SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 3 February 2019, 13:22
I reckon so. . .

PL-Mini 2 Design Issues, am I right?

Okay, So I bought the new PLMini-2 for resale. And I needed to check them out as well before selling/shipping.
Problem.
1. I noticed the mini sits askew on the weapon when mounted properly.
2. The switch on the RH side, meaning Switch on my right hand side when aiming the weapon rubs on the frame of the trigger guard making it difficult to operate; I had trouble getting enough force from my finger to actuate the switch on that side only.

Observations:
1. I see why this occurs.
2. It is a design issue. Visually apparent on both Mini-2’s I have here (they shorted me my full order), n=2. Also waiting to hear back from local guy that ordered a Mini 2.
3. Photos below show issue.
Questions:
1. Am I right?
2. Do YOU find this acceptable?

Recommendations please.
And discuss.

You tube video (please do not share as of yet) explains more about this issue, where the design is causing this, but not why they chose to do this. 00:53 seconds in you can actually see it offset.
Also covers the color issue on the "Desert Tan". Which is more akin to a very washed out Olive Drab. Looks good, but not the color I was expecting.

Old 3 February 2019, 13:30
Been There Done That

That's a no go in my book.
Old 3 February 2019, 21:42
Confirmed User

One word- Surefire.
Old 3 February 2019, 21:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Okay, So I bought the new PLMini-2 for resale. And I needed to check them out as well before selling/shipping.
Problem.
1. I noticed the mini sits askew on the weapon when mounted properly.
2. The switch on the RH side, meaning Switch on my right hand side when aiming the weapon rubs on the frame of the trigger guard making it difficult to operate; I had trouble getting enough force from my finger to actuate the switch on that side only.

Observations:
1. I see why this occurs.
2. It is a design issue. Visually apparent on both Mini-2’s I have here (they shorted me my full order), n=2. Also waiting to hear back from local guy that ordered a Mini 2.
3. Photos below show issue.
Questions:
1. Am I right?
2. Do YOU find this acceptable?

Recommendations please.
And discuss.

I have a mini2 mounted on a Glock G20; the switches don't rub, but the switch on the left is a bit closer to the trigger guard than the switch on the right.
Old 3 February 2019, 22:33
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
I have a mini2 mounted on a Glock G20; the switches don't rub, but the switch on the left is a bit closer to the trigger guard than the switch on the right.
I noticed the same on my Mini-1 after discovering this issue on the -2 version. The -1 version is closer on the LH side as I Hold/aim the weapon.

So, Confirm New Mini-2 and Not older Mini-1 on yours?

And thanks!
Old 3 February 2019, 22:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
I noticed the same on my Mini-1 after discovering this issue on the -2 version. The -1 version is closer on the LH side as I Hold/aim the weapon.

So, Confirm New Mini-2 and Not older Mini-1 on yours?

And thanks!
It's a mini-2.
Old 4 February 2019, 10:18
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
It's a mini-2.
Roger.

Two more photos.

And the light mounted

My Local Cop reports same with his. He hadn't got them from his mailbox till yesterday, so had no idea what was waiting for him. He said both do the same as mine on his G-19 and G-17.
Old 4 February 2019, 11:59
BTDT

Well I'll be damned. PL-Mini v1 on an FN 509 Tactical - when looking at BOTTOM of light, right hand side has 3 paper sheets clearance (8.5x11 Printer - poor man's feeler gauge), left side has more than 7 (got tired of cutting). Since there *is* complete clearance, operation is 100%, so I never noticed. This is with the 1913 adapter - but I can't see how it would matter.

Yeah, I'd say Unsat for the v2 - should be equidistant when clamped???
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 4 February 2019, 12:38
I reckon so. . .

Equidistant, sure. But not rubbing would be a good first start. a bit off here and there in feeler gauge measurements, no biggie. Rubbing=0

Thinner Trigger guards won't rub. The XD is pretty wide at 0.610/13.

Curious why firstshirts is offset to the other side. That doesn't bode well overall.
Old 4 February 2019, 12:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Equidistant, sure. But not rubbing would be a good first start. a bit off here and there in feeler gauge measurements, no biggie. Rubbing=0

Thinner Trigger guards won't rub. The XD is pretty wide at 0.610/13.

Curious why firstshirts is offset to the other side. That doesn't bode well overall.
I don't know why and, honestly, I'm not curious enough to measure. The light does what I paid for it to do without requiring unusual force or effort so I'm satisfied. That said, I can understand why someone who sells or promotes them (or is considering doing so) would be concerned.
Old 4 February 2019, 13:09
I reckon so. . .

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't know why and, honestly, I'm not curious enough to measure. The light does what I paid for it to do without requiring unusual force or effort so I'm satisfied. That said, I can understand why someone who sells or promotes them (or is considering doing so) would be concerned.
Tracking right along with you.
Old 4 February 2019, 13:33
Administrator

I'm guessing the dovetail is outsourced. Definitely something worth bringing to their attention. My guess would be that they would want to correct that situation quickly.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 February 2019, 14:29
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I'm guessing the dovetail is outsourced. Definitely something worth bringing to their attention. My guess would be that they would want to correct that situation quickly.
Instagram those pics with the right @ and # and watch that shit get fixed toot-sweet
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 4 February 2019, 18:43
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Instagram those pics with the right @ and # and watch that shit get fixed toot-sweet

I'm not sure what to make of any of this yet. Me & Olights Hx hasn't been the best as far as comms go. But now that another person is communicating with me like a *person* instead of being a douchnozzle I may actually get somewhere.

My Local guy will stop by tomorrow or whenever so I can have a look/compare with mine. He bought two as I recall.

I sent the photos, shared the Video to Olight CS. They wrote back and asked if it did the same on other weapons? I then shared the two pics I posted today and told them yes, but also I didn't want to bother with testing on Molds due to the possibility a rail-broach might not be cut straight. Better to stick to testing on gun frames. My other guns have smaller trigger guards. The offset is there, but they don't rub like the XD.

Either way, nothing is going to make the dovetail correct itself. Their rail/carriage is actually off-center and you can see how it would be easily in the photos.

So I got a shit batch or this is the norm.

For me this is strike two. Depending on how the Ump calls this one will guide me going forward.
Old 4 February 2019, 21:25
FIDO

Quote:
How is the huge spotlight you got? If I remember right it should be almost as bright as the sun.
Old 4 February 2019, 23:37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
How is the huge spotlight you got? If I remember right it should be almost as bright as the sun.
I'm still waiting on Forestboy to send it!

-ZZ Top
Old 5 February 2019, 02:14
The Sagacious One

Quote:
The dovetail is also replaceable , one for Glock and one for 1913 I believe. That may be a factor, but not likely. I do not have a new one yet to offer an educated opinion.
Old 5 February 2019, 10:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
The dovetail is also replaceable , one for Glock and one for 1913 I believe. That may be a factor, but not likely. I do not have a new one yet to offer an educated opinion.
I think that is only the lug that fits in the rail notch that is interchangeable. Not the entire dovetail. Mine came with one of each.

ETA you may be right. I am thinking about the 1st Gen version. I don't see a lug in the pictures above? Maybe I am all fucked up and need more coffee.

-ZZ Top
Old 5 February 2019, 10:52
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You're talking about the little notch like keys that fit the Glock or 1911 on the keyway of the gun rail. Your first mini came with such items, and so does this V2. See below photo, Labeled GL and bolted to the top of this thing I call the carriage. The Dovetails I speak of are on the bottom of this carriage depicted.

The dovetail assy/carriage (this 'thing' above) IS replaceable should the manuf. choose to do so, which would make this an easier fix for them if it comes to that.

This carriage thing has two sides; top is photo above and bottom is photo below. The carriage rides on a small notched rail bolted to the top of the light using those dovetails I mention and show.
And it is that feature that allows the gun-rail attachment to move forward and aft, unlike the fixed gun-rail attachment on our Mini-1.

Overall, a very nifty design. Yet, those larger/smaller dovetails do throw the whole of it into a designed offset. In my case, too much to one side.
Old 5 February 2019, 11:45
Administrator

Yeah that's what I was talking about.

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules