right before our eyes (tightening my tinfoil hat). It's why the left is losing their shit since the 2016 election....it was a seemingly huge setback for the "agenda".

Most we can seem to do at this time is mock and ridicule their stupidity.
Old 1 October 2017, 13:45
Authorized Personnel

IMHO Ridicule is our best weapon against the useful idiots and fellow travelers. Ymmv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 1 October 2017, 13:57
Genetically Deplorable

I only had to look at her Facebook page to understand where she is coming from. Obama essentially said/believed the same thing. It was big gubment that built America, not hard working Muricans employed by private industry. But I do agree the intent in the OP's title.

Last edited by ramzmedic; 1 October 2017 at 14:08.
Old 1 October 2017, 14:10
Confirmed User

SO in Lue of hark work to get ahead what does she suggest, Laziness works better while sitting around waiting for people to hand you money??

Using her own Ideology she should hand out A's for students who do not show up to class and punish those who put effort into their work, or better yet give away her salary to those who just plain gaff off her class as a reward for resisting "The Man" and the oppression system of "Hard Work gets you ahead of your peers".

We are living in The Twilight Zone of reality!
Old 1 October 2017, 14:30
Confirmed User

I'm no professor. Had to drop plans for my Ph.D back in the day due to various reasons.
However, after having read this article my not-professor brain came to a conclusion that the entire thesis presented in that article is ridiculous and reeks of PC BS, the research is dodgy at best and conclusions are useless. Prof.Putman shoots herself in the foot IMO, because her findings seem to be racist not only in regards to white people, but other races as well. This article might be seen as implying that only whites believe in working hard and rest is living by some other, radically different ideology which prof. Putman fails to present but if it is different from "working hard" it might be "slacking off". What of course is incredibly offensive towards all non-white people.
This article looks to me like attention whoring/self promotion plus attempt to get some money from publication. I get the fact that because of the new wave of political correctness that begins to permeate entire modern society some academics try to jump the bandwagon looking for monies and popularity (maybe politics?) but for me this article is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Putman did not say how she would be grading students in the future. According to her theory, grading based on their merits and test scores would be a perpetuation of white ideological privilege.
This is outrageous, she flat-out says she will not grade people based on their knowledge and measurements of it, but by whatever. She doesn't know what would that be. This is a university professor saying this, for God's sake.

Quote:
Putman believes that it is somehow a bad thing to teach students personal responsibility.
It is...a..professor...nevermind.

Last edited by Paul85; 1 October 2017 at 14:37.
Old 1 October 2017, 14:48
Red Headed Stepchild

That's the kind of bizarro world thinking you get when you live in an academic echo chamber and shut down dialogue with people who hold opinions different from your own. i.e. the entire PC/SJW movement.
Old 1 October 2017, 14:55
Vivat Fraternitatis

Reading Atlas Shrugged. The parallels between that book and what's happening in America today are scary.

The good news is, as I've said before, in a land full of fucking idiots there is opportunity for the enlightened.
Old 1 October 2017, 15:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Reading Atlas Shrugged. The parallels between that book and what's happening in America today are scary.

The good news is, as I've said before, in a land full of fucking idiots there is opportunity for the enlightened.
One of my favorite books. You are correct, the parallels are amazing.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 1 October 2017, 15:09
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
She's a fucking idiot.

There are millions of minorities in this country who believe just as much in hard work and the fruits thereof as anyone else.
Exactly. You have to wonder why this subject even became a topic in her work. It's like she is trying to throw cover for someone and make excuses for their mediocrity (presuming they have reached that level).
Old 1 October 2017, 15:17
Vivat Fraternitatis

You guys really haven't figured this out? It speaks to every base and easily exploitable psychological weakness in humans. Blame transference to an easy scapegoat. The story of the meek and oppressed minority. Validation of self-defeating scripts and swapping them out with acceptance of mediocrity.

The previous administration opened up Pandora's box - and the evils are coming home to roost.
Old 1 October 2017, 15:23
#AllLionsMatter

Well then...

The professor would be pissed-off on some of the shit I say to relatives:

NO! You can't use my place when we're gone. The last time you fuckers didn't pay any bills yet, you stayed there!?

NO! The Heineken & Guinness is for me. The Milwaukee Best is for the rest of ya'll! You don't buy shit yet, you're over here drinking up the good stuff.

DaFuq! How the hell is she getting a to-go plate of crabs that, I had shipped in from Maryland? She shows up out of the blue and eats God only knows how many crabs and now, she wants too take a plate to go? How about this; FUCK NO!

NOPE! I'm not driving across town to pick up my niece(s) so they can stay for the week and turn right around and drop them off? I love'em however, I don't love'em that much!

I guess God blessed us where we live, fuck the numerous jobs that had me away from home so that I can pay for this bitch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg download (1).jpeg (14.8 KB, 347 views)
File Type: png download (1).png (6.7 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpeg download.jpeg (6.8 KB, 346 views)
File Type: png download.png (8.0 KB, 346 views)

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 1 October 2017, 15:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The professor would be pissed-off on some of the shit I say to relatives:

NO! You can't use my place when we're gone. The last time you fuckers didn't pay any bills yet, you stayed there!?

NO! The Heineken & Guinness is for me. The Milwaukee Best is for the rest of ya'll! You don't buy shit yet, you're over here drinking up the good stuff.

DaFuq! How the hell is she getting a to-go plate of crabs that, I had shipped in from Maryland? She shows up out of the blue and eats God only knows how many crabs and now, she wants too take a plate to go? How about this; FUCK NO!

NOPE! I'm not driving across town to pick up my niece(s) so they can stay for the week and turn right around and drop them off? I love'em however, I don't love'em that much!

I guess God blessed us where we live, fuck the numerous jobs that had me away from home so that I can pay for this bitch!
Anyone remember that "Shit My Dad Says" twitter?
https://twitter.com/shitmydadsays?lang=en

I wanna see a new one "Shit Guy Says"

Some pure comedy gold entertainment right there

Our new posting rules