Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 October 2017, 12:50
Been There Done That

Vehicle Protection Against Rodents

Didn't see this topic in any other threads/posts.

Does anyone have a no shit solution to keep rodents from entering the engine compartment and virtually destroying the vehicle? Last year I was having an issue with my car starting and upon further inspection, I/we found that mice, rats or whatever had set up shop in the engine compartment of my vehicle and chewed some wires etc.. Cost me $6k and I did what thee mechanic suggested to keep them at bay. In August the same thing occurred, they ate thru both wiring harnesses, entered the dashboard and ate all that shit and even made it into the trunk. Total shit show. The repair costs came out to $20k so USAA totaled the vehicle. I got my insurance payout and last weekend got a new vehicle. My wife's car is in the garage so one vehicle has to stay in the driveway. Buying a pet boa constrictor to keep in the engine compartment is not an option. While I appreciate suggestions, I'd like input from some who have no shit had this problem. Thank you.
Old 12 October 2017, 12:57
Old Scroll

Garage the vehicle with a cat living in there with it?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 October 2017, 13:00
Authorized Personnel

I've had this problem. The Victor snap traps with yellow bait pad has solved this problem for me. Put them under the car, even put them on the engine bay and closed hood. Caught a bunch and after awhile you will see no more.
Old 12 October 2017, 13:02
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

My uncle had a late 1970s Jeep that got eaten up by an otter once. It chewed on hoses, belts, the rubber mud flap that rings the wheel well, etc. one Thursday night. He spent the next two nights sitting in his kids' tree house with a rifle watching the Jeep parked under the yard light. Saturday night he shot the otter and he never had the problem again. Why did the otter eat the Jeep? I dunno, I don't speak otter. Maybe I otter, though.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 October 2017, 13:03
Confirmed User

Had a problem with this a few years ago. The only thing I could think of, other than the whole garage thing, was to wrap wires in some sort of protective wrap like that foil tape or replace spark plug wires with the kind that had the stainless steel mesh in it. But even then I wasn't sure how to prevent those fuckers from hopping up in there and going to town on wires. Especially if it sits for long periods of time.
Old 12 October 2017, 13:10
Confirmed User

Same shit happened to my generator which I've kept covered outside...fuckers chewed through the wire harness, found acorn shells in places I didn't know rodents could get into. Will henceforth get garaged once I get it back....expensive fix though.

I've found all kinds of little nests in my vehicle engine compartments where they try to stay warm. Been lucky so far I guess.

A friend turned me on to this Blox Rodencide which I use around the house (attic/basement, out of the way of the dog). The rats eat it, then immediately go outside searching for water, once they drink it, they're dead..turned inside out.

Sucks about your car...
Old 12 October 2017, 13:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph View Post
I've had this problem. The Victor snap traps with yellow bait pad has solved this problem for me. Put them under the car, even put them on the engine bay and closed hood. Caught a bunch and after awhile you will see no more.
x2.......I have found the only way to prevent them from doing damage is to keep killing them. Even if they come in the garage they never stop running around looking for a snack. Snap em up in a trap as soon as they enter the area. Don't give em a chance to set up camp. Give them something tastier than anything in that engine compartment. 10 Victor mouse traps with yellow bait pad as Triumph mentioned. Check regularly. Usually at first you'll kill multiple mice every night or day then the frequency stabilizes and you'll pick up a couple here and there.
I would not waste any time or $$$ on electronic devices.
Just kill,kill,kill
Old 12 October 2017, 13:16
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Cost me $6k and I did what thee mechanic suggested to keep them at bay.
What is it that the mechanic suggested to you to keep them at bay?

At this point, I'm practically a pro with mice and rat issues.
Tried everything everyone and every website suggested. Dryer sheets don't work, cayenne pepper doesn't work, mints don't work, traps will be avoided.

I have finally found a solution that does work. The key is to not let the rodents feel safe in the engine bay. The only reason they feel safe is because it's an enclosed area. The answer is very simple - open the hood and leave it open, preferably with a light shining into the bay all night. The hood being open and the light makes the area unsafe for them and they won't nest in there. Try it and get back to me with your results.

Additionally, to prevent them from getting into the AC system and blower to make a nest, you pull the fenders and attach wire mesh to the openings that allow entry into the fender wells and under the windshield.

These two methods combined have resulted in my truck finally being free from rodents after years of being a victim. They still might nest in the spare tire under the rear, but at least the important parts are safe.

To push it further I plan to hang owl houses around my property. Owls are like cats with wings.
Old 12 October 2017, 13:20
Confirmed User

Are there any sprays out there that leave a film coating on the wires that would be unappetizing for the rodents without residue blasting through your air vents or eating through the wire insulation? Like a bug-bomb or some Raid? Chemical warfare may be a good option for this.

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke
Old 12 October 2017, 13:23

Mothballs. Pretty safe if you're not inhaling them for long periods, and if family pets aren't likely to eat them.
Need to disperse in affected areas in quantity that the odor is obnoxious enough to be a deterrent, which might be difficult in a garage, under a hood, etc. I use them around the air intake of my bike after the tech found two hands-ful of sunflower seed hulls around the filter one spring.

Was trying to work a DarkHelmet/raccoon joke in there somewhere, but I got nothin'.
DaveP
Old 12 October 2017, 13:27
Make a desert and call it peace.

I just genocide the fuckers. I was using spring loaded mouse traps from the local hardware store, but the springs wear out or they get the gore smell on them and they stop working. I'm next to a creek, so they're a real issue. I went industrial death camp on them. The first couple nights were multi-kills, but it's tapered off. S/F...Ken M

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-mul...SABEgLQNvD_BwE
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 12 October 2017, 13:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
What is it that the mechanic suggested to you to keep them at bay?

At this point, I'm practically a pro with mice and rat issues.
Tried everything everyone and every website suggested. Dryer sheets don't work, cayenne pepper doesn't work, mints don't work, traps will be avoided.

I have finally found a solution that does work. The key is to not let the rodents feel safe in the engine bay. The only reason they feel safe is because it's an enclosed area. The answer is very simple - open the hood and leave it open, preferably with a light shining into the bay all night. The hood being open and the light makes the area unsafe for them and they won't nest in there. Try it and get back to me with your results.

Additionally, to prevent them from getting into the AC system and blower to make a nest, you pull the fenders and attach wire mesh to the openings that allow entry into the fender wells and under the windshield.

These two methods combined have resulted in my truck finally being free from rodents after years of being a victim. They still might nest in the spare tire under the rear, but at least the important parts are safe.

To push it further I plan to hang owl houses around my property. Owls are like cats with wings.
LOL, dude told me to use the dryer sheets. We replaced the totaled Lexus with a new Lexus RX350 last week so "modifying" anything on the vehicle is a no-go. I live in SoCal, the stolen vehicle capital of the world so I'm not too sure about leaving the hood open overnight. I may try a light under the vehicle pointing up in addition to the snap traps and glue traps. Fuck, at this point I might take cat #2 and leash her ass to the tires overnight.
Old 12 October 2017, 13:34
Confirmed User

1 cup of flour, I cup of sugar, 1 1/4 cup baking soda mix all together,

use gloves pour in a coffee lid etc. place under your car or around your car. They love the this mixture an it takes about 2-3 day to kill them.

Don't ask me why this works but it does.

IT WILL NOT HURT your cats or dogs/ pets
Old 12 October 2017, 13:35
Confirmed User

Removed
Old 12 October 2017, 13:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I just genocide the fuckers. I was using spring loaded mouse traps from the local hardware store, but the springs wear out or they get the gore smell on them and they stop working. I'm next to a creek, so they're a real issue. I went industrial death camp on them. The first couple nights were multi-kills, but it's tapered off. S/F...Ken M

This thing sounds awesome! I've been battling mice in my chicken coop for years, and I'm pretty sure they have removed all of the insulation from the walls. I'm getting one!
Old 12 October 2017, 13:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
1 cup of flour, I cup of sugar, 1 1/4 cup baking soda mix all together,

use gloves pour in a coffee lid etc. place under your car or around your car. They love the this mixture an it takes about 2-3 day to kill them.

Don't ask me why this works but it does.

IT WILL NOT HURT your cats or dogs/ pets
That'll freeze up here
Old 12 October 2017, 14:00
Confirmed User

Quote:

I need one of those. But for peo---er, I mean "bears".
Old 12 October 2017, 14:01
Make a desert and call it peace.

Peanut butter, the cheap stuff works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aMVIwJQ6k

This dude is like some sort of mouse genocide maniac, and he tests the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRWbSJ-Lfos

S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 12 October 2017, 14:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Mothballs. Pretty safe if you're not inhaling them for long periods, and if family pets aren't likely to eat them.
Need to disperse in affected areas in quantity that the odor is obnoxious enough to be a deterrent, which might be difficult in a garage, under a hood, etc. I use them around the air intake of my bike after the tech found two hands-ful of sunflower seed hulls around the filter one spring.

Was trying to work a DarkHelmet/raccoon joke in there somewhere, but I got nothin'.
DaveP
This is what I use. I throw them all around my shop and it keeps the larger vermin out as well, snakes, skunks, possums etc. Some folks say peppermint oil on cotton balls, but the moth balls are easier.
Old 12 October 2017, 14:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
This dude is like some sort of mouse genocide maniac, and he tests the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRWbSJ-Lfos

S/F....Ken M
Holy shit. Is it wrong that I want one and just feed it mice I bought at the pet store all day long????
And talk about an awesome job being an engineer building those things. Wake up. Have a cup of Joe. Invent another ingenious killing machine.

Hello alphabet profilers......

Our new posting rules