Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 November 2008, 22:36
Been There Done That

Okay if a ban is coming should I buy a Steyr (DSA) TMP 9mm assault pistol or a Saiga 12ga assault shotgun?

Keep in mind I already own all the practical "tacticool" type weapons.

Also as per usual I will give to the RNC and NRA....

Jundy
Old 11 November 2008, 18:54
Overseas Gunplumber

So a little update. It would appear that President Elect Obama decided that putting issues related to gun control on his website wasn't a good idea. Below is the current link to his website followed by the original link which talked about banning "assault weapons".

So either he changed his mind or he would rather that people not be able to see what he has in store.

http://www.change.gov/

http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy/

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 11 November 2008, 19:11
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz
So either he changed his mind or he would rather that people not be able to see what he has in store....
Maybe he's seeing that banning or restricting firearms is way down on his list of priorities right now. I mean, he's gonna have a bad enough approval rating as it is (as might anyone), pissing off a population that recently got a shot in the arm from the SCOTUS might not be the best avenue towards re-election....
Old 11 November 2008, 19:21
Been There, Done That

IMO, He will leave a lot of the work on gun control to his VP, who already has a background in this.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 11 November 2008, 19:34
Confirmed User

Oh well, change is coming.....one way or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSvBC...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTm5r...eature=related
Old 11 November 2008, 19:48
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

I'm sitting in class right now and my professor is outright stating that guns in the United States should be banned. On banning assault rifles, he says, "I saw a news article about a kid who killed his father... I think he used a rifle." Only one student other than me objected.

I'm going to hang myself with my laptop cord.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 11 November 2008, 20:06
Confirmed User

I just saw a clip on CNN about Change.gov. Apparently, all the issues they had listed and how they were going to address were pulled down and a vague couple paragraphs were put in place of them. According to the Obama camp it's because they are retooling the website.
Old 11 November 2008, 20:30
Blue and Gold

Abe Lincoln once said something along the lines of "The day they take away the 2nd amendment is the day it will have to be used".
Old 11 November 2008, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan
Abe Lincoln once said something along the lines of "The day they take away the 2nd amendment is the day it will have to be used".
Please point the readers to this, where/when....
Old 11 November 2008, 21:40
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCasp View Post
I just saw a clip on CNN about Change.gov. Apparently, all the issues they had listed and how they were going to address were pulled down and a vague couple paragraphs were put in place of them. According to the Obama camp it's because they are retooling the website.
Yeah the talk radio mafia started harping on some of them pretty hard. Like requiring 50 hrs of community service from students, and 100 hours per year from college students etc.
Later they said that this would get you 4K towards college but that wasnt mentioned on there. It basically said you would be volun-told to do this... Required Volunteer hours...

They dont want their shit disected before they get to put out the word Their way.

Helmet edit.

"If you become involved in a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but, rather, default to your level of training."
Old 11 November 2008, 21:52
Blue and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Please point the readers to this, where/when....
I am trying to find the where/when now. A civil rights/American history professor quoted it once in class.
Old 11 November 2008, 21:56
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Besides the 'common sense gun control' stuff he was talking about on the site, here is a quote from it before it was deleted:

When you choose to serve -- whether it's your nation, your community or simply your neighborhood -- you are connected to that fundamental American ideal that we want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness not just for ourselves, but for all Americans. That's why it's called the American dream."

Quote:
The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

"If you become involved in a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but, rather, default to your level of training."
Old 11 November 2008, 22:56
Blue and Gold

In the mean time I found this.

Old 11 November 2008, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan
In the mean time I found this....
Not at all the same. You stated a very clear reference to Lincoln, but if you can't prove he stated it, that's fine and answers my question the same as if you had the evidence....
Old 11 November 2008, 23:31
Authorized Personnel

Perhaps this is what was said by Lincoln:
‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
and
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

Last edited by e5wsf; 11 November 2008 at 23:33. Reason: Added
Old 11 November 2008, 23:31

NRA -

1. Can't support the NRA now. When Wayne LaPierre resigns I will buy my lifetime membership. His comments about the federal law enforcement agents as "jackbooted thugs" still rings in my ears. If President George H. W. Bush figures he needs to cancel his membership, me too.

2. A republican is sponsoring this legislation, next thing you know there will be a minority elected president, hey -- wait a minute.

3. Since we have been a republic, no legislation has ever removed firearms from the hands of Americans. While some are harder to get a hold of, most law abiding citizens can pay the fee and get there class III FFL and buy whatever they want. Anti gun legislation is another push your button legislation tactic like abortion and morality. (By the way, 8 years of republican president, 6 years of majority controlled congress and 5 conservative Supreme Court justices and HOW many attempts to repeal Roe vs. Wade - 0 !!!

The man isn't even in office and here we are already taking up our positions, rifles out, locked and loaded. Why don't we at least let him make a move before we blast him. Lets drop the monikers of republican and democrat, conservative and liberal. These are just Washington buzzwords that help people draw support for elections.

Damn partisianship!!! I was an American long before I joined a political party.

That's it for me, time to kill Bambi, God bless.

AF
Old 12 November 2008, 00:22
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
Doesn't sound like something Abe Lincoln would have said. Thomas Jefferson? Possibly.

I think that politicians in general have discovered that gun-control actions like various bans, etc. are counter-productive to them having long political careers. I doubt very much that we will see anothe AWB or anything similar. Controls on ammunition? Feature requirements (biometrics)? Trigger lock requirements? Manufacturer liability issues?

Those are much more likely in my opinion.
Old 12 November 2008, 00:28
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I'm going to hang myself with my laptop cord.
Don't say that out loud. Next they'll start banning laptop cords as dangerous weapons. :D

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 November 2008, 00:41
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Don't say that out loud. Next they'll start banning laptop cords as dangerous weapons. :D
That'll get us wireless recharging? COOL!!
Old 12 November 2008, 00:47
Blue and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5wsf View Post
Perhaps this is what was said by Lincoln:
‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
and
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."
e5swf - Thanks, I guess my professor took his own freedom to change what was said.

SOTB - I posted that pic when I was searching for a reference and it seems e5swf beat me to it.

Sorry all for the inaccurate quote. If I knew it wasnt what was originally said then I wouldn't of quoted it.

Our new posting rules