SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 2 June 2019, 18:39
0311/8651

Neives v Bartlett

Very important case involving Section 1983, Federal statutes, suing the police for violations of a person’s civil rights. It will now be much harder to sue, tying up officers for years in civil court?
Old 2 June 2019, 18:48
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Very important case involving Section 1983, Federal statutes, suing the police for violations of a person’s civil rights. It will now be much harder to sue, tying up officers for years in civil court?
The USSC's ruling on this is somewhat muddled (due to the partial assents, etc).

Bottom line, IMHO, had the 9th Circuit's ruling been allowed to stand, this would have had some effect on future actions. The USSC reversed and remanded the 9th Circuit's ruling, so the future effect will be minimal. From the USSC majority ruling: "there was probable cause to arrest Bartlett, his retaliatory arrest claim fails as a matter of law."
Old 2 June 2019, 21:47
0311/8651

Once again the 9th gets spanked.the justices hopefully gave some relief to the street cop. If one lawyer backs off from trying to take an officers job and livelihood it will be worth it
Old 2 June 2019, 21:58
Unemployed Stunt Double

In this particular case, the DA is the true problem. I used to be a cop in Alaska, and we had this sort of horse shit from DAs quite regularly. Goes like this: Cop arrests suspect. DA decides to drop charges "for budgetary" reasons. Suspect gets lawyer and sues cop, using the DA's failure to charge as evidence that the suspect did nothing wrong. I was sued a couple of times under those circs.
Old 2 June 2019, 22:02
Doing What Grunts Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
...the DA is the true problem...
Yep...they have way too much unchecked authority and ability to act with impunity.
Old 2 June 2019, 23:44
Policeman Officer

I'm getting sued federally right now, it has no bearing on my job whatsoever. At some point years from now I will probably spend a few days in court. Since I'm 100% "good" as far as my employer is concerned even if I lose I won't be out a penny.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 3 June 2019, 00:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
In this particular case, the DA is the true problem. I used to be a cop in Alaska, and we had this sort of horse shit from DAs quite regularly. Goes like this: Cop arrests suspect. DA decides to drop charges "for budgetary" reasons. Suspect gets lawyer and sues cop, using the DA's failure to charge as evidence that the suspect did nothing wrong. I was sued a couple of times under those circs.
"contact with law enforcement sufficient sanction"
Old 3 June 2019, 08:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm getting sued federally right now, it has no bearing on my job whatsoever. At some point years from now I will probably spend a few days in court. Since I'm 100% "good" as far as my employer is concerned even if I lose I won't be out a penny.

1983 Suit? If so, welcome to the club.....LOL I think I racked up 4 in less than two years at one point. All were dismissed by a Federal Judge.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 3 June 2019, 13:25
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
1983 Suit? If so, welcome to the club.....LOL I think I racked up 4 in less than two years at one point. All were dismissed by a Federal Judge.
I’ve been sued at least 3 times that I know of in the last 2 years. All dismissed. One incident, I wasn’t even working, let alone on scene.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 3 June 2019, 13:48
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I assume that's what it's called although I don't really know.

Whitebean, the lawsuit is riddled with bold faced lies and can't even keep the various officers straight.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 3 June 2019, 14:26
Administrator

A 1983 suit is basically a Civil Rights violation lawsuit.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 3 June 2019, 15:35
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post

Whitebean, the lawsuit is riddled with bold faced lies and can't even keep the various officers straight.
I don’t doubt it. Best part is nothing will ever be done about it.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO

Our new posting rules