SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 2 December 2011, 16:36
Nonrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Chaser View Post
And yes, this appears in direct contradiction from the VA website information on Post-9/11 GI Bill BAH.
Keep in mind that some of these changes came into afftect on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1, 2011. Some stuff has yet to reflect changes for example, the Post 9/11 pamphlet hasn't been updated since it first came out. Also, claims examiners are still trying to figure out how to process these changes.

Know that many different things may affect changes to your payments. Things like how many hours you are taking and are the online, traditional, or OJT? What type of school you are going to; public, for profit, or non profit? What your school determines its credit hours as; are they semester hours, quarter hours, clock hours? What is your goal; certificate, diploma? how long does your school consider a semester?

Sadly, many things that only a VCE can figure out by using the research tools afforded to them while adjudicating your file. However, you should be able to guess somewhere in the ballpark of what you'll get.

But hey, you're a Marine. Bang all the fat ugly broads you want. - BigNickT
Old 5 December 2011, 20:33
???

update on benefits

All,

Received my *approved* letter from VA today. Submitted it online on the 26th of September so the wait was longer than the advised 26 days (per the VA staff) to process the claim. As per the instruction I have to send a copy of the letter to the VA dept at school and go from there. From what was posted in this thread earlier it looks like I can expect another month before payment is started. Is this in line with everyones experience?

CC
Old 5 December 2011, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Cookie View Post
All,

Received my *approved* letter from VA today. Submitted it online on the 26th of September so the wait was longer than the advised 26 days (per the VA staff) to process the claim. As per the instruction I have to send a copy of the letter to the VA dept at school and go from there. From what was posted in this thread earlier it looks like I can expect another month before payment is started. Is this in line with everyones experience?

CC
Sounds about right.
So has your school verified your attendance with the VA yet?
or have you started classes?
Old 5 December 2011, 22:47
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxTrooth View Post
Sounds about right.
So has your school verified your attendance with the VA yet?
or have you started classes?
Im in the Guard and started taking classes using TA to pay for classes. Switched over to post 9/11 after my orders ended and here we are. As far as I know my school has not verified my status. Ill call tomorrow to find out for sure.
Old 5 December 2011, 23:01

Quote:
Im in the Guard and started taking classes using TA to pay for classes. Switched over to post 9/11 after my orders ended and here we are. As far as I know my school has not verified my status. Ill call tomorrow to find out for sure.
Ah okay that makes sense,
For those of us who are discharged can usually submit their DD-214 prior to recieving the certificate of eligibility to get the ball rolling.

In your case it sounds like everything is going how it should. You'll submit your CoE to the school and make sure you request for them to submit your registration to the VA immediately.

I know AMU's VA dept will wait to send your registration info to the VA until after the end of the first week of class BUT you can request for them to go ahead and send the info up to 30 days early each seperate time you register for classes. The earlier the better.
Old 12 December 2011, 22:22

Quote:
Don't have a scanner available but here is the exact quote form my VA letter.

"Monthly Housing Allowance

The maximum monthly housing allowance payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill for your school's zip code and rate of pursuit is $1,563.00

Since you are eligible at the 100% rate you will receive -

$404.06 a month for each full month of training during the certified period begining November 7, 2011 and ending January 1, 2012.

You will receive a prorated amount for any partial months of training."

I read this as the max amount is $1563 but I'll be getting $404 as a lessor amount due to not taking a full course of study. The first page of my letter shows distance learning of 3 credit hours and the tuition they paid. And yes, this appears in direct contradiction from the VA website information on Post-9/11 GI Bill BAH.
I had a school VA rep tell me VA considers an enrollment of 6 college hours at once as full time. Any less and you will recieve a prorated amount. example: In my case I started an 8 week class of 3 hours in Nov-Dec and received a pro-rated online only BAH of $404 for Nov. I started a second 3 hour/8 week class starting in Dec-Jan putting my enrollment at 6 hours. I recieved the full online BAH $673 for the month of December.
Old 13 December 2011, 18:36
Cat Lover Extraordinaire.....

In order to receive the $673.00 stipend, would I have to had to apply using other types of paperwork?

I'm going to full time online with AMU using Chapter 33 and getting the 100% tuition assistance, my registration is already done, I receive notice that the classes were paid for. My question is do I have to apply elsewhere for my stipend? or do I have to contact the VA for the forms to apply for...?

New at this....hope I can get some help over it. Thanks brothers!
Old 13 December 2011, 18:43
Nonrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrlSgt View Post
In order to receive the $673.00 stipend, would I have to had to apply using other types of paperwork?

I'm going to full time online with AMU using Chapter 33 and getting the 100% tuition assistance, my registration is already done, I receive notice that the classes were paid for. My question is do I have to apply elsewhere for my stipend? or do I have to contact the VA for the forms to apply for...?

New at this....hope I can get some help over it. Thanks brothers!

No. It should start automatically.

BUT, we all know how the VA is, so it would not hurt a single thing to call and ask.

GIBill hotline:
1-888-442-4551

Old 13 December 2011, 23:43

Make sure you request AMU VA dept submit your class registration to the Va early if you havent already done so. Vaquestions@apus.edu is their email address.

To give you an idea of a timeline.
AMU submitted my class schedule to the VA regional office on 11/24. I received the award letter 12/12 and called VA dept today and they said I have BAH deposits pending for 12/14.

The first book stipend will issue with your first BAH payment automatically.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:06
???

Quote:
I had a school VA rep tell me VA considers an enrollment of 6 college hours at once as full time. Any less and you will recieve a prorated amount. example: In my case I started an 8 week class of 3 hours in Nov-Dec and received a pro-rated online only BAH of $404 for Nov. I started a second 3 hour/8 week class starting in Dec-Jan putting my enrollment at 6 hours. I recieved the full online BAH $673 for the month of December.
I hope this isn't the case as I have found nothing on VA's site saying such.

Wait: this has already happened in your case?

Confused...
Old 14 December 2011, 09:22
Nonrate

Quote:

As of 1 Aug 2011, the housing allowance is on a tiered system which correlates to the hours in which you are training at. Which means whatever happened to you in the past no longer is the standard for the future.

Effective August 1, 2011
· Prorates housing allowance by the student’s rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth)
o A student training at a rate of pursuit of 75% would receive 80% of the BAH rate

Full time = 100%
¾ = 75%
½ = 50%
Less than ½ time = No housing allowance

Sources in case you were wondering:

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1417/kw/BAH

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1438/kw/BAH

Additionally, 6 hours is considered full time for your situation. If I read your example correctly it looks as is you were enrolled two separate 8 week courses. Short semesters like this are added up differently to come to the conclusion that it was a full load based on the time frame. Saying things like "VA considers 6 hours full time" spreads misinformation. The VA already has a monopoly on that.

Old 14 December 2011, 10:42
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markslams View Post

As of 1 Aug 2011, the housing allowance is on a tiered system which correlates to the hours in which you are training at. Which means whatever happened to you in the past no longer is the standard for the future.

Effective August 1, 2011
· Prorates housing allowance by the student’s rate of pursuit (rounded to the nearest tenth)
o A student training at a rate of pursuit of 75% would receive 80% of the BAH rate

Full time = 100%
¾ = 75%
½ = 50%
Less than ½ time = No housing allowance

Sources in case you were wondering:

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1417/kw/BAH

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1438/kw/BAH

Additionally, 6 hours is considered full time for your situation. If I read your example correctly it looks as is you were enrolled two separate 8 week courses. Short semesters like this are added up differently to come to the conclusion that it was a full load based on the time frame. Saying things like "VA considers 6 hours full time" spreads misinformation. The VA already has a monopoly on that.
So is it left to the school to determine what is full time? I may have missed it but it looks like as long as you are taking class online (distance learning only) that you qualify for the whole $673.xx.

Last edited by Chemical Cookie; 14 December 2011 at 10:46. Reason: ETA
Old 14 December 2011, 13:27

Quote:
I didnt mean to generalize the VA as a whole I am just trying to give example to the others that take online courses that may be in the same boat with me. But yes, it makes sense. 6 hours in 8 weeks x 2 = 12 hours x regular 16 week semester which is considered full time. In my case. Note: I attend AMU other schools will have different standards.

Thanks for that info on the BAH. I was looking for that.

As for full time status I think its all dependent on your school like mark said above. Just call the VA rep and ask.
Old 14 December 2011, 15:09
Nonrate

Quote:
So is it left to the school to determine what is full time? I may have missed it but it looks like as long as you are taking class online (distance learning only) that you qualify for the whole $673.xx.

The school doesn’t decide what full time is VA does, based on how your school operates. Meaning, does your school operate on semester hours, quarter hours, or clock hours? This plays tremendously into how much your payment will be as this will determine whether you are taking an accelerated semester or not. That information is accessed by claims examiners and plugged into a formula. This is why a veteran taking 3 hours on a short semester can get a full time rate payment—short semester meaning shorter than your typical semester that starts in mid August and ends mid December. Note that a lot of online colleges do the shorter accelerated semesters.

Here is the measurement of training time the VA uses:

If the student is enrolled in:

The Training Time is:

12 or more credit hours
Full time
9 through 11 credit hours
3/4 time
6 through 8 credit hours
1/2 time
4 through 5 credit hours
*Less than 1/2 time; more than 1/4 time
1 through 3 credit hours
*1/4 time or less

Foxtrot,

Sort of. I think what is playing a big role in yours is that it looks like you had overlapping semesters.

Another thing to take into consideration is that most of the info out there looks more or less geared toward a specific set of veterans. Someone who has done 4 years honorable active duty service and is an undergrad going to a regular “traditional classroom” university. Veering off that norm is where things get tricky and where it becomes harder, for the veteran him/herself, to determine a their entitlement. Which sucks.

Last edited by Markslams; 14 December 2011 at 15:29.
Old 18 December 2011, 12:00
Confirmed User

All I know is I started class in october and still haven't received any BAH. Maybe the letter I received that said I rate $404 per month was wrong.
Old 30 December 2011, 04:10
Confirmed User

Well I just received my first BAH payment of $404.06 for a 3 credit hour course. Timing leaves something to be desired as my course is over on 1 Jan when I take my final exam. I hope they continue to pay the other 2 payments I have coming. My ammo supply is getting low.

Next class I'm not taking a condensed course but a full 15 week course. BAH over a loger period of time. My current course is an 15 week course condensed to 8 weeks.

Last edited by Tango Chaser; 30 December 2011 at 04:13.
Old 30 December 2011, 08:42
Nonrate

Quote:
Well I just received my first BAH payment of $404.06 for a 3 credit hour course. Timing leaves something to be desired as my course is over on 1 Jan when I take my final exam. I hope they continue to pay the other 2 payments I have coming. My ammo supply is getting low.

Next class I'm not taking a condensed course but a full 15 week course. BAH over a loger period of time. My current course is an 15 week course condensed to 8 weeks.

Call and ask them to look at your file or get on eBenefits to see all your education payments. I don't know if it'll show future payments, mine shows all the past ones.

Old 1 January 2012, 14:03
???

Quote:
Call and ask them to look at your file or get on eBenefits to see all your education payments. I don't know if it'll show future payments, mine shows all the past ones.
Speaking on my situation, I will call on Tuesday to double check my education payments. I enrolled in the VA post 9/11 bill, received my letter, forwarded it to the school and did not receive any payment as of 31st of Dec. Ill update when I find out more.
Old 5 January 2012, 09:41
???

Still waiting to hear back on the status of my payment. Called the VA education dept yesterday and had to schedule a call back as they were too busy to take my call.

Will update when I hear anything good.goods
Old 5 January 2012, 10:13
Nonrate

Quote:
Still waiting to hear back on the status of my payment. Called the VA education dept yesterday and had to schedule a call back as they were too busy to take my call.

Will update when I hear anything good.goods

Sucks. You can always go this route:

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/util...m/redirect/ask

Ask a question through GIBill website. Correspondence will get uploaded right into your file. I don't know how fast it is though.

Our new posting rules