SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 4 May 2019, 16:12
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I'm wondering how many more people are going to have to die before the "no knock" raid is seen for what it is, a home invasion. Dynamic Entry is for hostage rescue, not warrant service. Pick up the phone, grab the guy at the 7-11, whatever. Maybe if the casualty stats weren't so lopsided we'd reach that point sooner rather than later. This stuff is not worth anyone's life, on either side.

These officers are lucky the dead guy wasn't a Vet with some training and an decent long gun.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 6 May 2019, 19:45
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
I'm wondering how many more people are going to have to die before the "no knock" raid is seen for what it is, a home invasion.
There is no legal provision for no-knock warrant service in my state.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 14 May 2019, 09:46
Confirmed User

More information regarding botched raid.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...k-13842488.php
Old 14 May 2019, 13:04
BTDT

I hear Houston is considering a name change - to Ass Clown City.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 15 May 2019, 08:23
Confirmed User

Systemic Infection.
Old 15 May 2019, 15:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I hear Houston is considering a name change - to Ass Clown City.
We definitely need a change in city management.
Old 23 August 2019, 15:15
Confirmed User

HPD officer charged with murder in botched raid.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...edium=referral
Old 24 August 2019, 12:37
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTex View Post
HPD officer charged with murder in botched raid.
Quote:
A defiant Chief Art Acevedo...
These are the assholes that give all good cops a bad name - thin blue line BS. If it was up to this "chief" - these dudes would still be committing crimes. I don't know what the agenda was for digging this deep, but DA Ogg did a good job so far. Hopefully she won't pull one of those "cops can do no wrong" jury's.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 24 August 2019, 13:03
Adding Chlorine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Hopefully she won't pull one of those "cops can do no wrong" jury's.
Depends on if it’s a Grand Jury (hidden and secret membership) or panel of locals. If it’s a panel of locals the PD is not going to like the experience. The downside for HPD to Houston the city having been “living blue in a red state” is that the citizenship is far more likely to distrust if not hate the PD.

However the DA is still one of those Blue ones as well, and has a record of not prosecuting when the law clearly states to prosecute.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 25 August 2019, 14:55
Custom User Title

This case is terrible and it looks like they pulled some shit straight out of a bad movie. I can't even imagine how this is possible. I can't believe a large department like that doesn't have
normal checks and balances. Felony murder seems like a very appropriate charge. Thanks assholes, mouth breathing cop haters will be citing this one for a generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawg View Post
Depends on if it’s a Grand Jury (hidden and secret membership) or panel of locals. If it’s a panel of locals the PD is not going to like the experience. The downside for HPD to Houston the city having been “living blue in a red state” is that the citizenship is far more likely to distrust if not hate the PD.

However the DA is still one of those Blue ones as well, and has a record of not prosecuting when the law clearly states to prosecute.
You seem to be confused about what a grand jury is. They don't do trials, they evaluate whether a case has enough probable cause for an indictment.
Old 27 August 2019, 13:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thanks assholes, mouth breathing cop haters will be citing this one for a generation.
There's also corrupt cops that plant drugs for possession arrests like Zach Wester and Richard Pinheiro... or Philip Brailsford being allowed to retire due the PTSD resulting from him murdering a man.

Departments and Unions will make sure that by protecting the bad apples, there will be plenty of ammunition for the critics.
Old 27 August 2019, 15:17
Confirmed User

Will Nathan Sodek be lumped in with the tragic suicides of police officers suffering from the stress of the job?
Old 27 August 2019, 16:10
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Will Nathan Sodek be lumped in with the tragic suicides of police officers suffering from the stress of the job?
Are these posts directed at me? What kind of stupid question is that?
Old 27 August 2019, 20:11

Quote:
Oh boy, here we go. SMDH.
Old 28 August 2019, 11:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I can't even imagine how this is possible. I can't believe a large department like that doesn't have normal checks and balances.
There was a story on the news this morning about HPD raiding the wrong house and threatening to kill the homeowners dog. There are some major issues with this department.
Old 28 August 2019, 15:12
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
There was a story on the news this morning about HPD raiding the wrong house and threatening to kill the homeowners dog. There are some major issues with this department.
Mistakes are always possible given a big enough sample size. I don't think you can ever totally eliminate that. But the criminal behavior involved in this warrant should never really be possible.
Old 29 August 2019, 11:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Mistakes are always possible given a big enough sample size. I don't think you can ever totally eliminate that. But the criminal behavior involved in this warrant should never really be possible.
Mistakes happen, yes, but this was not a victimless mistake.
Old 29 August 2019, 13:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Not Houston .... but....cops chase suspect who runs into/through a family's yard. Police put several children on the ground at gunpoint. Family dog is in the yard but not barking or approaching police. One officer tries to shoot dog and misses so he shoots again and misses while striking a child a couple feet away from the dog.

Family sues. Federal court says "denied". Qualified immunity. Sucks to be you.

LINK

Quote:
A federal appeals court dismissed a civil-rights lawsuit filed against a Georgia deputy who tried to shoot a family’s dog, but instead hit a 10-year-old boy lying down on the ground. Instead of having to face a $2 million lawsuit for excessive force, Coffee County Deputy Sheriff Michael Vickers was entitled to “qualified immunity” for his actions and cannot be sued in federal court, the Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last week.
Old 29 August 2019, 13:48

Quote:
Not Houston .... but....cops chase suspect who runs into/through a family's yard. Police put several children on the ground at gunpoint. Family dog is in the yard but not barking or approaching police. One officer tries to shoot dog and misses so he shoots again and misses while striking a child a couple feet away from the dog.

Family sues. Federal court says "denied". Qualified immunity. Sucks to be you.

LINK
Shitty situation, but what's your point? This case has nothing to do with the Houston raid. What happens in TX doesn't equal whats happening in Georgia. Do you have some kind of axe to grind?
Old 29 August 2019, 16:08
Custom User Title

I continually forget that eventually all threads of this nature devolve from intelligent discussion to "cops did something bad somewhere" in a more or less linear way. The ratio of intelligent commentary and discussion to axe grinding is lopsided.

Our new posting rules