Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 October 2017, 19:24
Anesthetized User

IACP and Warning Shots

What could go wrong? Didn't see anything on "shoot to wound", but hopefully that will be in next issue.

Dark Helmet: I said put a warning shot across her nose, not up it!--Spaceballs.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/p...-force-issues/

"Warning Shots. The inclusion of an allowance for warning shots in the Consensus Policy should not negate the establishment of a more restrictive policy on the topic by individual agencies.

Defined as “discharge of a firearm for the purpose of compelling compliance from an individual, but not intended to cause physical injury,” warning shots are inherently dangerous. The Consensus Policy outlines very strict guidelines for the use of warning shots, while still providing latitude for officers to use this technique as a viable alternative to direct deadly force in extreme and exigent circumstances. The Consensus Policy makes clear that warning shots must have a defined target and can be considered only when deadly force is justified and when the officer reasonably believes that the warning shot will reduce the possibility that deadly force will have to be used.

Finally, the warning shot must not “pose a substantial risk of injury or death to the officer or others.” Essentially, the intent of the Consensus Policy is to provide officers with an alternative to deadly force in the very limited situations where these conditions are met. However, they are not meant to be a requirement prior to the use of deadly force."

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 9 October 2017 at 19:43.
Old 9 October 2017, 19:51
Been There Done That

Without getting too specific I recall two federal agencies that included policy on warning shots. Generally though, USCG allowed for warning shots under the Law of the Sea.

I always advised that there is a law against them. it is called the law of gravity and what goes up, must come down.
Old 9 October 2017, 20:04
Authorized Personnel

I am so glad I am about to retire!

I just wish I could get my son to quit and get out while he can....
Old 9 October 2017, 20:30
Been There Done That

This brought back a lot of memories from law enforcement training in the 1970s. From the folks at Quantico - take a look starting about the 4 minute point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ERs7VyRMETg

We used to teach shooting under cars as an offensive technique to take out a shooter's legs. The wall shots still work that way, too. Too much can go wrong IMHO letting rounds go off, if it is a deadly force situation, use it.

The majority of my final classes at FLETC couldn't very well drive cars, much less safely shoot off a warning round.
Old 9 October 2017, 20:35
Confirmed User

Change THE car horn to gunshot sounds, that is the warning shot
Old 9 October 2017, 21:02
BTDT

This sounds like joe Biden telling people to stick a shotgun out the front door and fire off a few rounds....

"if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony, walk out, put that double barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house. "

BANG BANG BANG...
FREEZE !!!!
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 9 October 2017, 22:20
Midgetologist

I found they worked great in OIF 2.
Old 9 October 2017, 22:28
What could possibly go wrong?

This goes along with the recent video of the San Joaquin county deputy running from and being chased by the suspect. Yea, you read that right and if you haven't seen the video go look it up. Sickening.
More sickening is that Some of the public PRAISED the deputy for "restraint"
It's the continued pussification of LE.
No use of force, warning shots, cops being shot and killed at a very high rate while training is focused on "de-escalation"
Old 9 October 2017, 22:51
Confirmed User

Well that is the MOAB of retarded ideas for LE. On a side note, did the IACP change to the International Association of Clowns and Pussies?
Old 9 October 2017, 23:22
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

For non-LEO, isn't a warning shot still called attempted murder?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 October 2017, 23:26
BTDT

...as long as they keep the warning shots pointed at the poor neighborhoods, everything should be fine.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 10 October 2017, 01:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
This sounds like joe Biden telling people to stick a shotgun out the front door and fire off a few rounds....

"if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony, walk out, put that double barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house. "

BANG BANG BANG...
FREEZE !!!!
Yup and apparently his advice would have gotten his wife arressted as it is against the law in his state to do so. Great advice

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-biden-in-jail
Old 10 October 2017, 05:46
Authorized Personnel

This reminds me of when someone said that they would rack a shotgun, and that sound would scare a bad guy. SOTB jumped in and let it be known that trying to make the shotgun do anymore than shoot was not proper. There was more reasoning, but it was SOTB being himself...
Old 10 October 2017, 09:42
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
This goes along with the recent video of the San Joaquin county deputy running from and being chased by the suspect. Yea, you read that right and if you haven't seen the video go look it up. Sickening.
More sickening is that Some of the public PRAISED the deputy for "restraint"
It's the continued pussification of LE.
No use of force, warning shots, cops being shot and killed at a very high rate while training is focused on "de-escalation"
"Praised for restraint".....

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 10 October 2017, 10:23
Very Deplorable

I just watched that video. Pure ridiculousness.

At one point the suspect even gets into the police car on the drivers side after chasing the officer away.

How that dude made it out without being shot is strange. At one point I thought, "maybe that's just a security guard," until the suspect rams the police car (with his own) and you can see it is a black&white squad car... that cop will probably quit for being ridiculed and scared or be fired for gross incompetence.

Warning shots... give me a fucking break.
Old 10 October 2017, 11:19
On the Razor's Edge

Warning shots just make the perp/s run faster.
Old 10 October 2017, 11:41
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check 6 View Post
Warning shots just make the perp/s run faster.
So they get a sporting chance at avoiding the shot, right?
Old 10 October 2017, 12:01
On the Razor's Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
So they get a sporting chance at avoiding the shot, right?
15 second head start.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:14

Talking to a BIL ex-weapon trainer with a sheriffs department a few months ago and he had a different take on warning shots than I do.

His take on having a CCW gun with a chambered round was not to have a round chambered. He said it only takes a split second to chamber a round and the racking sound and action will possibly make the perp give up or reassess his actions.

My view is the first round is chambered and ready, aimed and fired. Any other actions like a warning shot just allows one more opportunity for your gun to jam putting you in a bad situation.
Old 10 October 2017, 19:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
Talking to a BIL ex-weapon trainer with a sheriffs department a few months ago and he had a different take on warning shots than I do.

His take on having a CCW gun with a chambered round was not to have a round chambered. He said it only takes a split second to chamber a round and the racking sound and action will possibly make the perp give up or reassess his actions.

My view is the first round is chambered and ready, aimed and fired. Any other actions like a warning shot just allows one more opportunity for your gun to jam putting you in a bad situation.
That's crazy; no offense to your BIL.

I disagree vehemently for several reasons. No sound will stop a criminal. What if one hand is disabled or occupied? Does he carry his duty weapon this way? What is his agency's policy on carrying with an empty chamber; five bucks says it's not allowed.

Our new posting rules