Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 October 2017, 11:06
Confirmed User

Fox is reporting he is going to plead guilty.
Old 6 October 2017, 12:09
Authorized Personnel

I hope he does and spends the rest of his shitty ass life being a cock holster for his fellow inmates. From Hero of the left to the fucking zero he truly is.

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 6 October 2017, 12:11
Authorized Personnel

We will see how serious his charges are taken once we see his sentences. Until then, it really doesn't matter.
Old 6 October 2017, 12:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Fox is reporting he is going to plead guilty.
Top of the front page on Fox, not worthy on mention on CNN.
Old 6 October 2017, 15:25
Did...did I do that?

From Business Insider:
Quote:
The decision by the 31-year-old Idaho native leaves open whether he will return to captivity for years — this time in a US prison — or receive a lesser sentence that reflects the time the Taliban held him under brutal conditions.
Not only NO! but Hell to the F*** NO! That's your OWN damn fault! Deal with it!
Old 6 October 2017, 15:37
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
We will see how serious his charges are taken once we see his sentences. Until then, it really doesn't matter.
Yep, I rather see him dumped in Astan to fend for himself.
Old 6 October 2017, 20:40
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
I hope he does and spends the rest of his shitty ass life being a cock holster for his fellow inmates. From Hero of the left to the fucking zero he truly is.
This!

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 6 October 2017, 20:53
Shakeyville NZ

He won't get sentenced to shit and we're just going to have to wear it, My God. Aldous Huxley was wrong, it's not The Brave New World, it's the Pathetic excuse of a new world, forget about 1984, his protagonist, this is 2017, the pigs squeal and we obey, I for one am contemplating opting out.
Old 13 October 2017, 19:04
Been There Done That

Taliban Charge Bergdahl with Desertion

Duffelblogs take

https://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/t...ahl-desertion/
Old 13 October 2017, 23:36
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
That’s an old article. Like from 2014.
Old 14 October 2017, 05:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
receive a lesser sentence that reflects the time the Taliban held him under brutal conditions
There will be a time when POWs tweet from captivity that it sucks and their captors are brutal and a fundraiser campaign will be made for them because, you know, a POW should be given a red carpet treatment with flowers, women and lots of food. The captors then would tweet their own story saying "no no he lies we gave him 2 sodas and a Big Mac, check out our Facebook page for details". Then they quickly backtrack and treat all POWs right because Youtube threatened them to remove their ability to monetize their videos of POWs and the subscribers are leaving in droves because the soundtrack has been removed due to copyright infringement and.....sigh.

For me Bowe Bergdahl should be given a parachute (so noone complains about inhumane treatment) and kicked out of a plane flying over Afghanistan.
Old 16 October 2017, 13:05
A/1/75

He plead guilty to desertion and behavior toward the enemy.
Faces life but who knows

Charlie
Old 16 October 2017, 14:55
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
He plead guilty to desertion and behavior toward the enemy.
Faces life but who knows
I thought former POTUS said he served with distinction and honor...
Hmmm.

I wonder what sort of deal he/she/it made to plead guilty.
Old 16 October 2017, 15:48
Confirmed User

No deal whatsoever, just straight up plead guilty to all charges.
Old 16 October 2017, 16:06
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by usacivpol View Post
No deal whatsoever, just straight up plead guilty to all charges.
Well... perhaps his guilt of losing men searching for him drove him to do the right thing.

I hope he sits in a small isolated cell for a long time.
Old 16 October 2017, 16:30
BT,WBTWC

My view, perhaps a contrary view.

As the famous jurist Felix Frankfurter once said:

"Wisdom too often never comes,
and so one ought not to reject it
merely because it comes late."

Whatever was going on in the mind of young "SGT" Bergdahl so many years ago, he has done the right and honorable thing now.

Military Judge: "How does the accused plead?"

Bergdahl: "Guilty, your Honor."

Military Judge: "Is there a pretrial agreement in this case?"

Bergdahl: "There is not, your Honor."

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I'm sure he was under pressure from his father and his family, the liberal left, the X, Y, Z against the war, et al. to put up a fight, to make a spectacle of trial by court-martial, to seek every twist and turn, to delay and appeal.

But inside, he knew the truth.

For whatever misguided, childish, cowardly, fear, frustration, ignorance, immature anger, reason, curiosity ... whatever ... he knew he had done exactly what they said he did:

Desertion - He left his unit without permission and with the intent never to return.

Misbehavior Before the Enemy - He departed without weapon and equipment, leaving his unit short a soldier, and under circumstances where many would risk much to rescue him.

And so when wisdom finally came, when he understood better than some of those who were prepared to testify against him that the Army was right all along, he did the right thing.

I'll bet a month's pay that his defense counsel made him sign an acknowledgement that he was entering an "open" or "bare" plea contrary to their legal advice. Every defense attorney in Trial Defense Service would have advised him to seek a safety net, negotiate a plea agreement, minimize his losses. And perhaps the convening authority would have gone along with a cap on his maximum sentence, in exchange for saving the government the time, effort and expense of what could have been a protracted trial and a media circus.

But Bergdahl did the last honorable thing he could do in an effort to atone for actions he can never undo:

He manned up, he waived trial on the merits, and he entered unqualified pleas of guilty. In every real sense, Bergdahl fully agreed with everything that his accusers charged him with doing, line by line, element of the offense by element of the offense.

Whatever was in his mind and heart when he walked away from his unit, I believe that his mind and heart were in the right place when as an older and wiser man he walked into that court-martial and submitted his pleas.
Old 16 October 2017, 16:50
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Duffelblog is great, like The Onion for the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
As the famous jurist Felix Frankfurter once said:

"Wisdom too often never comes,
and so one ought not to reject it
merely because it comes late."

Whatever was going on in the mind of young "SGT" Bergdahl so many years ago, he has done the right and honorable thing now.

Military Judge: "How does the accused plead?"

Bergdahl: "Guilty, your Honor."

Military Judge: "Is there a pretrial agreement in this case?"

Bergdahl: "There is not, your Honor."

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I'm sure he was under pressure from his father and his family, the liberal left, the X, Y, Z against the war, et al. to put up a fight, to make a spectacle of trial by court-martial, to seek every twist and turn, to delay and appeal.

But inside, he knew the truth.

For whatever misguided, childish, cowardly, fear, frustration, ignorance, immature anger, reason, curiosity ... whatever ... he knew he had done exactly what they said he did:

Desertion - He left his unit without permission and with the intent never to return.

Misbehavior Before the Enemy - He departed without weapon and equipment, leaving his unit short a soldier, and under circumstances where many would risk much to rescue him.

And so when wisdom finally came, when he understood better than some of those who were prepared to testify against him that the Army was right all along, he did the right thing.

I'll bet a month's pay that his defense counsel made him sign an acknowledgement that he was entering an "open" or "bare" plea contrary to their legal advice. Every defense attorney in Trial Defense Service would have advised him to seek a safety net, negotiate a plea agreement, minimize his losses. And perhaps the convening authority would have gone along with a cap on his maximum sentence, in exchange for saving the government the time, effort and expense of what could have been a protracted trial and a media circus.

But Bergdahl did the last honorable thing he could do in an effort to atone for actions he can never undo:

He manned up, he waived trial on the merits, and he entered unqualified pleas of guilty. In every real sense, Bergdahl fully agreed with everything that his accusers charged him with doing, line by line, element of the offense by element of the offense.

Whatever was in his mind and heart when he walked away from his unit, I believe that his mind and heart were in the right place when as an older and wiser man he walked into that court-martial and submitted his pleas.
That pretty much sums it up, he finally looked in the mirror and concluded that everything he has been charged with is true and that he and he alone is the cause of his predicament, not to mention the deaths of at least a couple of soldiers (even more perhaps) who went out looking for him.

He gave an interview last year in which he stated that he was insulted to be called a traitor, but it's hard to escape the fact that his actions weren't those of somebody simply wanting to get away from the military. There was something else going on there, whether that can be called treason or not is for others to judge.

So, the trial judge will pass sentence, Bergdahl will serve it, whether it be in a prison cell or on house arrest of some sort, and hopefully he will fade into oblivion. I think as part of any plea he makes, if he writes a book or otherwise tries to profit from his story, the proceeds of any of it should go toward those who were injured looking for him, and the families of those who lost their lives.

Just out of curiosity, as I am unfamiliar with court martial proceedings at this level and for these types of charges, will sentence be passed today after he enters his plea, or will the judge take some time to consider an appropriate sentence?
Old 16 October 2017, 17:00
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
Well said. Perhaps he has his own version of survivor's guilt.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 October 2017, 17:02
Confirmed User

I remember my grandfather's friend discussing a fate of a certain wartime traitor who deserted and was captured by the Germans. When he fell back into the hands of Polish soldiers he was pleading for his life, professing guilt and asking for a trial. Since no one had time nor stomach to listen to his babbling he was swiftly taken aside, shot in the head and that was it. They would've hung him if they had the time. So he would decompose there for everyone to see.
Some things cannot be undone IMO no matter how hard you try. And the offending person's acknowledgement of guilt is not relevant anymore. If Bergdahl acknowledges his guilt it still does not change a fact that he did what he did. Its nice to see his step towards redemption and maybe this will make his followers and supporters rethink what he's done so there might be a merit to that, that's what I think.
Old 16 October 2017, 17:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
From Business Insider:

Not only NO! but Hell to the F*** NO! That's your OWN damn fault! Deal with it!
He should get an additional sentence, because of what we, as a country gave up to get his stupid ass out of that mess.

Our new posting rules