Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 February 2013, 10:13
On the Extract Bird

Yeah, our enemies around the world are really shaking in their boots. I mean I'd be afraid of this President too.
Old 12 February 2013, 10:33
Been There Done That

Yawn
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 February 2013, 12:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
Vice Travel Guide to NK

I wasnt sure if I should start my own thread for this, but the VICE travel guide to NK is one of the craziest things i've ever seen. Ever.

- Local
That series is pretty cool. He has one on Chernobyl, too that was interesting.
Old 12 February 2013, 12:48
Been There Done That

Just to be clear, I am not picking another fight with OTB. My intent was to yawn at the topic of NK testing another nuke. I see them as a pawn. That is all.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 12 February 2013, 12:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideTheB View Post
Yeah, our enemies around the world are really shaking in their boots. I mean I'd be afraid of this President too.
Who was the last president NK was "afraid" of?

They performed one in 2006 under the previous President and, in fact, ramped up most of their capabilities during his Presidency.

They built a reactor in the 1980s under Reagan...

Their second test was in 2009...
Old 12 February 2013, 13:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideTheB View Post
While I agree with a lot of what you are sarcastically implying, I don't think it has anything to do with this particular situation. NK has proven thru the years that they aren't afraid to thumb their nose at anyone....no matter who is our President.

Maybe if big brother China didn't keep the apron strings tied around them that might change but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 12 February 2013, 14:53
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
That series is pretty cool. He has one on Chernobyl, too that was interesting.
off topic:

All the VICE travel guides are pretty crazy. The Pakistan gun market is the craziest one to me.

- Local
Old 12 April 2017, 20:04
Confronting the Reckoning

Taken out of the Missiles into Syria Thread

This [the Tomahawk missile strikes in Syria] seems to me to be about sending a message to the North Koreans via Syria. And the Chinese are on board. Now I'm happy to be corrected about the significance of the Chinese Global Times serving as a true voice or clear sign of the Chinese government's mind, but these lines from today's editorial stuck out big time:

"Washington's latest threat to Pyongyang is more credible given its just launched missile attack at an air base in SyriaÖTrump is also willing to be regarded as a man who honors his promises....China will not remain indifferent to Pyongyang's aggravating violation of the UN Security Council (UNSC) resolution...."

They're going to resolve North Korea first, and then with the threat of a rogue nuke guy mitigated, then work on Syria. But not until the North Korea situation is finished first, so we can save money by reducing our NorthEast Asia footprint.

VOA and other outlets are reporting that the North Koreans apparently are preparing a new nuclear device for testing. The Chinese are, according to some press accounts, putting their forces on alert to be ready to move to the North Korean border, and are making public statements about their willingness to bring their own firm pressure to bear on the North Koreans. So it appears that we are rapidly reaching a decision point in the next few days.
Old 12 April 2017, 20:31
Been There Done That

The Chinese also to the NORK's to F off on their coal and is buying from the US instead. I'm not sure what happened at the dinner/meetings last week but it sounds a bit like 'Art of the Deal'.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...s-instead.html
ETA: Kim Il-Sung's 105th birthday is Saturday, usually a day of shenanigans in Pyongyang.
Old 12 April 2017, 23:57
Newbie shooter

foreign journalists in NK have been told to wake up at 6:20am local time tomorrow for 'big event.'

150k Chinese troops on the border...

CBG steaming in.

Sounds like an interesting mix.
Old 13 April 2017, 02:47
Confirmed User

Right now the NK regime is reaching the point where it either folds or continues with a massively dialed down rethoric.

Chinese are steadily cooling NK-PRC relations, Russia is largely indifferent. And international community as a whole is simply tired of the same schtick played over and over. Kim would like to kill two birds with one stone: First is the international aid and second is becoming a player. Since Asians are notoriously concerned about loss of face, Kim cannot just call Trump and say that he needs help. He tries to show off plus he dreams that by testing nuclear weapons he might become a player. He's like a neighborhood's poorest gangster who dreams about being the top dog and spends all the money on it while having his wife and children starve at his house.

What I think will happen now is that the strike group will conduct exercises, maybe flyovers, flex their muscles and NK will stay silent in terms of military response, just spew a neverending stream of warnings and stories about how outrageous it all is. Honestly, If I ever saw anyone cry uncle in international politics, that would be NK now. They know they crossed the line and again they try to gamble something out of this but at the same time they are scared to death, IMHO. The NK military is interesting in getting money, amassing power and getting rich. IMO they won't go to war, neither conventional or nuclear one, with any regional or global actor. What for?
Old 13 April 2017, 02:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
foreign journalists in NK have been told to wake up at 6:20am local time tomorrow for 'big event.'

150k Chinese troops on the border...

CBG steaming in.

Sounds like an interesting mix.
150K Chinese troops on the border to keep the starving North Korean refuges on their side of the fence........
Old 13 April 2017, 07:17
On the Extract Bird

Yeah I read they were in the process of "evacuating ~60k people from Pyongyang".

Interesting times indeed.
Old 13 April 2017, 07:22
On the Extract Bird

If you want to watch a live-stream of all the happenings from Best-Korea's TV broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjjHpUf6SRg

This shit's like watching something from another goddamn planet.....
Old 13 April 2017, 07:35
A lost ball in high weeds

Let's hope that nuclear weapon test is done inside the DPRK.

Quote:
IMO they won't go to war, neither conventional or nuclear one, with any regional or global actor. What for?
That assumes they are rational. Their actions imply otherwise. I think war is inevitable.
Old 13 April 2017, 08:01
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Yeah I read they were in the process of "evacuating ~60k people from Pyongyang".

Interesting times indeed.
To where?
Old 13 April 2017, 08:19
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
To where?
Doesn't say where to.....

A couple more articles with the same basic stuff, just different flavor

http://www.unilad.co.uk/politics/600000-people-in-north-korea-told-to-evacuate-immediately/

And if you believe anything out of pravda: http://www.pravdareport.com/hotspots/conflicts/12-04-2017/137480-pyongyang_evacuation-0/

More:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pyongyang+evacuating+people&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 13 April 2017, 08:44
Confirmed User

So you guys think they might put their Hwasongs and Pukkusongs, Taepodongs and what have they in air for real this time? Or maybe they will attempt to engage CSG with theatre ballistic missiles?

I sincerely hope that Kim, or more precisely guys behind him, do not want to go out in flames. It's been a while since I researched NK military, but apart from ICBM/TBM fielded by NK SRF they don't have a sea/land/air force capable of engaging U.S. toe-to-toe in an open conflict? Crunching numbers provided by DoD in their report:

https://www.defense.gov/Portals/1/Do...Korea_2015.PDF

shows that it's still largely an old-fashioned army with an emphasis on ground forces and dated equipment.

But they seem to have enough rice to be ready for Armageddon, that's for sure.
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nort...03500315F.HTML
Old 13 April 2017, 20:23
Confirmed User

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-...uclear-n746366

This might be a good weekend to head to the mountains.
Old 13 April 2017, 21:50
Very Deplorable

This is what the US needed.
The world of ridiculousness by our enemies and passiveness on our behalf over the last 8 years is over. Step out of line and we will demonstrate our strength and make an example out of you.
I got $100 says not even the Rooskies will be "annexing" anymore shit with President Trump in office.

The world will come to respect us and our enemies will come to fear us once again.

I'm all for this projection of strength. Fuck Kim, it's high time somebody smacked him upside the head.

Our new posting rules