Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 October 2017, 10:01
Been There Done That

Pro tip; how to dress when at court

Went to the local court house (doesn't matter why) and I was amazed at people charged with serious crimes, dressing in jeans and cut off tee shirts. Witnesses for the defense dressing like they had just left the gym.

If you want to be taken seriously for the love of god where a suit. Borrow one, go to goodwill or k mart but get a suit.

If you know anyone going to trial and they some how don't have a suit, get one for them.

If you know some one going to trial make sure there are people sitting by them during the trial so that the jury can see it.

I don't understand how people how have been through the system or have been raised around it don't know how to dress or act when it rally matters.
Old 7 October 2017, 10:06
Authorized Personnel

The inability to dress appropriately for various social situations is becoming very common. High school and college graduations, business meetings, I see people improperly dressed all over.
Old 7 October 2017, 10:07
Authorized Personnel

That goes to show the amount of respect that people have for our justice system. I've always preached that if people have spare time, they need to go sit in a courtroom for a little while and get a real taste of society at its finest.

You are correct...first impressions and the way one looks speaks volumes. People should know to dress for the occasion.
Old 7 October 2017, 10:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
That goes to show the amount of respect that people have for our justice system. I've always preached that if people have spare time, they need to go sit in a courtroom for a little while and get a real taste of society at its finest.

You are correct...first impressions and the way one looks speaks volumes. People should know to dress for the occasion.

You would assume people who had been locked up before or had a 5 minute conversation with a lawyer, or even competent friend would square this away, and yet dressing like a future parole seemed to be a theme at the court house.
Old 7 October 2017, 10:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post

Agree 100% .... But, will never forget a witness on a the stand in his new suit with the price tag still intact. At least he took his appearance seriously.

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 7 October 2017, 11:03
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

The problem is societal. There are a large number of people who have never worn a collared shirt, primarily people one the far lower end of the socioeconomic ladder. Often times these people never had church, extracurriculars, or professional parents to enforce a dress code. I’ll frequently tell clients to dress nicely, and they’ll show up with a t-shirt tucked into their jeans. It’s almost like telling a Californian to wear business casual and then being surprised when he shows up wearing some chambray shirt with linen pants or whatever. As time has gone on, I’ve been much more specific with what I tell clients to wear— I’ve gotten mixed results. I often find myself playing dad to men twice my age, fixing their ties, buttoning their collars, and pulling up their pants.
ETA: And some people are just hopeless slobs, regardless of wealth or intelligence.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician

Last edited by redhawk; 7 October 2017 at 11:09.
Old 7 October 2017, 11:07
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSoldier View Post
You would assume people who had been locked up before or had a 5 minute conversation with a lawyer, or even competent friend would square this away, and yet dressing like a future parole seemed to be a theme at the court house.
Saw one on Wednesday.... Wife beater t shirt,sagging ass jeans, weed leaf tattoo the size of your hand visible on his shoulder.....trying to beat a drug charge.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 7 October 2017, 11:09
Darwin Award Presenter

local judges will not stand for this. I have seen it over and over. Total lack of SA
Old 7 October 2017, 11:12
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Saw one on Wednesday.... Wife beater t shirt,sagging ass jeans, weed leaf tattoo the size of your hand visible on his shoulder.....trying to beat a drug charge.
Im pretty sure Ive mentioned it before, but an alleged prostitute showed up to court wearing this shirt. Needless to say, the ye ole robe wearer was unimpressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9E68DC9E-5ABE-4B43-A96F-9191F4FBCE5F.jpg (13.8 KB, 455 views)
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 7 October 2017, 11:43
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

If you're showing up for a traffic ticket, generally it's not necessary to put too much of a shine on yourself, as long as your presentable. In Cook County the judges (most of them anyway) don't let attire dictate their ruling.

But for more serious matters, at the very least a decent shirt and tie is called for. More importantly, your attorney should always dress appropriately, and the suit needs to be from at least the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYgyqA_7BM

Old 7 October 2017, 12:56
In Vino Veritas

Meh, depends on how serious the crime.

As mentioned before, Id call my self appointed style hobo chic. Something like cut off BDUs, a t-shirt, sandals, and Rolex. I agree there probably is a time and a place for everything, but for the most part IDGAF about how people dress. I wore shorts and a t-shirt under my gown for college graduation. Why, because who GAF? Cue KidA and his people dress like slobs to be packed in like cattle on a shitty US carrier...

And while were on this topic, business casual. It means two completely different things depending on what Coast you live. The West coast calls it a collared shirt with jeans. And the East coast is suit with no tie. Really? No tie? BFD The East Coast can suck it...
Old 7 October 2017, 13:00
Confirmed User

Thumbs up

i was a juror for a fairly large Federal trial in an election fraud scheme recently. Full suit and tie dress code was strictly enforced for the duration by all who were in the court room.
Old 7 October 2017, 13:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Im pretty sure Ive mentioned it before, but an alleged prostitute showed up to court wearing this shirt. Needless to say, the ye ole robe wearer was unimpressed.
9E68DC9E-5ABE-4B43-A96F-9191F4FBCE5F.jpg

But a jury of her peers might be OK with this

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 7 October 2017, 13:27
Social Claymore

Traffic court: collared shirt and nice blue jeans or slacks
Criminal court: the nicest suit you own

I'd take every advantage I could to stay out of fuckjng jail.
There's a reason Stringer Bell never went to jail (other than Omar shooting him)

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 7 October 2017, 14:16
Been There Done That

If these people were smart enough to realize this, they wouldn’t be in that position to begin with.
Old 7 October 2017, 14:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
The inability to dress appropriately for various social situations is becoming very common. High school and college graduations, business meetings, I see people improperly dressed all over.
Constantly tell youngsters who are going to interviews with fire and police to wear a suit and tie. Then they do not get the job. And then they bitch about why. Friend is getting married, all the groomsmen are wearing jeans.

Recently flew to Thailand, all the American college students on the plane dressing like slobs. Sigh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 7 October 2017, 14:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkindasux View Post
i was a juror for a fairly large Federal trial in an election fraud scheme recently. Full suit and tie dress code was strictly enforced for the duration by all who were in the court room.
I was called in for jury duty at the district (county) court last year. Being only used to federal court, I asked around as to typical attire for jurors. I was told that if I wear a suit, I would be the only person besides the lawyers and defendant to be wearing one. How right that was; many of the jurors had on t-shirts and jeans. Meanwhile, I felt very under-dressed in slacks and a nice shirt (East Coast business casual).

My church is very informal; think football jerseys and shorts, but I still wear a suit & tie on Easter and Christmas just because.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Constantly tell youngsters who are going to interviews with fire and police to wear a suit and tie. Then they do not, and wonder why they do. Or get the job. And then they bitch about why. Friend is getting married, all the groomsmen are wearing jeans.
Exactly. If you aren't going to put effort in at the interview, how much less will you put in at work. Understand your employee and what they're looking for.
Quote:
Recently flew to Thailand, all the American college students on the plane dressing like slobs. Sigh.
The under-dressing on planes drives me crazy, especially as much as I travel. My usual air travel attire is cargo pants, shirt with a collar, and boots. I fly with people wearing dirty t-shirts, sweat pants, and flip flops, as if I want to see and smell their nasty ass feet. I don't expect people to fly in suit & tie, but at least dress like a human being. There's a time and place for everything.
Old 7 October 2017, 14:44
Sound off for equipment check!

While waiting to testify in the Federal Magistrate's Court in Fayetteville, NC, about a traffic accident I witnessed, I saw a buxom young thing wearing cutoff jeans and a fish net top with gaps in the netting almost big enough to eats the nips free. Turned out that was what she was wearing when she was charged with public indecency. When her case was called, she took the witness stand and the magistrate asked her if she was wearing that same top when she was charged. She replied, "Yeah, this same shirt."

The magistrate replied, "There is nothing indecent about that garment. Case is dismissed. You may go."

June, 1976. I saw it myself. In fact, I stared...

Yes. She was hot.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 7 October 2017, 16:08
The Sagacious One

Its the overall malaise in accepting accountability for anything. Go to court - YOU have to accept who I am. People riding on airliners are the same. Fat sweaty people waddling on in their under armor and flip flops.
Old 7 October 2017, 17:07
Confirmed User

I was taught that what you wear convey a level of respect and consideration for a situation you find yourself in and people you meet /are with.

Therefore whenever I was in court I always wore a suit with a tie. When at work I usually go for business casual except situations which require me to be in a dress suit. I dont do this just to look classy. I do this out of respect for other people.

Our new posting rules