SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 November 2019, 12:50
Been There Done That

Security Guard charged...

For rough handling an 11 year old shoplifter.

Yes, a little excessive, no need to punch or severely injure the girl but I am tired of people shoplifting/stealing from stores and walking out with no consequences. Maybe better to physically forcibly restrain and if resistance, use what force needed to subdue. But not let just walk away a s use no force at all. Violence or the threat of violence are the only two things that ultimately protect property rights.

Notice in the article, once again, no mention of a father

If I had gotten slapped around by a security guard for shoplifting when I was 11 years old - when I got home I would have also gotten the belt from my father! And would have been told that if I did not want a security guard to beat my ass, then don’t do some stupid shit like shoplift.

https://www.wlfi.com/content/news/565326402.html

Last edited by leopardprey; 23 November 2019 at 13:19.
Old 23 November 2019, 12:57
Been There Done That

I'm going to agree that it was absolutely the right decision to charge him. If you do a little bit of digging you'll quickly realize that this isn't the first time that individual took it too far. And he's been reprimanded multiple times in writing but not terminated.

Further, I am fairly certain that the company whose goods he was guarding would have been fine seeing the 11 year old walk out with their goods vs seeing any kind of major physical intervention.

Seeing a 225 pound uniformed idiot punching a child...not so much.

There's going to be a pretty significant payout when the kid's relatives sue both the business and Securitas.
Old 23 November 2019, 13:30
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
A police report of the altercation noted how the girl was "extremely combative and violently resisted" -- including kicking and biting -- when officers attempted to detain her.
Sympathy level for both of them= 0

This is what happens when you raise an animal instead of a child.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 23 November 2019, 13:40
Been There Done That

Shoplifting has all but turned our local Wally World into the fucking TSA.
Old 23 November 2019, 13:57
Been There Done That

That's going to be an expensive mistake.
Old 23 November 2019, 17:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
Sympathy level for both of them= 0

This is what happens when you raise an animal instead of a child.
We’ve legislated the animals into power in this situation. The security company can only hire minimally trained personnel who, it cannot lawfully detain someone, have no real ability in that role. The business is forced to accept the theft losses and cannot hire the correct people who can prevent the theft.
Old 23 November 2019, 18:07
Legal Immigrant

Security guards are not there to prevent theft. They are there to lower insurance premiums. Sad, but true.

As for "rough handling" an 11 yr old....there are some damn violent pre-teens out there, and sometimes they need more than a hug. But still...when you hire clowns, you're going to get a clown show.
Old 23 November 2019, 18:14
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Security guards are not there to prevent theft. They are there to lower insurance premiums. Sad, but true.

As for "rough handling" an 11 yr old....there are some damn violent pre-teens out there, and sometimes they need more than a hug. But still...when you hire clowns, you're going to get a clown show.

"when you hire clowns"

And when you raise little hoodlums...
Old 23 November 2019, 20:15
Confirmed User

There are multiple fails in that whole situation. Some of the absolute worst beatdowns that I have witnessed were security officers beaten by shoplifters. They took bad beatdowns for less that $10 worth of items to which the stores generally don't even press or follow-through with charges anymore.

It truly is an insurance issue and one that isn't worth it to either the store or the under qualified non-hacking poor miserable soul that is working the detail -- or in this case -- the clown that probably should never have been hired in the first place
Old 23 November 2019, 20:35
I reckon so. . .

Follow-up Articles, "Khan was under “explicit orders" not to touch customers, including suspected shoplifters, the district attorney’s office states.

Pretty clear who's at fault here, shitbird kid or no. Besides, "The girl was not charged with shoplifting because of her age, prosecutors said, citing state law."

Awesome. haha fuck.

Sounds like if you need some new shoes and the like, the trick is to get a 11 y/o to go steal that shit for you.

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 23 November 2019, 20:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
...Sounds like if you need some new shoes and the like, the trick is to get a 11 y/o to go steal that shit for you.
Street-corner crackheads have been doing it for years. Get the eight and nine-year-olds to hold their crack so they can't go to jail. Same with the thieving thugs. They stay one step ahead of the law all the time.
Old 23 November 2019, 20:59
Been There Done That

Several businesses here - people just walk in and steal stuff and walk out and no one does anything. Happens at my local big box stores and grocery store. Security just verbally tells them to stop, which they don’t, then they just watch them walk out the store

Violence or the threat of violence.
Old 23 November 2019, 21:01
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Street-corner crackheads have been doing it for years. Get the eight and nine-year-olds to hold their crack so they can't go to jail. Same with the thieving thugs. They stay one step ahead of the law all the time.
So I've read/heard. Just shocks the shit outta me that this kid/shoplifter cannot be prosecuted. Back in the day and all aside . . . gees.

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 23 November 2019, 21:43
Been There Done That

And as Mixedload stated, due to the security guard over reacting, not only will the shop lifter not be punished but will be greatly rewarded. Sigh...
Old 23 November 2019, 21:50
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
And as Mixedload stated, due to the security guard over reacting, not only will the shop lifter not be punished but will be greatly rewarded. Sigh...
I understand the rankling over the shoplifter. But if your job is NOT TO touch the offenders and you break that protocol. Who should back you up for your stupidity?

Further, if the law says that aged person cannot be prosecuted for this offense, then, who but the legislators and people who vote for them are to blame?

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 23 November 2019, 21:55
Make a desert and call it peace.

No humans involved. Get the taxpayer out of the situation, businesses handle your own shit. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 24 November 2019, 11:31
BTDT

What a dumbass. They don't even lose the retail cost, they lose wholesale - which could me marked up 100's of percent. "I stopped the theft of a Lipstick! WooooHoooo!!!!" This will be the most expensive product the store ever carried.

The Karen Proclamation: “I fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.”
Old 24 November 2019, 17:30
Confirmed User

I dont agree with what happened to the girl.
But, if we raised kids better, crap like this wouldnt end up happening.
And this whole thing where you know you wont be busted for stealing, just goes to show Lawyers will make the criminal into a victim in court.

Our new posting rules