Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 October 2017, 10:40
Authorized Personnel

Angry Toll Road Speeding fine, Virginia

I am sitting here opening my mail and I received a letter from Enterprise Rent-a-Car:

We were notified by a Toll Authority that your rental vehicle incurred a citation or toll.

Ok, happens all the time when I rent cars and I pay the toll, no big deal.

However, this one says I received a speeding fine for 16-20 mph over.

I am from Florida and this has never occurred before. I did not go through a toll booth at 16-20mph over. I went through the open highway part where you do not stop and it just reads your tag as you go by.. Express lane or whatever you want to call it.

Basically, apart from knowing I didn't blow by a toll booth, at that speed, I have no idea where or why I received this ticket?

I saw no warning, no sign and has never happened to me in any other State.

So now I have a $150.00 fine with a $14.00 admin fee.

Is this points on my DL:? Anyone from VA familiar with this? Am I basically screwed? Can I fight this and have a reasonable chance.

In principal I am totally opposed to these type of tickets. There is no opportunity to get a bearing on when and where and what occurred and contemplate my defense.

I was in VA in August and I am just getting this notice now in October.

Any suggestions? Anyone had the same experience?

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 4 October 2017, 10:45
Reverse Apache Master

If you went through 2 toll booths, they probably just used Distance / Time = Rate to determine your average speed between the two booths.

Pretty shitty, but then again, I expect shitty things from revenue-grabbing government entities.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 4 October 2017, 10:47
Been There Done That

I got one in the mail one time from NOVA...speeding, same deal. Only problem, I wasn't in NOVA, and the pic wasn't my vehicle. I had to send my registration, etc. But it was finally dropped.
Old 4 October 2017, 10:49
In Vino Veritas

Bad news for Hot Mess

I caught a bright flash a few weeks ago and was most deff speeding. I don’t have a front plate, and am not registered in VA, but I’m guessing they use the transponder info?

Last edited by Hot Mess; 4 October 2017 at 10:55.
Old 4 October 2017, 10:50
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post

If you went through 2 toll booths, they probably just used Distance / Time = Rate to determine your average speed between the two booths...
Bingo.

Big Brother is everywhere and monitors everything...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 4 October 2017, 10:50
Been There Done That

Has happened to HH6 a couple of times over the years... for her it was mostly on the Maryland side of the beltway, a few miles north of the Woodrow Wilson bridge, southbound lanes as I recall. They (toll authority) pop for speeding with cameras, and send out the citations.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 4 October 2017, 10:55
Confirmed User

I fucking hate Virgina. HATE!

The State Troopers sit just across the border with NC to trap drivers as the speed limit drops (or used to) in VA. Then, while I was stationed there, I was a Florida resident and every year had to sign a document for the State Revenue office that I did not owe taxes. That included the year I moved here to Indiana. It took 3 months and multiple phone conversations plus faxed documents to get them to stop hounding me.

That fucking commiewealth can die for all I care.
Old 4 October 2017, 10:57
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post

They State Troopers sit just across the border with NC to trap drivers as the speed limit drops (or used to) in VA. Then, while I was stationed there, I was a Florida resident and every year had to sign a document for the State Revenue office that I did not owe taxes. That included the year I moved here to Indiana. It took 3 months and multiple phone conversations plus faxed documents to get them from hounding.

That fucking state can die for all I care.
Wonít get an argument from me on that.
Old 4 October 2017, 11:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Has happened to HH6 a couple of times over the years... for her it was mostly on the Maryland side of the beltway, a few miles north of the Woodrow Wilson bridge, southbound lanes as I recall. They (toll authority) pop for speeding with cameras, and send out the citations.
See that was the other issue.. I only remember the tolls in MD.. I don't remember the tolls in VA??

Not saying there were not any, I just don't recall in VA.

I had heard this shit about VA also... It is really maddening because I don't even know where to start my defense, nor do I have the time..

Anyone know if this is points on your licence?

Thanks again

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 4 October 2017, 11:08
Authorized Personnel

Where were you travelling in VA?

Outside of the express lanes on I-95 between the Beltway and Stafford (EZ Pass for toll costs), and some bridges in the Tidewater area, there are very few tolls in VA. IME, they're mostly on a few short, specialized, newer roads.

I have never heard of the EZ Pass lanes in NoVa giving out speeding tickets, only "no EZ Pass" or "inappropriate use of EZ Pass" (such as having the pass set for HOV-3 but only having one person in the car) tickets.
Old 4 October 2017, 11:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post

Anyone know if this is points on your licence?
We have gotten a few of these over the years from different states between me, my wife and my son and they all seem to be money making schemes so if you dont fight it you just have to pay with no points and I recall one of them actually stating that.

I recall a member here saying if you fight it usually you win because all you have to say is it wasn't you and burden of proof is on them which they are not prepared to do. The problem is it cost more to fight it by taking a day off work especially when its out of state so its easier just to pay.

Candygram for Mongo!
Old 4 October 2017, 11:46
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
I don't even know where to start my defense, nor do I have the time..
I get not having the time, but it will continue to get worse unless you make the time to engage and ram it up their ass sideways. I'm getting ready to do this with the local muni and it is a pain in the shorts.
Old 4 October 2017, 12:29
Authorized Personnel

Firstly, anything east of Charlottesville is NOT Virginia.

Go to court or pay the fine. They are MERCILESS on collection.

The year I retired I took a job teaching ROTC at Radford University. The ROTC det from Va Tech called me and asked me to come over and run a rappel tower for them, so I did. My truck was parked in a grass field behind the football stadium. I get done, parking ticket. I call the COL that runs the Tech ROTC det, he says call CPT so and so at the Tech PD and he'll take care of it. Jist of it is he tells me I'm on campus without a valid parking pass, pay the money. I tell him to fuck off. For YEARS I'd get letters from Va Tech telling me they were going to withhold my degree, etc, etc. I'd show them to the wife, we'd get a giggle and I would shit can them. It went to a collection agency, they'd call, I'd tell the to fuckoff. Long story longer, probably 7-8 years after the fact I get my fed income tax return and they had taken the fine out of that, plus a shitpile of fees, and I had no recourse.

Look at it like tuition, you pay to learn. Pay it, or be prepared for asspain later.
Old 4 October 2017, 12:46
Confirmed User

So correct me if I'm wrong, but speeding cam tickets are CIVIL infractions, not Criminal --- because they're not issued by police officers? IE, no points on your DL? I think some places have gotten around this by having LEOs perform some kind of role in their issuance, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 4 October 2017, 12:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Bad news for Hot Mess

I caught a bright flash a few weeks ago and was most deff speeding. I donít have a front plate, and am not registered in VA, but Iím guessing they use the transponder info?
I got bright flashes multiple times in VA, but with no front plate never received anything in the mail.

Good luck.
Old 4 October 2017, 14:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Where were you travelling in VA?

Outside of the express lanes on I-95 between the Beltway and Stafford (EZ Pass for toll costs), and some bridges in the Tidewater area, there are very few tolls in VA. IME, they're mostly on a few short, specialized, newer roads.

I have never heard of the EZ Pass lanes in NoVa giving out speeding tickets, only "no EZ Pass" or "inappropriate use of EZ Pass" (such as having the pass set for HOV-3 but only having one person in the car) tickets.
Well, I thought the only toll roads I was on were in MD, but the letter from Enterprise said VA, if I am reading it correctly. Is there a shared toll authority between MD and VA?

I went from DCA to Cambridge, Maryland, to Annapolis, back to Cambridge, MD, to Baltimore, to DC, to Alexandria back to DC then DCA.

I honestly have no idea off the top of my head where exactly I got the ticket at??

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 4 October 2017, 14:24
A/1/75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Firstly, anything east of Charlottesville is NOT Virginia.
hahahaha....

Charlie
Old 4 October 2017, 15:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post

The State Troopers sit just across the border with NC to trap drivers as the speed limit drops (or used to) in VA. Then, while I was stationed there, I was a Florida resident and every year had to sign a document for the State Revenue office that I did not owe taxes. That included the year I moved here to Indiana. It took 3 months and multiple phone conversations plus faxed documents to get them to stop hounding me.

That fucking commiewealth can die for all I care.

When I lived in Pentagon City, I had a government vehicle with undercover Maryland plates on it. I must have found a dozen notices under my windshield, in a year, threatening me with all kinds of dire consequences if I didn't obtain a Virginia tag. I figured it was a good test to see just how backstopped the tag really was. They never found me. :)
Old 4 October 2017, 15:09
Been There Done That

Suck it up Buttercup. Pay the damn fine.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 4 October 2017, 15:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
...Outside of the express lanes on I-95 between the Beltway and Stafford (EZ Pass for toll costs), and some bridges in the Tidewater area, there are very few tolls in VA. .....
Went to the Engineer Advanced Course up at Ft Belvoir, VA around 1983 with 3 other SF Engineers and two from the 307th Engineer Battalion.

Coming out of Ft Belvoir and heading south on 95 there was 5 toll booths before we hit the NC Border. Since we drove back and forth every other weekend we had quarters stacked on the dash to save time.

Man was I glad when they built the bypass around Richmond.

Our new posting rules