SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 March 2017, 23:39
The atomic zit

Rolling change....

Does anyone still do this?

In the old days I would go to the bank and get sleeves. Probably should do that again.

Now days, the lazy man can dump them into a sorting machine at the grocery for $0.90 something on the dollar.

What say you?
Old 12 March 2017, 23:51
Did...did I do that?

Some of those machines only pay out on a VISA debit card, or even a store-limited card. Read the fine print.
Old 13 March 2017, 00:09
I really don't care

I use TCF bank. They have the machines at all locations and at all Cub Foods, with no fees for members! Last time I rolled quarters was about 20yrs ago.
Old 13 March 2017, 00:13
BTDT

Our family has a huge glass jar we throw our change in. Every few years we get rolls from the bank and roll it. Takes a while. The jar is round and bigger than a medicine ball.

The bank had a coin sorter/counter and would take the unrolled change and give back bills as a service to customers. When the machine broke, they said they could take the change, send it off to be counted and deposit it in our account. That is when we started the big jar and rolling it ourselves.
Old 13 March 2017, 00:16
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
Our family has a huge glass jar we throw our change in. Every few years we get rolls from the bank and roll it. Takes a while. The jar is round and bigger than a medicine ball.
I do the same thing. I use a big ass pickle jar. The last few times I took it, it was about 1/2 full each time. Got back over $200 eah time!
Old 13 March 2017, 01:43
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
I used to use a similar jar. A 5 gallon glass carboy. That was great until I picked it up one day after it sat for about 3 years and was a quarter full.
I realized immediately that the carpet was flat for life underneath it, but before I could set it down and be pissed off, the carboy exploded. The weight inside was too heavy. great day!

Be careful with the glass.
Old 13 March 2017, 02:15
killjoy

Believe it or not, even such a small amount of cash being visible in your home makes you a target for theft. Seems petty but it happens.

I assume you are all adults that don't have parties or allow strangers into your home so should be no issue there, but still a good piece of advice to pass on to the general audience: Don't keep any money, even change, visible in your home.
Old 13 March 2017, 02:56
Hard to Kill

I have a basket from Kenya in my office for change. It typically holds a few hundred dollars. The quarters miraculously get pilfered for car washes, leaving me with pennies, dimes and nickels as well as a few Pesos, Riyals and some other Paki money.
Old 13 March 2017, 05:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I have a basket from Kenya in my office for change. It typically holds a few hundred dollars. The quarters miraculously get pilfered for car washes, leaving me with pennies, dimes and nickels as well as a few Pesos, Riyals and some other Paki money.

Same here. Can't keep a freaking quarter because I'm anal about my truck. It is surprisingly though how much can add up in an old jar.

Karl Childers
Old 13 March 2017, 06:38
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Don't forget the Chucky Cheese tokens!
Old 13 March 2017, 07:11
Another pool cleaner

Change in the couch has fueled many drunk-night sub searches.

We have "Jaws" : a plastic shark that looks like a large kid toy for our change repository. Looks like all the other kid toys strewn about our place.
Old 13 March 2017, 08:07
Shakin' the bush Boss

I have a jar that holds about a gallon. When it gets full I take it to my bank, which has a sorter. They deposit it into my account, then I buy 10oz silver bars with it and put them in my gun safe.
Old 13 March 2017, 08:24
Authorized Personnel

I was still rolling change up to 5 or 6 years ago. Then my local bank put in a change machine that is free if you are a customer. You can get the cash right then but you have to see a teller. About 10 years ago we started cashing out coins in every year to pay for Thanksgiving dinner, it's a little tradition now :)

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 13 March 2017, 08:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Believe it or not, even such a small amount of cash being visible in your home makes you a target for theft. Seems petty but it happens.
Wait, so my couch, china, televisions, computers and all that other shit is ok, but a change jar is going to make me a target for theft?

I keep pennies in a 1 Gallon Seagrams 7 promo bottle my dad gave me 20+ years ago. Just checked, turns out the bottle is worth more than the number of pennies it will hold.

Regular change is kept in mason jars. I used to roll change all the time as a kid, but now I'm lazy and pay someone 10% (the machine) to sort it for me. Last time I put in my silver it was $82.
Old 13 March 2017, 08:42
Confirmed User

Most banks will sort it for you. I have a plastic water cooler bottle I bought at Walmart for $5. When I have enough that I think is enough to cash in, I just take it to my bank. They dump it in to their machine and give me the cash.
As said above, be careful with glass ones. I had the bottom break right out when I tried picking my old one up once. Hence, the plastic one now.
I usually cash it in once a year and that's what I buy a new gun or something I want with it. In a year(if I can keep the wife and kids out of it), I can save about $400-$500
Old 13 March 2017, 09:10
Doc McNasty

Navy Federal has the machine in the lobby and it goes right into your account. Its about as convenient as it gets.
Old 13 March 2017, 09:33
Good Medicine, Bad Places

I used to roll my change until the bank put one of those machines in. Now I just dump it into two old coffee tins. When they are full, I just take them in and deposit the cash in my savings.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.
Old 13 March 2017, 09:43
Important nobody

Used to roll 'em years ago. Now our bank, like others, has a machine. Dump it in, get your receipt and cash out. No fee.
Old 13 March 2017, 10:00
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I use Navy Federal, which has coin machines that will deposit directly into your account, with no service fee.

I used to save change up as a vacation fund, but I hardly use cash anymore, so I have much less change lying around than I used to.

In the processing of clearing out my late MIL's house recently, we cashed in over $800 worth of change. (still haven't found the mint-condition Superman Vol 1 in the attic that would fund our retirement, though.)
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 13 March 2017, 10:06
The atomic zit

Looks like my bank is on the list:

https://www.mybanktracker.com/news/coin-counting-machines-banks-where-find-them

Must be a behind the counter thing, because I have never seen it in the lobby...

Our new posting rules