Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 April 2009, 10:16
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Guys who cook....

I'm not sure this question/topic has been posted before, and I'm curious as to the answers. Of the guys here on the board, who cooks -- not in the occasional sense (wife/GF sick, wife/GF away, NO wife/GF -- LOL), but as in you cook, ad you do so routinely.

IE, in my case, I do the breakfast in our house. We usually don't have much of a breakfast during the week -- cereals, tacos, Eggos -- but on the weekend I do pancakes or waffles (blueberry or banana), eggs, bacon, ham, biscuits, corned-beef, etc. (not all of those at the same time, though). No one else goes near the kitchen for weekend breakfast cooking purposes -- they wait upstairs until I give the word (actually, that is exactly what I do -- I yell "FOOD!"). I'm also the baker -- cookies, brownies, cakes, etc.

Who else?

(This question is for GUYS -- as we already know chicks cook -- and clean the house, and go to the Blockbuster and rent us a new XBox 360 game, and bring us the TV remote when it is on the other side of the bed and we need you to come upstairs from whatever you are doing to get it and pass it the 3ft distance to us, etc.)
Old 5 April 2009, 10:27
Sweep the leg...

Taco night is about all I can claim, bro. I LOVE tacos which is why I'm "allowed" to cook them in my home. I put a lot of love and care into them.

My wife also says, "It's your night to cook, and I don't want tacos..." when she's in the mood for take out -- we love places like Olive Garden, but in the comfort of our home. So it's off to the internet to go through online menus, order the food, and it's up to me to go get it.

My wife loves my cooking, especially when it's NOT taco night...
Old 5 April 2009, 10:28
Confirmed User

I do all the cooking in our house. It's for my own health and safety.
Old 5 April 2009, 10:50
Sound off for equipment check!

I am "The Ram What Am" when it comes to food.

Breakfast -
Omelettes- all kinds. When preparing multiple omelettes or for kids, use one ziplock bag per omellete and place open in bowl or cup, put two eggs in, and add ingredients as desired. Squeeze out air, and seal. Knead bag to mix. Mark name w/ Sharpie on bag, and place in pot of boiling water for 12-15 min. Very good w/kids who want 'individualized' omelettes. All finish at the same time, dump finished omellete from baggie onto plate, and season as desired.
Oatmeal- Use steel cut only. Place dry in pan and heat pan, stirring or shaking frequently to roast the oatmeal before adding water and/or milk to cook. The aroma of roasted (do not burn!) oatmeal fills house. I prefer to cook with lowfat milk. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, fruit or whatever you please.

Grilling - Low and slow is always best. Appropriate use of rubs, mops, or sauces, depending on meat and event. I never take the HH6 out for a special event. I cater at home . . .

I could go on, but seriously, for those who haven't discovered the power of cooking, you have no idea what you are missing.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 5 April 2009, 10:58
BTDT

I'm not much of a cook. I do grill steaks, primarily on a Big Breen Egg. Oh, and I also decant the Vino.

But I look forward to reading this thread.
Old 5 April 2009, 11:02
Been There Done That

I cook quit a bit.
I like this site a lot www.allrecipes.com
Old 5 April 2009, 11:16
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

My wife's a great cook, so she does the cooking 99% of the time. I surprise her with something once in a while or whip something up for special occasions. I'm usually best at things that develop around pasta.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 5 April 2009, 11:35
On the Extract Bird

When home, I do all the cooking in my household, and have for the better part of a quarter century. The wife cleans up and I get to play in the kitchen, something that I have always enjoyed and find relaxing as hell.

The only aspect of being "the chef" I do not excel in is baking, never enjoyed that much.

I really wish I was the HMFIC of my own little bistro.

Last edited by CarbineM1; 5 April 2009 at 11:39.
Old 5 April 2009, 11:53
Confirmed User

We split it 50-50. She is a school trained cook and I'm Betty Crocker trained. Also she is from Pa and I am a NC mountain boy so the different regions usually come out in the food.
Old 5 April 2009, 11:53
Confirmed User

I learned to cook Puerco Pibil off the Robert Rodriguez special features on Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and also the breakfast tacos from the Sin City's Special Features. You should check it out. Puerco Pibil is slow-roasted pork butt covered in achiote paste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8EiScBEjA

I think this might be a big hit with your wife, and kids.
Old 5 April 2009, 11:55
Confirmed Abuser

I used to cook quite a bit when the kids were younger, now that they are grown, neither of us cooks much other than a breakfast on weekend.

I did/do enjoy cooking, but I tend to take on more gourmet type projects, as I enjoy having friends over, and tasting new dishes from other cultures, and trying new wines. The big problem, belief it or not, was inviting people over to eat, who enjoyed gourmet cooking as much as us.

It is surprising how many people are so fussy about food, and the few you do meet, you seem to loose contact with over the years, due to moving from job promotions, ect...
Old 5 April 2009, 12:06
Authorized Personnel

I started working in restaurants my last year of active duty and stuck with it for another 8 years to support college and the launch of my small business in NYC. Every conceivable position, from dishwasher to owner near the end. Holy hell, is restaurant ownership a nightmare. Anyway, I picked up some pretty rad knife skills along the way. Most of my time was behind the bar (sweet, sweet liquor...ahhhh) but plenty of time on the line watching chefs work their mojo.

For you young cats: You might have game, but nothing drops the linen and keeps her grinnin' like a properly cooked entree' and $30.00 bottle of Cabernet sauvignon. My wife of 12 years proposed to me after a particularly bitchin' surf and turf, and she was a vegetarian model at the time. Heh. I declined, and proposed a couple of weeks later when she dropped back into college to pursue a teaching degree. She still digs surf and turf.
Old 5 April 2009, 12:22
Been There Done That

I got forced into cooking when I was working full time as a firefighter. I hated it first, because cooking regularly for 12 dudes was a pain, but after a while I ended up becoming fairly decent at it. When I realized chicks dig having a dude cook for them on a date and my getting laidness factor went up because of it, I was hooked!
Old 5 April 2009, 12:54
Drawing my cutlass

When my wife, the Colombian linda hermosa esposa....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I'm not sure this question/topic has been posted before, and I'm curious as to the answers. Of the guys here on the board, who cooks -- not in the occasional sense (wife/GF sick, wife/GF away, NO wife/GF -- LOL), but as in you cook, ad you do so routinely.

IE, in my case, I do the breakfast in our house. We usually don't have much of a breakfast during the week -- cereals, tacos, Eggos -- but on the weekend I do pancakes or waffles (blueberry or banana), eggs, bacon, ham, biscuits, corned-beef, etc. (not all of those at the same time, though). No one else goes near the kitchen for weekend breakfast cooking purposes -- they wait upstairs until I give the word (actually, that is exactly what I do -- I yell "FOOD!"). I'm also the baker -- cookies, brownies, cakes, etc.

Who else?

(This question is for GUYS -- as we already know chicks cook -- and clean the house, and go to the Blockbuster and rent us a new XBox 360 game, and bring us the TV remote when it is on the other side of the bed and we need you to come upstairs from whatever you are doing to get it and pass it the 3ft distance to us, etc.)
...allows me to cook, I take pages (OK paragraphs, OK sentences, fine, an occasional vowel) from the Food Channel programs and go to town on both breakfast and dinner. Unfortunately, the beauty has a tendency to hover when I do and it usually takes a firm, but loving, "Get out of my kitchen," to unass her from the AO.

Note: Colombian women rule the kitchen.
Old 5 April 2009, 12:59
Chew Toy of the Gods

Grilling is Cooking?

I guess I cook (dead animals on the grill) about 2-3 times a week, plus relatively easy stuff in the kitchen.
I also cook breakfast.
Weekdays = cereal, fruit, bacon, toast - no challenge there
Weekends = pancakes, waffles (waffle iron), bacon & eggs

"Zombie fire ants may sound like a science-fiction movie, but they are the real deal ..."
-Mary Lee, KXAN, Austin
Old 5 April 2009, 13:14
Confirmed User

Since my daughter went off to college three years ago my wife has been cooking less, and I've been cooking more. I get up early so breakfast and lunch plans are all mine, and dinner is pretty much getting to be my call. It's gotten to the point where I find myself getting irritated if my wife enters the kitchen while I'm busy.

My experimental culinary skills all began with Ramen soup, C-ration chopped chicken, and a canteen cup with a heat tab. In the right conditions that was a real feast. I've improved quite a bit since that time, and being able to read cooking instructions doesn't hurt. You've got to know how long to set the micro-wave timer for, and when to pull off the plastic cover!
Old 5 April 2009, 13:20
Confirmed Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
My experimental culinary skills all began with Ramen soup, C-ration chopped chicken, and a canteen cup with a heat tab.
LOL, I bet that was fun for the wife and family unit.
Old 5 April 2009, 13:23
What the F@%* do I know??

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCut View Post
For you young cats: You might have game, but nothing drops the linen and keeps her grinnin' like a properly cooked entree'
I have to agree 200%; a well cook meal with proper presentation is a sure thing. I actually ended up in the South of France cooking for a friend from school, witch lead to cooking for many of her friends. That was before I was married and a hole other story.

I was lucky enough to have a mother that taught me and my brother how to cook and bake from a very young age. It also did not hurt that my uncle and grandmother cooked professionally and owned restaurants in Milwaukee. It is something of a stress reliever for me. Several times a year I have dinner partys for friends. I have also been known to cook for guys traveling thru my AO. If I were not in my current line of work I would have been a professional chef. Anyway cooking is just as important as any other skill set you may learn. Hell, I got my fine ass 22yr old wife from cooking
D
This then, is what allows me—knowing your high Standards for quality, reliability and excellence—to offer you my services. I'm experienced, highly skilled, and silent professional who prefers to plan, train, and support in such a manner that precludes or prevents risks rather than attempting to control them—in a reactionary manner . . .
Old 5 April 2009, 13:26
Authorized Personnel

I thought I made a good lasagna but wife and children came clean after 3 years of roughing it :)

I make a damn good chicken parmasian and anything(other than Lasagna) that has to deal with tomato based sausces and pasta.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 5 April 2009, 13:29
Confirmed User

Strictly breakfast. The works. I'm looking for a memorable sausage gravy recipe if anyone has one.

Our new posting rules