Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 April 2017, 22:12
Confronting the Reckoning

I don't know if we're there yet, but I do fear a North Korean ICBM with nuclear warhead launched for airburst several miles above the west coast. The resulting effects would be severe to say the least for our economy, and would make us feel what the Norks have forced on their people for several generations.
Old 13 April 2017, 22:35
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
I don't know if we're there yet, but I do fear a North Korean ICBM with nuclear warhead launched for airburst several miles above the west coast. The resulting effects would be severe to say the least for our economy, and would make us feel what the Norks have forced on their people for several generations.
I think I am far enough east that I'd do ok.
Old 13 April 2017, 22:38
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
I may be a far outlier on this one, but I think that one of Lil Kim's closest advisors may put a 2 X 4 to the back of his head before they would do that. Korea needs to keep their little kingdom to themselves. Big Brother won't let them get anything from them and they can't beat us. He needs to be happy with his little brainwashed kingdom where he amounts to something.
Old 13 April 2017, 23:02
Newbie shooter

I read a theory that China was plotting regime change with Kim's uncle and Kim caught wind of it and that was why he was really killed.

Interesting times indeed. 38north says lots of activities in their nuclear test range. April 15 is the day of the sun aka dear leaders birthday - the day they would do something crazy. Chinese gov run newspaper had an article (since removed) saying that if NK got nuclear crap on their side of the border they would have all options on the table.

NK may not have a credible delivery system yet for their nukes but they could certainly put one in a sub and float it into a SK / Japan harbor and set it off.

Crazy times this weekend, hope all our guys over there are ready and I wish them all the best.
Old 13 April 2017, 23:46
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
I may be a far outlier on this one, but I think that one of Lil Kim's closest advisors may put a 2 X 4 to the back of his head before they would do that.
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the top brass is having treasonous thoughts right now. First the coal freighter, then China abstaining on the Syria vote. Some Colonel must be wondering how grateful China would be if someone on the inside sorted him out. To say nothing of how fast the U.S. would fall all over itself to help out that guy with a fat aid package. Toss a rock with a note on it across the DMZ to SK with an offer...
Old 14 April 2017, 04:35
Authorized Personnel

I can't see a good outcome in the near future.

We can break North Korea in a New York minute, wanting the US to rebuild the damn place is the a problem .

Sure hope that a deal was made to let China handle their neighbor..
Old 14 April 2017, 05:26
Confirmed User

What I think is that any invasion of North Korea aimed at overthrowing the regime would immediately turn into a humanitarian mission. That would include many NK soldiers who would probably desert en masse.
Old 14 April 2017, 10:58
Confirmed User

The NK ruler and the ruler before him have survived because they have huge crazy. Sure we could win a war with NK. But could we do it before they nuke SK? That question has kept those crazy little fat guys alive.
Old 14 April 2017, 11:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
The NK ruler and the ruler before him have survived because they have huge crazy. Sure we could win a war with NK. But could we do it before they nuke SK? That question has kept those crazy little fat guys alive.
And because China has kept them along as a convenient foil and distraction - as long as we keep paying attention to NK crazy they can pretty much do what they want.
Old 14 April 2017, 11:38
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
What I think is that any invasion of North Korea aimed at overthrowing the regime would immediately turn into a humanitarian mission. That would include many NK soldiers who would probably desert en masse.
Maybe. And maybe not. I'd say that entirely depends on the propaganda that has been spread about the West. As in the Japanese in WWII.
Old 14 April 2017, 11:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Maybe. And maybe not. I'd say that entirely depends on the propaganda that has been spread about the West. As in the Japanese in WWII.
Bingo.

We need to get away from our attitude that if we show up we'll be welcomed liberators from oppression. While in some cases that is true, in others, like in NK that have a society completely isolated and brainwashed I don't think it would be the case.

Last edited by KidA; 14 April 2017 at 11:46.
Old 14 April 2017, 12:02
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Not versed on NORK group-think, but I'd be willing to bet that they've got some sort of Bushido thing going on regarding surrender that wouldn't be particularly pretty should things go sideways for them in a shooting war.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 14 April 2017, 12:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Not versed on NORK group-think, but I'd be willing to bet that they've got some sort of Bushido thing going on regarding surrender that wouldn't be particularly pretty should things go sideways for them in a shooting war.
And given the stories of how family members (even vastly extended members) co-workers, etc are punished as harshly as the offender, there's going to be a whole lot of "if I give up or am captured my family will be killed" going on.
Old 14 April 2017, 12:05
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
I'd bet they've been told the west will BBQ their children in front of them and eat them with a nice Pinot. I guess a follow on question is what will their lack nutrition going to contribute?
Old 14 April 2017, 12:30
Been There Done That

If Jim Jones convinced a couple hundred people to drink the Kool Aid in a couple of years - imagine what you can convince a people of in several generations...
Old 14 April 2017, 12:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
If Jim Jones convinced a couple hundred people to drink the Kool Aid in a couple of years - imagine what you can convince a people of in several generations...
Exactly... I've read a few stories about NK refugees especially those that escape the camps that end up in Seoul who have a complete meltdown and cannot handle a modern, technical society like SK, which is a huge disconnect from their previous Stone Age surroundings - starvation, cannibilism, no iPhones... etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 14 April 2017, 13:56
Wolverines!

What I wonder is what our response would be if they went nuclear on SK, Japan or one of our bases that they're able to target.... Or if they make an attempt at an EMP strike on our West Coast.
Old 14 April 2017, 13:57
Confirmed User

My question is how does such an impoverished nation develop an A-Bomb in the first place??
Old 14 April 2017, 14:00
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
What I wonder is what our response would be if they went nuclear on SK, Japan or one of our bases that they're able to target.... Or if they make an attempt at an EMP strike on our West Coast.
Those that are within his upper ranking know what would happen if they did that. They would lose their little kingdom. There is a reason no one has gone nuclear since we last did. Although they are all puppets...I think much of it is out of fear rather than complete brainwashing.
Old 14 April 2017, 14:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
My question is how does such an impoverished nation develop an A-Bomb in the first place??
Pakistan

Our new posting rules