Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 August 2010, 19:39
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Mandatory Christmas parties so the junior troop know you care about them. It should be on a weekend because if they see you giving up your precious free time to spend the day with them, they'll have to respect that.
Wow! You just brought up some bad memories! I always hated mandatory fun time.
Old 8 December 2010, 22:00
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Looks like there's been another video released. I don't know if it's been analyzed to determine how old it is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_afghanistan
Old 10 December 2010, 20:39
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Why not just buy the new Medal of Honor vid game?
Coffee + Computer + SOTB post = new keyboard...
Old 15 January 2014, 17:46

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/15/world/...deo/index.html

We need to get Bowe Bergdahl the fuck out of there.
Old 15 January 2014, 18:48
Been There Done That

I have no special knowledge but my assessment is that the current administration gives zero fucks about this guy.

No press stories about Berghdal let alone about Afghanistan on the news in the last few days.
Old 15 January 2014, 19:13
On the Extract Bird

How in hell did I miss this?

Fuck Bowe Bergdahl. He got drunk, got his ass chewed, got butt-hurt, and walked off his post with a pocket full of knives to go be a Zen Master in the mountains with his Afghan buddies. Basically, he deserted in a time of war. The war came to a virtual stand-still for weeks while looking for him, and not everyone who went looking for him came back unharmed. If he appears to be in poor health, it's probably just gonorrhea of the ass.
Old 15 January 2014, 19:14
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

His family came forward several years ago (after being advised not to publicize his plight by the Army) because they thought he was being swept under the rug.

I expect as we come closer to the "official" withdraw date from Afghanistan this year we'll start to see more stories.
Old 15 January 2014, 23:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociMorte View Post
How in hell did I miss this?

Fuck Bowe Bergdahl. He got drunk, got his ass chewed, got butt-hurt, and walked off his post with a pocket full of knives to go be a Zen Master in the mountains with his Afghan buddies. Basically, he deserted in a time of war. The war came to a virtual stand-still for weeks while looking for him, and not everyone who went looking for him came back unharmed. If he appears to be in poor health, it's probably just gonorrhea of the ass.
I have a good buddy who was in his Company. He gave a similar assessment.
Old 15 January 2014, 23:07
Russian Tycoon

I would hate anyone to get hurt or killed while saving this guy (given his particular circumstances).
Old 16 January 2014, 00:36
Been *****, Sat Alert

He may be a schmuck, but he's our schmuck. We should get him back just to prove we can, even if only to prosecute him if appropriate. We don't leave our people behind, period.
Old 16 January 2014, 01:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
He may be a schmuck, but he's our schmuck. We should get him back just to prove we can, even if only to prosecute him if appropriate. We don't leave our people behind, period.

X2

"This is something American prisoners have a right to expect from their fellow soldiers." -Col. Arthur "Bull" Simons
Old 16 January 2014, 01:27
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Schmuck gets injured, a Line Of Duty investigation is done. If injury is determine to be in line of duty, there are no adverse consequences and Schmuck is GTG on VA comp down the road.

If it's determined not to be in LOD, there are adverse consequences, and he is left behind on VA benefits, etc.

I wonder where this PFC would fall if a formal LODI were to be completed on the actions leading up to his present circumstances.

If LOD, I would say let's do whatever we must to get him back.

But if NLOD, he deserves diplomatic efforts to get him returned, as he is a US citizen. But i would rule out any military assets/action.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 16 January 2014, 07:35
Swimming Upstream

Quote:

Exactly.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 16 January 2014, 07:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
My thinking is that if we get him back he'll be a schmuck but he'll be turned into a hero as a result of pressure from his parents and the press. Even if proven that he walked off his post, they'll claim that he was driven by his conscience which the anti-war Left will eat up like a fat kid with cake. He'll get awards, book deals, face time with oprah, etc.

If he says his actions were a result of him not being sure if he is gay and the pain he felt after watching a few episodes of Duck Dynasty on AFN or seeing some playboy magazines up on the magazine rack in the shopette, he's absolutely golden.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 16 January 2014, 09:27
BTDT

Way to go XXA (Insert first two letters of choice), failing when it counts...as usual. I think we should mobilize all the Multi-Cam wearing SWAT guys and send them over to search. I mean, they always want some "action", right? Florida Wildlife can be on the first bird.

I'll accept xThread points in the form of Bitcoin.
Old 16 January 2014, 09:57
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
He's not just a "schmuck", he's a deserter. "We" didn't leave him behind; he deserted willingly.

He planned his desertion for weeks in advance. He even went so far as to mail home most of his personal items and uniforms. Three days before walked off the FOB, he wrote an e-mail to his parents that said he was “ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting.”, and "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.”

Everybody up the CoC knows he deserted. Everybody. And yet for some reason we're compelled to let stand some Jessica Lynchesque fairytale (no fault of her's) that he got "left behind" on some imaginary patrol to obfuscate the fact that he knowingly and willfully left his post. I'm surprised that we haven't fabricated some shit about him single-handedly repelling an enemy company up until he ran out of ammo, and his entrenching tool broke.

We're so unwilling to call a spade a spade that since he deserted, the U.S. Army has promoted him twice. Since he hasn't been declared a deserter, and is still in a missing/captured status, he's still getting paid. What's more, NOBODY wants to address the fact that a fucking PFC was allowed to walk through an ECP without his weapon or PPE and head off into the sunset without one person asking him what the fuck he was doing, AFTER he asked his CoC what would happen if he took sensitive items off the base. Fuck, we even called the Taliban liars when they said they captured him off base drunk, knowing full well by that point what the facts were.
Old 16 January 2014, 10:58
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

^^^^+Pi.

We have no ownership of an assclown, and no moral or other responsibilities to recover him.

But hey -- let's place people in harm's way (again) to show the world we care about all Americans. 'Cause, we're all created and exist equally. Right?

Fucking insanity....
Old 16 January 2014, 11:23
Calix Meus Inebrians

I have two bucks that says they promote him to Staff Sergeant in absentee. They already promoted him from PFC to Sergeant a few years ago. Helps keep the big green PR machine humming.

I agree with everybody who believes we shouldn't go out of our way to risk lives in an effort to retrieve him.
Old 16 January 2014, 11:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
^^^^+Pi.

We have no ownership of an assclown, and no moral or other responsibilities to recover him.

But hey -- let's place people in harm's way (again) to show the world we care about all Americans. 'Cause, we're all created and exist equally. Right?

Fucking insanity....
Unfortunately, I think we do still have 'ownership' of this person. I think he deserves his day in court, even if he isn't in attendance.

The Army is screwing this up, for what reasons?
Old 16 January 2014, 12:20
On the Extract Bird

Rolling Stone Magazine has as accurate an article as can be found that details this subject, entitled "America's Last Prisoner of War" .

CAUTION: May contain information derived from Wikileaks.

The comments are priceless.

Our new posting rules