SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 3 September 2012, 14:43
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Resume Advice - Input Requested

All,

One of the services MIVF has wanted to provide, since we were a couple dudes with a brainstorm, has been to provide resume assistance and professional development guidance.

Essentially, too many of our guys are getting out after multiple enlistments, or even one, with no idea how to navigate the real work world. Of all the requests for help we have received, a common trend is money problems. Problems stemming from underpaid, overqualified dudes working entry-level jobs for barely above minimum wage.

The TAPS class is a joke, with more time spent on coaching non-deployers how to "enhance" their experience than actually teaching soon-to-be civilians what to expect, and how to start off right.

We have quite a list compiled already, but we are a small sample batch, and what has worked for us might not be the best. I would like to get feedback from anyone, of any corporation, firm, or agency, who handles resume reading/candidate interviews. What do you look for, and what are some things NOT to do? If we can add your input, that would give these guys a fighting chance they might not get otherwise.

MIVF hasa target audience, but at this point, we would like to circulate this information as much as possible to veterans.

If you would like to participate, please PM me.

Thank you.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 3 September 2012, 14:46
Administrator

I am available to help.
Old 3 September 2012, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I am available to help.
Wow. This is huge, thank you Sir.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 3 September 2012, 16:08
Authorized Personnel

Not as cool as SB, but I would also help, it seems to be much of what I do daily.
Old 3 September 2012, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
Not as benevolent and SB, but I would also help, it seems to be muc of what I do daily.
Ha, well with your help maybe we can reduce the amount of "Hey bro, hook it up" emails you have to throw away...

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 3 September 2012, 16:24
On the Extract Bird

Just finished off the exam to become a Certified Professional Resume Writer. One more step toward a new direction in life. (See http://parw.com)

My experience thus far has been writing primarily for those in the IT field, however I would be happy to offer my time and experience toward veterans of military and law enforcement as well.

Not quite sure what help you're looking for, however please feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
Old 3 September 2012, 16:29

I will send you a PM, but I wanted to add, the idea is to get as many backgrounds as possible. It would be awesome to have someone give advice to a guy who is going up for an IT job, someone else give pointers for engineering, another for oil rig jobs, etc.

Thank you for your assistance, as well as to those who've PM'd me about this.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 3 September 2012, 16:35
?

I am more than willing to help as much as I can. Been through targeted selection training for hiring managers. Have been on both sides of the table with that process.

"OK, thankfully my wife doesn't read SOCNET -- something to do with it being filled with likeminded, immature people. Fuck her." - SOTB
Old 3 September 2012, 17:10
The Sagacious One

I used to write resumes for GI's at FT Polk and belonged to PARW.

Let me know what I can do.
Old 3 September 2012, 17:33

Thank you Sir, much appreciated.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 4 September 2012, 01:13
Authorized Personnel

Shot out.
Old 4 September 2012, 01:48
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
... and belonged to PARW.
It's almost comforting to find someone on SOCNET who's belonged to PARW. Just took the exam last week, waiting to receive the certification. New profession for me, hoping to bring in a semi-steady income writing for JobFox and an IT resume service.

Might I ask, what was your experience with PARW? Positive? Did it open doors for you?
Old 4 September 2012, 09:26
REMF

I'm a Recruiter by trade. I'll be more than happy to help any Soldier.
Old 5 September 2012, 00:01
FIDO

I do it for the medical IT world, let me know what I can do to help.
Old 5 September 2012, 01:01

I was and currently law enforcement but took a break for a couple years and managed a sat/cable company and hired "no prior experienced" employees and more bias toward vets. PM anytime with guys loking into telecommunications or law enforcement fields.
Old 5 September 2012, 09:43

Thanks for all the replies and PM's! This could turn out great.

If I didn't reply to anyone, I'm travelling for the next and last few days so I'm not being a dick, just can't give a worthy reply via crackberry.

Ill get back to everyone.

Thanks again

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 5 September 2012, 13:10
Confirmed User

If you don't have any input from engineering fields, I can offer some assistance. Probably not as qualified as some of the folks here and I do not have a military background, but I have reviewed many entry level and some journeymen resumes as a part of hiring teams for federal GS engineering positions.
Old 20 September 2012, 07:50

We are still compiling information, but we have two particular guys right now that are in a bad way. Both purple heart recipients, who are still not "disabled" by VA standards, looking for a better job than their $300 a week part time gigs.

Anyone in Phoenix that can throw some shifts their way? One shot in the shoulder, the other suffering severe nerve damage, so manual labor is out of their options right now.

Any PM's greatly appreciated.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 20 September 2012, 13:24
Not Dead? Don't Quit!

I'll gladly rep the Oil Field stuff. I run all operations for an emergency response company. My AO is Alaska. I'll PM some things that I look for. A good start is ICS( ICS-100.b, ICS-200.b etc...) training via FEMA's website. Its all free and you get a fancy little cert emailed when finished. I'll answer any questions pertaining to this field. PM away.

ADD: I wanted to add that I usually always give vets priority. Just hired 4 in the past year. One for a safety position (prior AF EOC/CBRN Weapon detection experience) One prior Ranger and the other two were Navy guy's.
There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses...only results

Last edited by AK49; 20 September 2012 at 13:31.
Old 20 September 2012, 14:20
Been There Done That

I was the assistant Project Manager for a logistics contract here at Fort Campbell, part of the interviewing board/process.

I can help with folks looking into jobs regarding military logistics.

I can also help soon to be former Infantry guys take the 'muddy boots' off of their resumes and put their experience into civlian terms.

Our new posting rules