Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 October 2017, 10:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first person who really started solidifying the whole "you don't need to dress like you're getting married in 20 minutes to signify you're a working professional" was Steve Jobs and his blue jeans and black turtleneck bit he'd do at Apple product launches.
Steve Jobs owned his own company and rarely interacted with people that were not on his payroll, he truly lived in a mobile, controlled bubble.

Basically he paid other people to wear a suit for him.
Old 9 October 2017, 10:32
Reverse Apache Master

It's not the suit or lack of suit. It's the effort or lack of effort.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 9 October 2017, 10:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I did that, got called for jury duty during the peak rut of hunting season. Wore my hunting coveralls and right before I went into the court room, I ate a half-dozen Oreo cookies. After that, all I had to do was grunt out my answers and smile a lot--dismissed.
In my younger days, in N.M. where I grew up. I don't remember a court in section the first day of Hunting season. A few days before you could find them at the local sport store, getting a last few things.
Old 9 October 2017, 10:42
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post

When in Rome, do as Romans do, I guess...
I think that's exactly the point..

People simply don't seem to give a shit these days and refuse to adhere to "when in Rome"... they think they can just do what they want and that's ok.. the world owes them something.. and they owe nothing in return..

Headed to court? dressed smartly and professionally is probably a good idea..

Headed to a job interview at a bank in a downtown metropolitan area? a suit is likely in order..

Meeting for lunch with a potential customer that owns a tech firm in northern California that is known to embrace the "hippie" lifestyle.... perhaps a casual shirt, some jeans, and a hemp necklace are the way to go..

No one owes you anything.. if you want something (whether a job, a sale, or a exoneration..) its probably a good idea to show a little respect and an understanding of the person(s) you are going to be dealing with..

Sadly I see less and less of this behavior these days though..
Old 9 October 2017, 11:06
Authorized Personnel

I went to work for a major ad firm and wore a modern black suit while being interviewed by the Digital VP who was wearing faded jeans, polo shirt and flip flops. Way overdressed. Account managers were eventually asked to go business casual for any new client meetings but the usual attire could range from the above to shorts, T-shirt’s and Sanuks or flip flops for the creative, digital and production teams. The days of Mad Men attire was way long gone. Being situationally aware and when in Rome goes a long way. However, if in doubt, I’m always going more formal. Would rather be overdressed than under any day of the week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 9 October 2017, 11:32
Old Scroll

If you're actually in jail when you've got a court appearance on the docket, have family / friends bring in some decent clothes for court. You'r lawyer can do this, too, but you'll be likely wearing stuff that's several sizes too big.

If you can't arrange court clothes, then at least get yourself a clean jail jumpsuit (a crisp new one if possible), cut that nasty goatee off your face, and get a haircut. If you've got full sleeve tats, wear a thermal top to cover them.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 9 October 2017, 11:32
Did...did I do that?

Doesn't all of this basically come down to situational awareness?
Old 9 October 2017, 11:52
Sub Rosa

We get Vets at the Veterans Treatment Court ("VTC") wearing t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops. They get a "NO-Go" at the station. Frankly, someone who comes in like that is telling everyone that they either have the inability to understand the context or even more troublesome they're giving the big "FU" to everyone and everything is about them. Accordingly, as a volunteer mentor, I'm not impressed with a vet who arrives in that attire. Because, essentially they're given an incredible opportunity to have their criminal case dismissed, yet they can't show the proper respect to the court. I don't get it. Many do appreciate it and wear the appropriate attire. Trust me the judge, who happens to be an 0-5 in the Army reserves, takes notice. We've gone so far as to provide clothing to our mentees so they don't embarrass themselves. BTW, we're not expecting suit and ties, just a collar shirt, pants, and footwear that covers the toes. IMO, that isn't too much to ask.
Old 9 October 2017, 13:39
Livin' On Blues Power

Just eat a lot of cabbage the day before if you want out of jury duty.
Old 9 October 2017, 13:41
Confirmed User

I got a summons to appear as a witness in an assault case. First thought was, "Does my suit still fit?" For funerals, weddings, and court, a suit is a must for me.
Old 9 October 2017, 13:46
Renuo Victima Esse

It's weird how many people complain about the justice system and yet will do anything to get out of jury duty!

Weird, I tell you....
Old 9 October 2017, 14:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool_For_A_Client View Post
I'm guessing you don't have to wear a coat and tie / suit for your job everyday? Try being forced to do so, many times in hot and/or stuffy courtrooms. I don't know any lawyer who will wear a coat and tie, or a suit, when they are not forced to. Or anywhere south of Canada. Check out downtown D.C. in the summertime. Nobody wears a coat or tie unless they have a damned good reason.
Some days I wear shorts and a t-shirt, other days I wear cargo pants and a polo, some days its a suit & tie. Hell, there're days I wear a dry suit. Regardless, I always ensure I know the appropriate attire and the time to be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
It's not the suit or lack of suit. It's the effort or lack of effort.
Bingo.
Old 9 October 2017, 14:59
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
It's weird how many people complain about the justice system and yet will do anything to get out of jury duty!

Weird, I tell you....
I keep getting called.. but somehow keep getting dismissed...

not sure if it has something to do with being a 6'4", short haired, white, male, ex-cop, current "corporate" type or what.... but no one seems to want me on a jury, whether its a civil or criminal case...
Old 9 October 2017, 15:05
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

not sure if it has something to do with being a 6'4", short haired, white, male, ex-cop, current "corporate" type or what.... but no one seems to want me on a jury, whether its a civil or criminal case...
I've been called twice since we have been taken off of the "exempt" list in my state. I was a no-go on both! I am pretty sure I know why....
Old 9 October 2017, 15:08
Confirmed User

I hear cops on the Jury are essentially target numero uno for defense dismissal. For obvious reasons.
Old 9 October 2017, 20:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

I also keep getting dismissed, last case was a murder, case, it took two days that time to dismiss me. I was asked questions I told them what I thought, The Judge even ask me a question.

I said your honor, My Birthday is in Oct an my sign is the scale of justice, which I believe in. I look at both side of the evidence,
an then decide how I will vote .
Old 9 October 2017, 22:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Doesn't all of this basically come down to situational awareness?
And quality decision making skills. Two things that most people who appear before a judge are severely lacking.
Maybe I just have a lack of faith in some people, but I'm not going to hold out hope that a guy who thinks robbing a liquor store is a good idea will have the mental capacity to realize he should wear appropriate clothing when he meets The Man.
Old 10 October 2017, 00:36
Shakeyville NZ

If you're going for a job interview, you wear a dark suit, a tie and black shoes that hold a polish. It doesn't have to cost the earth. You may be interviewed by a straggly bearded tie dyed sweatshirt bell bottomed jeans jandal wearing hippy.
If you turned up like that the probability is against you.
Dress to impress, not like you think people should.
If you want to fail, dress like a hobo.
Nothing more to add.
Old 10 October 2017, 05:26
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
I kinda agree here but based on your location and my own, it's worth noting the geographical difference in culture. In our respective locales, I'd say most people are the jeans/hiking boots/active top combo. Which has more to do with what day to day life is likely to include or require. Especially in the winter months.

In the course of a weekday here in the winter, almost everyone will likely have to clear the driveway of that heinous snow shit and the death ice on the front steps. We'll make two trips to the wood pile, three if we have kids or olds, to keep the house heated. Oh and of course, every parking lot and curbside will have a few million wet salt crystals mixed with that fine-sand-turned-salty-mud sludge. Which will destroy the finest leather with a quickness I've found. That's baseline shit we do in ungodly cold weather. Never mind the variables like black ice sending your car into a snow bank, walk dogs and do house maintenance in suburban Siberia weather. Etc. A nice tailored suit and some quality shoes will be useful for none of that.

That being said and in agreement, I saw the exact same thing last week while assisting someone with my sworn testimony. Waiting for a case worker, I saw baggy paint stained cargo pants with puffy skateboard shoes. Cocktail dresses on some newly-single moms. There was also a woman in "Juicy" sweatpants and a haggard oil stained Duck Dynasty sweatshirt. On its own that's unwise; in courtroom that's a shit appearance to portray and indicative of a lazy entitled swamp beast.

Know your environment, the expectations, and have two neutral colored and tailored suits. suits. Be able to wear them
Environment counts...in Hawaii, suits were not worn, but expensive Aloha shirts were. Even by the FBI agents agents. The only time I saw a suit, was downtown Honolulu in the Rolex store...and that was likely just to impress the Japanese tourists!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 16 October 2017, 22:53
Nobody Special

It's appropriate to dress for business when appearing in court. It doesn't have to be a three piece suit but just wear something professional.
There is an excellent judge here in San Diego, who retired last year, named Judge David M. Szumowski . Judge Szumowski is blind and was regularly seen walking the halls with his guide dog.
I'll say one thing that he knew everything that went on in his courtroom. If a defendant giggled or did something out of line, he would immediately bring it to the attention of their counsel that he didn't take to that kind of disrespect.

Our new posting rules