SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 February 2010, 04:37
Martian for Pax Romana

Another one. I was at Abu Gharab, acting as QRF. We had a HUMVEE which served as an ambulance of sorts. I was sleeping, curled up on the top shelf of the back end of the vehicle. Now, that area in 2003 was fodder for rocket and mortar attacks. There I was in 100 degree heat, chillin' in the back of this HUMVEE, and I hear pphssst pphssst pphssst, and I think to myself, "please let it be flares, please let it be flares..." I hear my 1st sgt (El Deecho) yell, "take cover!!!!" I jump out and scramble to find cover under the vehicle. Sure enough, impacts hit not too far away. I've had a couple of instances at Abu Gharab that were none too pleasant. Don't get me started on the cans of MK 19 or .50 cal that I've unloaded in the Vil. Good times. This is a great thread.
Old 5 February 2010, 04:37
Confirmed User

I've got two, one is service related, the other isn't but I don't really know where else to post it.

Back before I joined the Marines, I did a short unsuccessful stint in the Army (youth and stupidity caused me to get out earlier than I planned, but that's another story) Anyways, I'm information at Ft. Leonard Wood walking to the DFAC from the A 3-10 barracks sing songing about punching/kicking/throwing people in rivers and laughing while they drowned. Anyways, as were rolling along I hear one of the Drill Sergeants yell out in a combination of shock and fear and then I smelled something that was instantly recognizable. I guess she had stepped down off the side walk and her foot landed next to a skunk which startled it, and she got the goods.

The second one happened when I was surfing. A buddy and I were out in the line up at Scripps Pier in La Jolla BS'ing with the other guys while waiting for a set to roll in. Out of nowhere this guy starts flipping out, yelling "ohshitsomethingsfuckingbitingmewhatthefuckisthat?" I freaked out, thinking it was a shark or something because you see 'em out there from time to time. As we are paddling towards him some sort of bird surfaces and flies off. I guess it was down there and thought his foot was a fish. We lost it, I almost drowned from laughing so hard.
Old 5 February 2010, 05:45
Livin' On Blues Power

Doing some desert training near Cibola AZ in early 80s and I pull guard duty while team is out on night patrol. I'm cooking me up one of them new MRE's when I hear some rustling in the tent where my MRE is on the trioxane. I think it's illegals pinching some food so I unsling the GAU-5 and creep in for a look. All I see is the back of the tent move and then footsteps out the back and my MRE is gone.

I dash around to the back of the tent and there is Mr. Kit Fox trotting off with my supper. One round in the jaw at about 50 yards and that was the end of the thieving.

Jeff G. modeling the pelt the next day.

Old 5 February 2010, 06:13
The Trunk Monkey!

An evening chase with what I thought at first was a naked long-haired feral kid over the roof top of my principal's huge compound in Moradabad, U.P. India. When I finally cornered the hairy bugger at the edge of a roof-veranda being built, he turned around and in the low light I saw that he was in fact an it and not one of Northern India's wild children! It was the ugliest damn creature I ever did see... it looked at me casually as if saying: "I can break you in two buddy" and then proceeded to climb up, over, and down the compound wall.

Damn fucking scared the shit out of me until the next day a gentleman came by looking for his "Rinch" (aka Bear) from the travelling gypsy show! It was a Sloth Bear with a fairly nude face and upper body due to his age and a skin disorder... he was looking for water. He showed up again that night and I was able to catch him following the instructions of his owner... he was actually quite sweet but god he was ugly and stunk like hell!
Old 5 February 2010, 08:48
A/1/75

Ah yes Ft. Stewart, loads of fun

Getting charged at by boars and only having blanks, we attempted to use blanks with cleaning rods to halt the little buggers...

60 range with hogs on the run, good practice learning to lead...

PB with deer running through at 2 am scaring the beejies out of everyone...

Hearing Big Foot coming toward you and in the end see a little pig emerge...

Fire ants, nasty critters that show no mercy

Chiggers

Skeeters, tiny little buzz in your ear and suck your blood types no matter how much deet you have on

Being point man and walking into a face full of web, not cool

Capturing baby gators and hearing them squeal for mama

Brown Recluse

Lightning Strikes

Ground Hornet nest attacking the PL who had to be airlifted out

Luckily snakes left us alone for the most part

Charlie
Old 5 February 2010, 09:36
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Snakes could be it's own thread.... We had an Lt at Collier that had a big club, the end of which was wrapped in barbed wire. Every morning he would patrol the bunkers and trenches, whacking snakes. When he got one, he would jump out of the trench with it, and issue his "war cry" shaking it in one hand, and his club in the other. Funny as hell to see in person.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 5 February 2010, 09:43
RIP SOTB, CASS

Re-post Polar Bear encounter

Well, it goes like this. Prospect Park Brooklyn,New York. This kid and his two buddies, 10-12yrs old, are near the polar bear enclosure. I was in a plainclothes unit at the time and our office was on one side of the park. We hear gunshots and proceed to the area. We see a few uniformed cops shooting at something. Upon closer observation, we can see a Polar Bear just shredding this kid. A few more cops show up and the shooting continued. We were trying to put the rounds towards the middle and rear of the bear. We didn't want to hit the kid(yeah I know). ESU shows up and they hit the bear with Mini-14's and Ithaca mdl 37's. Now, you have to realize this took just minutes.

So, this bear is down, we look around and we see two more pairs of sneakers.....holy shit, now bear #2 comes out of the den. Park folks want to tranqualize bear, ESU boss says no time, the other kids could be injured in the den. ESU shoots and kills the other bear. They make entry, search for victims and find pieces. The experts are brought in and Necropsey is performed. Human remains are found. It is not too much later that we learned that the other two jetted when they saw the buddy getting eaten. The PR issue wasn't really that bad, I mean the activists were around but they didn't really raise an eyebrow until ESU fought over who was going to keep the skins.
Old 5 February 2010, 10:09
Confirmed User

Western NC, when I was a corpsman, running patrols in the mountains during training, ran into a big black bear, totally by accident. We were a couple feet from each other. I crapped my pants, he ran away.

Oh, and lots of snakes.
Old 5 February 2010, 10:35
كافر

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Ah yes Ft. Stewart, loads of fun

Getting charged at by boars and only having blanks, we attempted to use blanks with cleaning rods to halt the little buggers...

60 range with hogs on the run, good practice learning to lead...

PB with deer running through at 2 am scaring the beejies out of everyone...

Hearing Big Foot coming toward you and in the end see a little pig emerge...

Fire ants, nasty critters that show no mercy

Chiggers

Skeeters, tiny little buzz in your ear and suck your blood types no matter how much deet you have on

Being point man and walking into a face full of web, not cool

Capturing baby gators and hearing them squeal for mama

Brown Recluse

Lightning Strikes

Ground Hornet nest attacking the PL who had to be airlifted out

Luckily snakes left us alone for the most part

I think anyone who has been stationed on or near Ft. Stewart aka Camp Swampy, has experienced everything you have mentioned. I know I have...
Old 5 February 2010, 11:43
Living the dream

Last week a bird crapped on my head while walking to LZ Washington.

Company MG shot a deer on a range in Graf.. hit that bitch mid-leap with TPT at about 800 meters on thermals. Totally by mistake I'm sure.
Old 5 February 2010, 11:53
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai
Totally by mistake I'm sure.
The truth is, I think you're probably right. I've seen deer wander in front of a line of Marines at a range at Camp LeJeune, and that same deer be fine after the entire line unloads on it....
Old 5 February 2010, 12:28
On the Extract Bird

Most of my memorable encounters are from Panama...I'm not much of a story teller and I type w/ 2 fingers...

Things you should NEVER f*ck w/ in Panama...

Killer bees:
Trust me there is nothing more terrifying than to be in the assault position on a raid LFX and get hit by a swarm of killer bees with no where to run but, towards the obj while the SBF is still hammering it. I thank GOD that the SBF saw us in time to cease. You haven't seen an "everyman for himself" mentality until you see a group of men running from killer bees.

Acacia ants:
There is a bush/tree that has hollow thorns that these ants live in. I believe they have some kind of arrangement. The ants live in the hollow thorns and NOTHING f*cks w/ the bush/tree. Rub up against one and you will know why.

Vampire bats
I've seen what these bastards can do first hand to a sleeping Soldier. Needless to say, I've had PSGs and SLs have their men do "bat watch" while in a PB. A Soldier walks around with a flashlight and shines it on the the guys while they sleep. If he sees one, the Soldier "shoos" them away.

Howler Monkees
Already covered...LOL

50cal ants
Big ass ants... thank GOD they don't congregate in large groups.
Old 5 February 2010, 13:01
Been There Done That

Had a gray flash of some fast-swimming beast about 12 feet long blast between my swim buddy and me once in BUD/S. Can't be certain what it was, but I have a feeling he used a very specialized toothbrush...

Various critters crawling through my ghillie suit as a sniper on R&S training missions, lying in swamps, jungles, deserts. Come to think of it, there IS one benefit to being in the snow!!

We shot a moose with an MP5-SD once, and used every part of it in a primal survival training course.

I was running down to the water to start a pre-dawn timed swim with my buddy in BUD/S out at the island and right as I was about to jump over it, a huge pile of kelp sat up and hollered at us. It was a great-grandaddy Sea Lion. He was big, his bellowing was LOUD and....quite unexpected at the instant it happened. Whoa!!

OK, here's one: Again, out on the island during BUD/S, we're in the classroom for a night swim briefing when a lady comes in from the airport and announces that the next couple hours would be the very peak or Killer Whale migration between San Clemente and Catalina islands. So, make sure not to go into the water under any circumstances. The instructors happily rogered up, telling her we had no such intention.

Then, when she walked out the door, they continued the briefing. We went down to the water and conducted our swim. I never saw any Orcas during the swim, but I did see tracer fire going over our heads. Later, after I graduated, I asked one of the instructors if that was a mind game and he said hell no, it's a well-documented fact and the migration schedule was readily available public information. Wahoo. It's not just a job, it's an adventure, right?

I swam through lots of SEAL spooge on our long swims out there. You could see them swimming back and forth under you, craning their heads around to look into your mask as they blast by, playing like a bunch of kids. Because it was mating season, the water was filled with clouds of milky white spooge. Waddaya gonna do? I barely made it out of the water, due to hypothermia on our longest swim. The next class had a guy die on the same swim, so they moved that evolution back to the strand where trauma centers were closer by.

Laid up on an island once during sniper R&S mission with HUGE freaking rats running all over the place. I was woken up for watch one time by my buddy quickly grabbing my arm and shaking it with 2 fingers. I was sleeping with my booney hat down over my eyes, leaning back against my ruck, under our poncho, stretched between bushes in thick jungle. Typical SEAL LUP. I swatted his hand with my hat about 3 times before he could jerk his hand back away. I just saw his silhouette chuckling..Bastard!! ...Good one.

We broke one night during winter warfare training in Tahoe (high in the mountains) to make and sleep in our own improvised shelters. We had gotten quite a bit of survival training, so it was just a chance to make use of that. I found a fallen pine tree and made a wall around it and covered the top with snow. I slid down into it and slept like a baby in a bag with a bivvy around it. When I woke up to the chimes of my G-Shock at 0500, I climbed out and started packing up, only to notice some HEALTHY sized mountain lion paw prints all around the snow wall I had built. He was within 2 feet of me on all sides. I guess I didn't smell good to him...I would have just shot him if he attacked, bu tit was still an...."unsettling" revelation.

Enough for now. I know there have to be more, though.
Old 5 February 2010, 13:13

In the Marine Corps While down in Curaco our team was attacked by killer bees after someone did the rucksackflop on a rock with a hive under it. The TL (Eddie D.) wanted me to run down slope to draw the bees away as I was the only one not getting stung. I just wrapped my dew rag over my face and eased away while they were all swatting and running down slope.
Old 5 February 2010, 13:20

While doing mountain warfare training (Bridgeport) once we were stalked by a mountain lion for awhile and one night while in our harbor site had something big walk up to us and give us a sniff. It was so big it tore down brush as it came towards us. At first I thought it was a whole line company heading towards us until we could feel the ground shake as it took steps towards us. We slipped out our mags with blanks and slipped in our mags with live ammo (survival rounds we called them). When it was a few meters from us it snorted and boxed around the team and left.

While in the Army we once set up our harbor site next to a stream (big no no). One guy was then bitten twice by a snake but was so tired didnt say anything until the next day when he was in shit state. He was medevaced and given the wrong anti venom at the hospital. They later figured out what they did wrong and got him fixed up though.
Old 5 February 2010, 15:51
Banned User

Somebody mentioned deer. I was running the line at West Point about 20 years ago and right in the middle of firing a big buck and maybe six females walked onto the range. I called a cease fire, God forbid we should kill a deer out of season on government property, and walked out to shoo them away. They just looked at me and kept eating. I took out my .45 and fired a few rounds into the ground. They totally ignored me. I think those bastards knew they were protected and could not be harmed on the military reservation. They were fearless. They slowly worked their way across the range and after maybe 30 minutes continued into the woods.
Old 5 February 2010, 18:04

Wolverine/Badger

My story is a little tame compared to some of these, but if you can empathize then you might find it pretty funny.
Early 90s in Pinon Canyon (Ft. Carson) we are on a March green FTX and my team pulls out the tent from the back of our communications 577 and sets it up for the night during dusk. As it gets darker and we're putting out our cots and notice a big depression near the center of the tent. So we set up a cot over it (not mine) to keep us from tripping when we do shifts covering the comms.
Just as we are all getting off to sleep, the loudest, meanest growl I have ever heard in my life comes from directly under that cot. We all sit up and say WTF was that...then an old MACV 5th SFG SMG yells out, "Wolverine!" and we all proceed to shit our collective sleeping bags.
Everyone is scrabbling to get out of their bags (we all forgot they had zippers) and race to the 577. Our driver (who had 1st rotation on radio) is up and out the top hatch and drops into the driver's and lights it up. We dragged the tent and all our gear a half mile before we felt safe. I don't remember any of the driving away because I'm over 6 feet and when I ran up the ramp I smashed my face into the back plate (forgot to duck down). I came to after they had stopped. Nose cut straight down the middle.

Good Times...
Old 5 February 2010, 18:22
Squelch

ALways on the look out for bears, but more often the moose up at Fort Richardson, AK. Ran into more than a couple during morning PT. Nothing scarier than a mother moose and her babies and you in between them. During saftey week, we always got to watch that poor dude get his ass stomped into the ground at the University of Alaska or whatever that one winter and that image was fresh in the mind of all of us out running.

That and Operation Talisman Saber. Nothing like an Aussie telling you to watch your step, as the baby i think it was a Brown snake slithered away between my boots. Potent enough to kill a man with ease even as a baby. Also stepped over a few i believe cottonmouths, dodged a few skunks and had to drive eratic to not hit deer, turkeys, or even the occasional turtle at Fort Knox.
Old 5 February 2010, 18:46
On the Extract Bird

We were in the middle of maneuvers on the Golan Heights many moons ago when on a late night/early morning ride in a jeep along some back roads I felt something alongside me. When I glanced over I saw a huge Striped Hyena a few feet from the jeep, running (loping really), keeping pace with me at about 35-40kph. He stayed with me for another 20 seconds, then veered off into the night.
It was a very cool sight (from inside the jeep)

Last edited by sabasarge; 5 February 2010 at 19:16. Reason: spelling
Old 5 February 2010, 19:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
Goddamned fire ants...

Benning. Drill and Ceremony. I am assigned to a squad of retards. The DI's are pissed at all the retardedness. We have guys that can't tell direction. Left? Right? WTF is THAT?
These asshats are dropping their rifles, running into each other... Even I am pissed, and finding it ever harder to restrain myself. I also don't want to fuck up, to add to an already hot, pissed off staff.

They call us to a halt, for yet another ass chewing session. Guess who's standing on the fire ant hill from hell? Damn skippy. Your's truly. After the 2 minute chewing of the required portion of ass, we start marching again. The ants apparently had sent out a company sized recon element, complete with forward observers, onto both of my boots/pant legs.

Anyone that has to Benning knows that, during the July months, to keep our body temperature down, we walk around with unbloused boots. Not a bad idea in theory, however this barbaric practice gives the ants the advantage. These little demons from Satan's asshole had a clear shot, right to my wabos.

They were quite content with doing recon, until we started marching. This apparently made them think that it would be a good idea to begin their blitzkrieg attack on my calves. (Thank God their forward elements did not make it further north in their march)

If you have never been stung by these little fuckers, getting one or two stings is really not a big deal. They are kinda like a cross between a yellow jacket and hornet, only they are bigger assholes. The entire company had apparently received orders from their HQ to sting as many times as they could, and as hard as they could. Dandy.

After the first 30 or so stings, you would think that you wouldn't feel much anymore. I mean, you would think that something would start going numb, right? Nope. After a couple minutes, a halt was again called, and we were given "5" to take in our hourly dose of water, to prevent dehydration. Thank God for the threat of dehydration. I'm digging up my pant legs trying to get these Satan's little flame throwers out of my pants. One of the DIs came over and observed my predicament, and was nice enough to help. He was also nice enough to send me to the hospital. Those little fucksticks left stings on both my calves, I would say somewhere between 25 and 35 on each calf. They swell up like golf ball sized zits. They looked like golf ball sized zits. The felt like someone shoved a branding iron into each calf.

When I returned to the company area, the DI that helped me out before, took me aside and advised that, in the future, fire ants outrank DIs, and should I be attacked again, regardless of what we were doing, permission was granted to remove same attackers. He also commented about the hardcoredness of maintaining discipline while the ants feasted. I missed the entire MOUNT section of Basic, which they "fixed" for me.

I found out during the same injury that I am allergic to some forms of adhesive. Oh yeah. I had bandages around both calves, secured with, you guessed it, the same tape adhesive I am allergic to. Copious amounts of it, matter of fact. The areas under the tape, which had previously been the only parts of my calves that didn't take a direct assault, broke out in severe hives, blistering and swelled. Lucky me. The severe infection from all this, settled to my ankles after a couple days, causing the skin around both ankles to pretty much melt (for lack of a better descriptive word). It took three months of antibiotics, ointments, peroxide, and miles of bandage to fix the problem. I still have scars, 25 years later.

Fire ants are assholes.
When I was in basic, our drill in reception had had enough with some of the females in our platoon (all female platoon), so we all got taken out back and dropped in that pyramid deal where ya put your feet on someone else's back and everyone has to hold each other up. Well, wouldn't you know, we're not down for longer than like.. 15 seconds before I start thinking.. "ummm.....this is... painful..." and look down to realize my hand is literally red. Not the skin. Nope. It was a layer of ants. Mind you, I'm from California.. we don't HAVE fireants.. I had NO idea what they were... all I knew is that my arms were now covered and I was in agony. But the DS was so angry at us, that none of us said anything until some chick finally collapsed and starting yelling. Drill yelled for us to get up and we did... woof, the chicken dance we all did trying to get these things off of us. Next few days were miserable.

I. Hate. Fireants.

Our new posting rules