Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > How Not to Post

Old 29 November 2003, 17:34
Easily irritated

The best advice I can possibly give is to return to school. So what if you are 19 when you graduate, the Navy will still be there.

Oh, yeah, check that quotation by de Tocqueville..I don't belive he ever said or wrote that. What you have, it appears, is a bastardizatin of Alexander Fraser Tytler, writing about the Athenian republic. If not, Tocquevill is a plagiarist.

Last edited by fish78; 29 November 2003 at 17:40.
Old 29 November 2003, 17:38
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by fish78
The best advice I can possibly give is to return to school. So what if you are 19 when you graduate, the Navy will still be there.
If I'm going to be taking college classes, I'll most definatly get the 15 credits that place me in Tier 1, so why even bother with High School?

Quote:
Oh, yeah, check that quotation by de Tocqueville..I don't belive he ever said or wrote that. What you have, it appears, is a bastardizatin of Alexander Fraser Tytler, writing about the Athenian republic. If not, Tocquevill is a plagiarist.
I actualy don't even know who the person is, I saw the quote and I was like that's a good quote! :)

...EDIT: I just went to google and it seems pretty legit...
Old 29 November 2003, 17:51
NEW TO SOCNET

Quote:
Originally posted by WhenTheEagleCries

I actualy don't even know who the person is, I saw the quote and I was like that's a good quote! :)
Then perhaps you could indeed benefit from attending High School?

The US Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If you miss your ex frequently, consider better optics for your rifle.

"The baby will be slippery, if you drop it don't stare, PICK IT UP !!!" - OB/GYN Wisdom
Old 29 November 2003, 17:52
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sneaky SF Dude
Then perhaps you could indeed benefit from attending High School?
Perhaps, or I could get online and read about him...

I highly doubt they teach about him in high school anyhow...

You'd be surprised what they're shoving down our throats these days :)

Then again, he is French...:D
Old 29 November 2003, 17:55
Confirmed User

Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
My question is any of this going to cause me problems?

What kind of problems are YOU thinking of?

I feel like subject A is turning into subject B here
Old 29 November 2003, 17:58
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
Originally posted by Ratliff
What kind of problems are YOU thinking of?

I feel like subject A is turning into subject B here
When I go to the recruiter are they going to give me a line of BS. I know recruiters are known for being clowns, and I know what I've read as far as percentages with a GED, etc, but the 15 college credits should take care of that...

What should I expect?
Old 29 November 2003, 18:02
Walk the plank

Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
When I go to the recruiter are they going to give me a line of BS. I know recruiters are known for being clowns, and I know what I've read as far as percentages with a GED, etc, but the 15 college credits should take care of that...

What should I expect?
I can tell you what not to expect. An enlistment bonus!
Old 29 November 2003, 18:03
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Re: Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoplite11B
I can tell you what not to expect. An enlistment bonus!
Money means absolutely nothing to me. If I wanted money I sure wouldn't be joining the United States Armed Forces.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:05
Confirmed User

Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:

What should I expect?
Well im not filling a recruiting billet right now so i cant give you a striaght up answer,but, just study for your ASVAB test and do your best on that. Then your at the mercy of the recruiter. Remember they WANT to get you in. Oh, adn what Hoplite said too:D
Old 29 November 2003, 18:06
Easily irritated

Quote:
so why even bother with High School
Well I certainly want you do do anything that causes you any bother.

The quotation from Tytler.

Sir Alex Fraser Tytler (1742-1813). Scottish jurist and historian, he was widely known in his time and was professor of Universal History at Edinburgh University in the late 18th century.

The quotation is from the 1801 collection of his lectures:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's great civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence:
from bondage to spiritual faith;
from spiritual faith to great courage;
from courage to liberty;
from liberty to abundance;
from abundance to selfishness;
from selfishness to complacency;
from complacency to apathy;
from apathy to dependency;
from dependency back again to bondage."
Old 29 November 2003, 18:07
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Re: Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
Well im not filling a recruiting billet right now so i cant give you a striaght up answer,but, just study for your ASVAB test and do your best on that. Then your at the mercy of the recruiter. Remember they WANT to get you in. Oh, adn what Hoplite said too:D
Alright :) Thank you very much.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:07
Walk the plank

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
Money means absolutely nothing to me. If I wanted money I sure wouldn't be joining the United States Armed Forces.
So money and a diploma mean nothing to you. I guess success also means nothing to you. It all makes sense now.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:09
NEW TO SOCNET

You saying "I know recruiters are known for being clowns, ..." is akin to me saying all 17 year-old kids that drop out of High School are ignorant ass clowns that don't deserve the time of day.

There are soldiers on this board that have gone out of their way to help the best and brightest enter military service, often at the expense of their own family life and possibly professional development.

Seek life elsewhere. Might I suggest Harvard.

The US Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If you miss your ex frequently, consider better optics for your rifle.

"The baby will be slippery, if you drop it don't stare, PICK IT UP !!!" - OB/GYN Wisdom
Old 29 November 2003, 18:10
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Quote:
Well I certainly want you do do anything that causes you any bother.

The quotation from Tytler.

Sir Alex Fraser Tytler (1742-1813). Scottish jurist and historian, he was widely known in his time and was professor of Universal History at Edinburgh University in the late 18th century.

The quotation is from the 1801 collection of his lectures:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that time on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's great civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence:
from bondage to spiritual faith;
from spiritual faith to great courage;
from courage to liberty;
from liberty to abundance;
from abundance to selfishness;
from selfishness to complacency;
from complacency to apathy;
from apathy to dependency;
from dependency back again to bondage."
Good information, but the quote is still different. People share ideas :) if everyone had a new idea, nothing would get done.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:13
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sneaky SF Dude
You saying "I know recruiters are known for being clowns, ..." is akin to me saying all 17 year-old kids that drop out of High School are ignorant ass clowns that don't deserve the time of day.

There are soldiers on this board that have gone out of their way to help the best and brightest enter military service, often at the expense of their own family life and possibly professional development.

Seek life elsewhere. Might I suggest Harvard.
I bet 17 year olds that drop out of High School are ignorant ass clowns that don't deserve the time of day, so untill that's me, what can you label me as?

Recruiters are known to tell you anything to get you into the service, which I think is rather silly. I've found my experience with recruiters at my school to be a negative experience, not one of them even knew what USNSCC was...
Old 29 November 2003, 18:14
Easily irritated

I stll say Tocqueville did not use the word "bribe", nor do I believe a translator would be so sloppy. Cite the work please.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:14
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoplite11B
So money and a diploma mean nothing to you. I guess success also means nothing to you. It all makes sense now.
Success by your definition, than I'd have to agree.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
not one of them even knew what USNSCC was...

United States Navy Secret Cowboy Course.....?

I hope no-one lied to me
Old 29 November 2003, 18:19
Walk the plank

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: *Welcomes Self To SOCNET*

Quote:
Success by your definition, than I'd have to agree.
Every choice you make in life has its consequences down the line. From the most insignificant thing such as insulting someone at a party to a bad move like this comes back to the surface a few years down the road. I am not much older than you but I have been around long enough to see this happen. This decision you are making to drop out of school is one of the bad ones that will only make things harder for you later on in life.
Old 29 November 2003, 18:19
WhenTheEagleCries
Visitor

Quote:
United States Navy Secret Cowboy Course.....?

I hope no-one lied to me
HAHAHA

United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps

and for those quotes:

Alexander Tytler: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury"

Alexis de Tocqueville: "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

Two different quotes.

I believe his quote (from what I'm reading) Democracy in America

Our new posting rules