SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2301  
Old 27 June 2018, 15:17
Mingo Kane's Avatar
Mingo Kane Mingo Kane is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,720
Yup...neighbor's bee hives--gone.
Reply With Quote
  #2302  
Old 27 June 2018, 15:20
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,373
1RS and I saw one on the way to pick up Stretch at the river on Saturday. Lolling around in some dudes yard like he was the king of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #2303  
Old 27 June 2018, 15:33
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 20,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
The local bears are at it again. Last night I had 5gal of fishfood and a locking can. This morning I have scrap metal and bearshit.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
  #2304  
Old 27 June 2018, 20:09
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
Ok. My son drops by this evening with a new scoped crossbow.

Shoots 20" bolts. I recommended carbon fiber.

What's the latest/greatest in broad heads for crossbows. Looking no more than 40 yds.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2305  
Old 27 June 2018, 22:04
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Ok. My son drops by this evening with a new scoped crossbow.

Shoots 20" bolts. I recommended carbon fiber.

What's the latest/greatest in broad heads for crossbows. Looking no more than 40 yds.
Really depends on what he is planning on shooting..

For whitetail I like a big mechanical broad head.. they tend to fly more consistent / accurate like a field point.. and they make a huge wound channel, leaving a ton of blood to follow, etc..etc..

For just about anything else I prefer fixed blade broad heads.. they are more rugged, will penetrate better through thicker/heavier bone and muscle on something like an over sized pig or a bear, etc..

The mechanical BH's I use (for a bow.. but their crossbow bolt BH's have just as good of a reputation) are rage extremes and rage hypodermics..

For fixed BH's.. I like the Magnus Stingers... I am not sure if Magnus makes anything for crossbows or not though..
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #2306  
Old 28 June 2018, 00:00
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Really depends on what he is planning on shooting..

For whitetail I like a big mechanical broad head.. they tend to fly more consistent / accurate like a field point.. and they make a huge wound channel, leaving a ton of blood to follow, etc..etc..

For just about anything else I prefer fixed blade broad heads.. they are more rugged, will penetrate better through thicker/heavier bone and muscle on something like an over sized pig or a bear, etc..

The mechanical BH's I use (for a bow.. but their crossbow bolt BH's have just as good of a reputation) are rage extremes and rage hypodermics..

For fixed BH's.. I like the Magnus Stingers... I am not sure if Magnus makes anything for crossbows or not though..

For whitetails.

When I bow hunted, not crossbow I used 100/125 gr Thunderheads. I know Muzzy has some good stuff, he's on a tight budget.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2307  
Old 1 July 2018, 11:00
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,149



Pic of one of the cinnamon teal and one of the white cheeked pintails that HH6 nailed in Peru a couple of weeks ago..

If youre into ducks, its hard to beat the coastal areas of northern Peru.. lots of quackers.. and lots of species we either dont get at all in the US, or that are very rare/difficult to find in the US...

This is who we hunted with.. great guide.. nice lodging provided (a room at the family estate), good food, solid vehicles, and good shotguns (benelli M2) are all provided... at a very reasonable price for an international guided hunt..

https://www.chakuperu.com/
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #2308  
Old 1 July 2018, 11:04
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
For whitetails.

When I bow hunted, not crossbow I used 100/125 gr Thunderheads. I know Muzzy has some good stuff, he's on a tight budget.
Tell him to keep an eye on the midwayusa website.. They have put Rage Extremes and Rage Hypodermics on clearance a couple of times already this year.. my guess is when we get a couple of months closer to deer season they will put them on sale again..

Theyre normally about $40 for a 3 pack.. I think I paid $19.99 for a three pack (I bought 2 packs) the last time they went on sale (It might have even been a few bucks cheaper than that)...


https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=rage&userItemsPerPage=48
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #2309  
Old 1 July 2018, 11:14
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Tell him to keep an eye on the midwayusa website.. They have put Rage Extremes and Rage Hypodermics on clearance a couple of times already this year.. my guess is when we get a couple of months closer to deer season they will put them on sale again..

Theyre normally about $40 for a 3 pack.. I think I paid $19.99 for a three pack (I bought 2 packs) the last time they went on sale (It might have even been a few bucks cheaper than that)...


https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=rage&userItemsPerPage=48

Roger that and thanks. I sent him pics of the BH you recommended. We will be shooting close, 40 and under. He is pumped and were going to start whacking everything we see in September w/o impunity.

That teal is beautiful. I always thought the Wood Duck was the prettiest waterfowl and killed many but never had any mounted.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2310  
Old 8 July 2018, 15:08
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Roger that and thanks. I sent him pics of the BH you recommended. We will be shooting close, 40 and under. He is pumped and were going to start whacking everything we see in September w/o impunity.

That teal is beautiful. I always thought the Wood Duck was the prettiest waterfowl and killed many but never had any mounted.
Rage and Muzzy broadhead just went 50% off again at www.midwayusa.com
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #2311  
Old 8 July 2018, 19:45
Shark0311 Shark0311 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 851
Everyone that I have met that hunts big game swears by Slick Tricks.
Reply With Quote
  #2312  
Old 8 July 2018, 20:34
schibbs schibbs is offline
been ***** **** that
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,648
I have never used mechanicals, but I did buy several different types for the nephew on the farm for the crossbow I bought him. ( He sucked with a bow and the crossbow had a softer learning curve) I have heard nothing but good out of the Rage camp. I use fixed blade on my Mathews bow. G5 Montecs, Wasp, Muzzy all good and used Thunderheads for years before the latter. I have killed a buck or two with the cheap Walmart brands, but they shattered when going through bone.
Reply With Quote
  #2313  
Old 9 July 2018, 10:52
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
So, at this range, it really wouldn't matter which BH? I was thinking my chickens were eating an awful lot of corn lately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180708_064405.jpg (30.3 KB, 54 views)
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2314  
Old 9 July 2018, 10:57
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,373
You could kill that one with a frog gig.
Reply With Quote
  #2315  
Old 9 July 2018, 11:21
Box's Avatar
Box Box is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 3,657
...maybe even a claw hammer
__________________
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Reply With Quote
  #2316  
Old 9 July 2018, 12:02
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
You could kill that one with a frog gig.
That's the view into the jungle of sumac and other thorny shit to the south. From my kitchen window over the sink. I raised the window to take that pic. She didnt even budge. I keep the screen off of that side of the window for obvious reasons.

Every day occurrence up until gun season. She has 2 fawns back in the thicket.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2317  
Old 9 July 2018, 12:16
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,373
I saw a doe on the way to my mailbox this morning that had triplets.
Reply With Quote
  #2318  
Old 9 July 2018, 12:33
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
Sitting on the front porch drinking coffee. She moved over here to eat the corn I threw out here for the chickens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180709_122344.jpg (34.5 KB, 45 views)
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2319  
Old 9 July 2018, 12:34
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,845
Ahhh, it came out sideways on me. You get the idea.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #2320  
Old 9 July 2018, 13:56
Mingo Kane's Avatar
Mingo Kane Mingo Kane is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I saw a doe on the way to my mailbox this morning that had triplets.
Having two is not uncommon with the mature brood-does, but three is somewhat rare...means a good year for food, or the overall deer population has dwindled.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 00:31.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET 1996-2018