Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 October 2017, 16:05
Confirmed User

What I learned a long time ago is they take a picture of your vehicle witch is timed stamped when you go thru the first toll an when you go thru the last toll booth. Just say the speed is 70 MPH an you do 73 MPH part of the time or 75 MPH. At 65 MPH it should take so much time to go between each Tool Booth. (i.e) 2 HRS. you make it in 1 1/2 hrs. then you are going over the speed limit. TICKET TIME.

I learned a long time ago to pull over at a rest stop for 20 min. or so. This Reduced the speed that you were going.
Old 4 October 2017, 16:19
Verified SOF

Three (4) weeks in Abu Dhabi and I've already been fined 493 USD......

Last edited by Purgatory; 4 October 2017 at 16:20. Reason: 4 weeks wtf.. I'm drinking
Old 4 October 2017, 16:30
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Suck it up Buttercup. Pay the damn fine.
Good, this really is socnet after all. Some of the recent threads had me wondering.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 4 October 2017, 16:40
Confirmed User

The Virginia tolls on the beltway are the express lanes; they're fairly well marked with EZ pass signs and separated from the regular lanes.

If you drove through Alexandria there's a series of speed and red light cameras along US 1 toward DCA. On the 295 side, there's a speed camera near JB Bolling and the water treatment plant. Maryland also has small unmarked Ford SUVs that have cameras attached that they like to park near road construction sites.

Maybe Enterprise's use of "toll authority" isn't actually referring to road tolls, but whichever agency (or company) issued the ticket, since it's probably a generic letter format they follow.

The camera tickets I've received in MD never carried points and I don't believe they do in VA either.

Last edited by Dan90; 4 October 2017 at 17:02.
Old 4 October 2017, 16:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
Well, I thought the only toll roads I was on were in MD, but the letter from Enterprise said VA, if I am reading it correctly. Is there a shared toll authority between MD and VA?

I went from DCA to Cambridge, Maryland, to Annapolis, back to Cambridge, MD, to Baltimore, to DC, to Alexandria back to DC then DCA.

I honestly have no idea off the top of my head where exactly I got the ticket at??

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT
Based on your route, there is only one EZ pass, and that is eastbound on the Bay Bridge. There are no speed-monitoring devices at the toll booth. There are two speed monitors on the bridge in each direction, but they just show speed. There are no speed cameras on Rte 50until you get to Salisbury, and those are run by SPD, and you didnít go that Far East.

The only toll road in VA West of DC is the Dulles toll road, but unless you were majorly lost, you wouldnít have taken it to get back to DCA from any of your locales.

If your Baltimore travels took you to APG, 95 express lanes from White Marsh to downtown are tolled via EZ pass. There are no toll roads in MD between Baltimore and DC.

I would fight it and say it wasnít you. Either way, you will not get points for this ticket.

Regards,
Danny
Old 4 October 2017, 21:47
Been There Done That

Brother,
I am not licensed as an attorney in Virginia and I've been away from that "Commiewealth" for over a decade so this is conjecture - but something doesn't seem right.... There should be some phone number listed for the county in which the ticket was issued. Both places I checked indicate Virginia uses red light cameras, but not speeding cameras.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws...opicName=speed

http://www.ghsa.org/state-laws/issue...-Light-Cameras

Perhaps as was Wildman43 indicated above, they used the time elapsed between toll booths and not a camera? You are right to be concerned about points on your license and you should be able to get that answered with the number given on the back of the ticket.
Old 5 October 2017, 07:43
Moving Target

Quote:
Well, I thought the only toll roads I was on were in MD, but the letter from Enterprise said VA, if I am reading it correctly. Is there a shared toll authority between MD and VA?

I went from DCA to Cambridge, Maryland, to Annapolis, back to Cambridge, MD, to Baltimore, to DC, to Alexandria back to DC then DCA.

I honestly have no idea off the top of my head where exactly I got the ticket at??

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT
Yes it will be points on your license for three years.

Last edited by foxcolt13; 5 October 2017 at 07:49.
Old 5 October 2017, 07:59
Been There Done That

I found this article from 2014 on how EZPASS can monitor your speed.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ding/20558251/
Old 5 October 2017, 08:30
The Sagacious One

Quote:
See that was the other issue.. I only remember the tolls in MD.. I don't remember the tolls in VA??

Not saying there were not any, I just don't recall in VA.

I had heard this shit about VA also... It is really maddening because I don't even know where to start my defense, nor do I have the time..

Anyone know if this is points on your licence?

Thanks again

Sltwtr1

OUT
Saudi Arabia has these little desert speeding boxes that work by radar. The radar activates the camera and it is sent via cellular signal to the processing office. This is probably what caught you. If the state issuing the ticket reports to the state that issued your driver's license, it will most def show up.

You may even go to prison.

Old 5 October 2017, 08:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
If you went through 2 toll booths, they probably just used Distance / Time = Rate to determine your average speed between the two booths.

Pretty shitty, but then again, I expect shitty things from revenue-grabbing government entities.
This practice has been the norm in Australia for decades. I don't agree with it.
Old 5 October 2017, 09:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Went to the Engineer Advanced Course up at Ft Belvoir, VA around 1983 with 3 other SF Engineers and two from the 307th Engineer Battalion.

Coming out of Ft Belvoir and heading south on 95 there was 5 toll booths before we hit the NC Border. Since we drove back and forth every other weekend we had quarters stacked on the dash to save time.

Man was I glad when they built the bypass around Richmond.
Not anymore; not here in the 21st century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
I learned a long time ago to pull over at a rest stop for 20 min. or so. This Reduced the speed that you were going.
Doesn't that negate any advantage to speeding?
Quote:
Not that I've ever heard of.
Quote:

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT
It could be a fixed camera ticket, not a toll ticket, but I'm not aware of any communities in VA that issue speed tickets by camera. Red light violations, yes. Toll violations, yes. But not speeding tickets. I would definitely make a few calls.

I got a ticket a few years ago from DC for running a red light on Constitution Ave. There was no doubt it was me. They had a picture of both my plates, one of my car in the intersection with a red light in the background, and a picture of me sitting behind the wheel. I paid it and kept my mouth shut.
Old 5 October 2017, 09:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfrogTX View Post
This practice has been the norm in Australia for decades. I don't agree with it.
The Florida turnpike used to do this. My roommate at the time was arrested for averaging 145mph between booths on his CBR900 motorcycle.
Old 5 October 2017, 10:01
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT
My Dads mother grew up in Cambridge, MD. They used to live on Mill St down by the marina. Cool place!!!
Old 5 October 2017, 20:32
Been There Done That

....One other thought, if they issued the ticket in the name of Enterprise Rental Car and Enterprise forwarded it to you - my guess is that if you ignore it, the bureaucrats won't put that much effort into trying to follow up? OTOH, if Enterprise ratted you out and your name is now on the notice - you may have problems.
But if you are not named on the notice, they will have to issue the drivers license suspension and possibly bench warrant for failure to appear, to the name on the notice "Enterprise Rental Corp" if that is who they addressed the citation to.
If you follow this path, and that is what is up, you might want to book with budget/Hertz/Avis in the future.
Old 6 October 2017, 18:16
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
....One other thought, if they issued the ticket in the name of Enterprise Rental Car and Enterprise forwarded it to you - my guess is that if you ignore it, the bureaucrats won't put that much effort into trying to follow up? OTOH, if Enterprise ratted you out and your name is now on the notice - you may have problems.
But if you are not named on the notice, they will have to issue the drivers license suspension and possibly bench warrant for failure to appear, to the name on the notice "Enterprise Rental Corp" if that is who they addressed the citation to.
If you follow this path, and that is what is up, you might want to book with budget/Hertz/Avis in the future.
I ran a couple toll booths in Florida over the summer. I asked the rental car company what would happen, as I was out of state. They get the bill, then they charge your credit card for the tolls. I imagine they could do the same with traffic fines. I haven't read their contract, but someone working for the rental company had to get smart at some point.
Old 6 October 2017, 21:25
sterious scizor

Driving anywhere in the beltway sucks. I got pulled over years ago on 66 headed away from DC. I was new to the area and had no idea why none was on the highway at 3pm. The trooper was standing at the shoulder at the exit and waved me over. He argued with me that California has carpoool lanes and I explained they do, but they don’t have entire carpool freeways so I had no idea this was a carpool only route at that point. The signs he referenced were tiny. In the end forgetting to remove my old agency’s info from my vehicle registration paid of because he said he’d let me slide because I was at DHS. A rare moment I kept my mouth shut and didn’t explain I wasn’t there anymore.
Old 7 October 2017, 07:41
Been There Done That

Damn. I was just up that way recently. I was definitely speeding between Tysons and the MGM in MD. Let's see if Avis colludes with VA and rats me out.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 7 October 2017, 08:39
Confirmed User

In Poland you can be caught by:
  • A stationary radar (bright yellow stationary column), most of the new ones take pictures of cars going towards the radar as well the ones driving in an opposite direction. The fine plus pictures come to your mailbox.
  • A policeman hidden in the bush or behind terrain obstruction with a portable radar - this usually ends in immediate stopping of the offending vehicle and a fine.
  • A marked police car - well, duh sort of self-explanatory.
  • An unmarked road police car. These are quite numerous and are able to take pictures from the front and from the rear of the vehicle, and not necessarily flag you down, sometimes they drive behind you for kilometers to get enough evidence for a hefty fine, sometimes they start the lights and force you to go to a nearest stop/fuel station/whatever where it's safe and then give you a fine plus a video recording/photos. More often than not they hide and voila one day you get an envelope in your mailbox with a fine and pictures.

The unmarked ones are the biggest PITA because they sometimes follow you for quite a long distance, enough to rack up the points. Ah, points. In Poland you too get points on your license (up to 10 per one offense). After reaching a limit of 24 total points they used to take away your license, now it's a forced reeducation course that can be undertaken once per 5 years. You get maximum amount of points again during that period - you lose your license and have to undergo a driving course again.

If you exceed speed limit by 30 km/h they take away your driving license for 3 months. I just brushed with this lately when I was overtaking another car on a 4-lane road and got caught by a cop hiding behind some cars on the parking lot that was stretching along the road.

I exceeded the speed limit by 29 km/h. Got 200PLN fine and 6 points. Worst part is, wherever I drove that stretch of the road there was no police to be found even though I drove under the speed limit and was being a saintly driver. I exceeded the limit this time - and there you go, a cop was exactly where I didn't want him to be.

We talked and laughed together a bit about my predicament, I got fined, paid the fine the same day and life begins anew...until another time.
(cue in ominous music).

Our new posting rules