SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 December 2018, 20:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

Iron Belly told me where the sacred valley is located.

I'm not setting a trap this year. I don't have to make a bunch of money, but I do like to at least break even.
Old 16 December 2018, 07:58

Season's getting short, took advantage of 45F and sunny yesterday to poke around after work. Deep in a thicket of puckerbrush and thorn I could hear some encouraging scratching going on, but would have had to drag my way in and that wasn't happening.

Instead, elected to lob a hunk of oak branch just behind where I thought the bird might be and see if she'd flush.
Yep, although from only about 12' away and straight-line at my head; somehow my snap-shot connected and through some miracle of physics essentially took her head clean off but left the rest unscathed from crop down.

Salt and pepper rub, seared in butter; diced and simmered with left-over broiled potato chunks in some red wine. Ate hot right from the pan.
Finest kind.

DaveP
Old 16 December 2018, 09:45
Shakin' the bush Boss

I love grouse. They're so scarce here anymore I don't shoot them on the rare occasions I see one.

Last edited by Gsniper; 16 December 2018 at 10:04.
Old 16 December 2018, 10:00

Hell yeah that is some good eating right there. And some pretty precise shotgun work.
Old 16 December 2018, 11:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I love grouse. They're so scarce here anymore I don't shoot them on the rare occasions I see one.
I was talking with some friends from back your way, and they believe the lack of early successional habitat is driving the lack of birds. He had some numbers for three Jefferson NF and they were bleak at best.
Old 16 December 2018, 11:24
Shakin' the bush Boss

I have a few where I am, but it's very few. I hear drumming occasionally and see a couple each winter. Hate it, I'd love to keep bird dogs but there just aren't enough birds to make it worth doing.
Old 17 December 2018, 00:16
Confirmed User

If you make it out this way we have plenty. Three species to be exact. Are you setting any iron this year?
Old 17 December 2018, 07:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

I was going to ND every fall and doing Pheasant/sharptail/Hungarian partridge, but we didn't go this year.

Not running any steel. Fur prices are abysmal. I'm going to fish all winter instead.
Old 20 December 2018, 12:02
BTDT

So, I have never been elk hunting.

My son just moved to Colorado and we are talking about possibly doing an elk hunt next year. I have a Remington 700 in .30-06 that I could use but my son doesn't really have anything that would work on elk.

I am looking to get him a decent rifle and as a bonus I am looking for an excuse to buy something new. I have seen good and bad stories about the new Remington 783; for the price, a lot of the "bad" stories that I hear haven't really been enough to scare me away. It's built (and priced) as an entry level gun and that seems to be exactly what you get if you buy one. I have seen them in 7mm-Mag on post for under 400 bucks. To me - that seems like a pretty good price point for a simple gun. I have seen them as gun/scope combos for under 400 but if I 'pull the trigger' on one, it will be looking through a Leupold VX Rifleman that is sitting at home waiting to be married to a decent rifle.

Any ideas or thoughts on a good entry-level gun that could be used on elk?
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 20 December 2018, 12:55
Been There Done That

I'm kinda in the same boat Box. I never have hunted Elk but am looking too. I'm told my .308 is fine for the job. No doubt the 06 is enough gun.

I had a 788 years back and it was trash. IMO. It just didn't seem smooth and I thought the bolt rattled around too much. If this is a newer model than the 788 (?) I would avoid it. Their products got no better after that.

I ended up trading into another handgun with it.

Karl Childers
Old 20 December 2018, 14:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I'm kinda in the same boat Box. I never have hunted Elk but am looking too. I'm told my .308 is fine for the job. No doubt the 06 is enough gun.

I had a 788 years back and it was trash. IMO. It just didn't seem smooth and I thought the bolt rattled around too much. If this is a newer model than the 788 (?) I would avoid it. Their products got no better after that.

I ended up trading into another handgun with it.
I've taken Elk in CO with my .308. 215 yards, one shot, the Elk dropped on the spot...never took another step.

I've also taken Elk in CO with my 6.5 Creedmoor. 320 yards, one shot, the Elk took one step, then DRT.

I much prefer my 6.5 Creedmoor. The ballistics are very tough to beat. Elk does not require a major caliber to harvest.
Old 20 December 2018, 20:19
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I own a 783 in .223 but have not put it through it's paces so I can't say anything one way or the other on quality. In the hand it is a decent rifle. I paid $280.00 for it on special and I was looking for a bolt gun in .223 so it came home.

My first reaction to seeing the 783 with scope packages for $339.00 is that there's no money in that price for a scope. So you're getting an OK rifle with shit glass on it.

With a year to put it together you can surely find a nice rifle and a good used Leupold or similar scope for somewhere south of $5-600.00

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 20 December 2018, 20:53
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
So, I have never been elk hunting.

My son just moved to Colorado and we are talking about possibly doing an elk hunt next year. I have a Remington 700 in .30-06 that I could use but my son doesn't really have anything that would work on elk.

I am looking to get him a decent rifle and as a bonus I am looking for an excuse to buy something new. I have seen good and bad stories about the new Remington 783; for the price, a lot of the "bad" stories that I hear haven't really been enough to scare me away. It's built (and priced) as an entry level gun and that seems to be exactly what you get if you buy one. I have seen them in 7mm-Mag on post for under 400 bucks. To me - that seems like a pretty good price point for a simple gun. I have seen them as gun/scope combos for under 400 but if I 'pull the trigger' on one, it will be looking through a Leupold VX Rifleman that is sitting at home waiting to be married to a decent rifle.

I would look for a nice condition, used Remington 700 ADL/BDL in 7mm. Another option is a used Tikka in maybe like a 300 WinMag. Maybe entertain a 4X12 Leupold or Burris. All good kit.
Old 20 December 2018, 20:55
Shakin' the bush Boss

Find a good used rifle for about 400, buy 200 in ammo and make sure you're tuned up with it with good zero's and come ups for your ranges. Better understanding of ballistics is more important than better rifle.
Old 20 December 2018, 21:05
Confirmed User

Box, Savage makes rifles in that price point that are hard to beat. My next rifle will be a Tikka but they have really jumped in price.
Old 21 December 2018, 03:14
Authorized Personnel

The 788 had the bolt locking lugs on the rear of the bolt. Remington built them as a cheap alternative to the 700. The 788 had/has a reputation for better accuracy out of the box than the 700 did. Remington allegedly discontinued it because it's sales hurt the 700's sales, and they made more $ on a 700.

The 783 is not the same as the 788.

Savage makes one of the most accurate, if not the most accurate, out of the box bolt guns for under $500. The barrel nut allows each rifle to be exactly within SAAMI specs for the over all length of the cartridge it is chambered for. If you are going to shoot factory ammo, the Savage is the way to go.

Downside to the Savage is if you want to trick it out with after market stocks/chassis, etc, it is harder to find them that fit the Savage guns. Remington 700's own that area.
Old 21 December 2018, 11:07
BTDT

I think I will look at a Savage as well. I had one chambered in .270 quite some years ago and it treated me well. A Savage chambered in 7mm is a good option to consider.
I appreciate all of the input.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 21 December 2018, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
The 788 had the bolt locking lugs on the rear of the bolt. Remington built them as a cheap alternative to the 700. The 788 had/has a reputation for better accuracy out of the box than the 700 did. Remington allegedly discontinued it because it's sales hurt the 700's sales, and they made more $ on a 700.

The 783 is not the same as the 788.

Savage makes one of the most accurate, if not the most accurate, out of the box bolt guns for under $500. The barrel nut allows each rifle to be exactly within SAAMI specs for the over all length of the cartridge it is chambered for. If you are going to shoot factory ammo, the Savage is the way to go.

Downside to the Savage is if you want to trick it out with after market stocks/chassis, etc, it is harder to find them that fit the Savage guns. Remington 700's own that area.
I would agree with Forestboy. Savage is the least of the good looking rifles but, in my experience, is the most accurate out of the box. I would put any Remington second for accuracy. I favor Winchester Model 70's and Ruger 77's but have had to do the most tweaking on Ruger's to get them under MOA.
Old 1 January 2019, 18:45
Shakin' the bush Boss

Fresh tenderloin at FOB Gsniper tomorrow. Only 4 days left in the season, figured I'd best get busy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0760.JPG (143.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 1 January 2019, 19:20
Been There Done That

Good kill. Enjoy!

Uhhhh. Did you finish it off with the sledgehammer? You cheap homo.

Karl Childers

Our new posting rules