SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 15 July 2014, 10:31
On the Extract Bird

Very moving. The one Vet has an incredible resemblance to Mark Schlereth. I passed the link on to Cody and Matt Patron and others who were involved with Collecting Sgt Dan. Praying for the widest distro for this one. Just. Wow.
Old 15 July 2014, 12:07
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I think this one will be hard for many of us to watch. ie....there but for the grace of God, go I. I have been very lucky on quite a few occasions. Knock on wood, as its not over yet by a long shot.
It's going to be hard for anybody to watch it, but I honestly think it might make those who have never been in the military or had family members come home with PTSD more uncomfortable than anyone who has been exposed to the subject matter.

This isn't the happy go lucky, yellow ribbon, Support the Troops, increase funding at the VA type of support they have been conditioned to provide. This shows the real cost of war and America has been shielded from it by and large for the last 12 years. I still think everybody should see it, I just don't know how the non-military public will react to its message.
Old 15 July 2014, 12:15
On the Extract Bird

"The terrorist's terrorist"....I fucking love that comment!
Old 15 July 2014, 22:50
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
. . . .I still think everybody should see it, I just don't know how the non-military public will react to its message.
I suspect that is a very huge reason that the info regarding showings and showings themselves are being doled out ever so cautiously. This is a genuine film with genuine articles, and not to be taken lightly or halfheartedly. Ms.Driscoll from all I read has done a bang-up job with the AFF since her tenure there. She has definitely got the money folks talkin to her and I think she takes her roll seriously. . .incl. this Film.
Old 15 July 2014, 23:48
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Just tweeted Patricia Driscoll to find out about viewings/showings. Will report back (Driscoll is of course the president of the AFF).

ETA; they just began their vacation (She and Kurt Busch & Houston her son) so we'll see.
The Twitter-twatter.

Mine: @Patricia_AFF Can you provide a listing of viewings/showings of TWILDM?

The reply: "@2AHolster @Patricia_AFF nothing yet but if you go to http://www.twildm.com & sign up you'll be notified when we do. Thx for your interest!"

They're keeping this hand close.
Old 24 July 2014, 16:29
Been There Done That

Sharky, PM inbound.

I'd take half of that duo with an extreme grain of salt.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 8 November 2014, 00:18
Authorized Personnel

Pivot will be airing the documentary on Veterans Day, 7pm EST.

More: hollywoodreporter DOT com/live-feed/pivot-premiere-ptsd-documentary-veterans-747372
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan
Old 7 March 2015, 13:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Sharky, PM inbound.

I'd take half of that duo with an extreme grain of salt.
ML, if possible could you clarify your last? The university vets group I used to help run is doing a screening soon, with appearances by the subjects of the film. Just want to make sure they're getting what they think they are.
Old 7 March 2015, 16:01
Calculating Infinity...

Shared on FB
Old 7 March 2015, 18:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
ML, if possible could you clarify your last? The university vets group I used to help run is doing a screening soon, with appearances by the subjects of the film. Just want to make sure they're getting what they think they are.
Check your PM's.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 16 July 2015, 10:28
I reckon so. . .

Couldn't find a better place for this. . .

Story from ESPN ". . . Charity Navigator, a website that rates nonprofit entities, withdrew its four-star evaluation of the Armed Forces Foundation and instead placed it on its donor-advisory list."

Link to story: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...ces-foundation

Seems the Armed Forces Foundation had to let Patricia Driscoll go (paid admin leave, followed by resignation) after Outside The Lines did some digging into how she was using AFF funds.

I didn't know about this 'Charity Navigator' site. Another source for future reference for me.
Old 22 July 2015, 23:51
The Sagacious One

Here is the entire movie, you gotta love youtube.

I think the most important message is its OK to ask for help. They give each veteran permission to ask for help.

This permission to, what we perceive as, show weakness has been very important to me. Someone I deeply respected gave me permission to drop my ruck and take the path of homeland security. It still stings, but guilt is manageable as opposed to overwhelming.

Watch it and don't be a cheap fucker, donate. For fuck's sake they have only received $3200. That is unsat.
Old 23 July 2015, 14:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

I think the most important message is its OK to ask for help. They give each veteran permission to ask for help.

This permission to, what we perceive as, show weakness has been very important to me. Someone I deeply respected gave me permission to drop my ruck and take the path of homeland security. It still stings, but guilt is manageable as opposed to overwhelming.

Watch it and don't be a cheap fucker, donate. For fuck's sake they have only received $3200. That is unsat.
Just watched this powerful movie in its entirety, well done! One of the more riveting movies out there on this issue.

TFG and all thank you for posting this. I'm still on active duty and wish I could donate a more sizeable chunk of my time and money to this and other veterans causes, it's only going to become worse in the years to come.

If I was king I would find a way to start a company that just hired veterans and their families without all the PC BS attached.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 23 July 2015, 17:23
I reckon so. . .

Quote:

So is this somehow not tied to the AFF I mentioned above??
Old 23 July 2015, 18:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Certainly fucking seems to be: https://armedforcesfoundation.org/twildm/
Old 23 July 2015, 19:28
The Sagacious One

Quote:
I don't know. Seems to have switched hands, maybe.
Old 24 July 2015, 09:01
Confirmed User

I watched this at work on Memorial Day. It was being streamed for free but I donated. To say it moved me would be an understatement.
Old 24 July 2015, 11:03
The Sagacious One

So did I fuck this up? Did AFF not rectify their issues? I am trying to look past a broken plank in the bridge to see the objective on the other side.
Old 25 July 2015, 09:18
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
So did I fuck this up? Did AFF not rectify their issues? I am trying to look past a broken plank in the bridge to see the objective on the other side.
No, not at all. I think that's something that lays squarely on the shoulders of Patricia Driscoll.

This site, Charity Navigator dropped their rating of AFF due to the controversy surrounding Ms.Driscolls appropriation of AFF funds. link here http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ry&orgid=12442

She's since departed.

A broken plank is a good analogy. Yet when oversight is so poor as to allow her to use AFF funds as her own go to fund acct. for private activity, I have a problem with contributing any funds to them.

YMMV~
Old 25 July 2015, 12:20
RIP Cass and SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I myself would buy this on Blu-ray or DVD if available.
Shared the link on other sites.
I would as well, where can I find the full length film?

Our new posting rules