SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 21 November 2018, 14:55
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Good news. For the next 12 days Northern California is getting rain every day. It’s raining moderately and steady at the fort I call home.

In my 48 on and off years in CA, I cannot recall a fire season running this late in the year.

After a week, plenty of bulletins, and family searching hi and low, there are still 1,300 people missing.

I hope this ends better than I think it will.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 21 November 2018, 15:45
Jakers Jakers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 451
Hopefully it doesn't rain to much- that can lead to other problems after severe forest fires.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...your-old-stuff
This bothers me. A lot. I get not wanting items that aren't going to be used (though there are plenty of places that will take those items and they could be sent there at the end) and I get being overwhelmed with goods (even though they made the choice to set themselves up as a donation center so should be willing to deal with it)...but not wanting anything other than new clothes? Fuck them. Self-entitled assclowns.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 21 November 2018, 15:57
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
Hopefully it doesn't rain to much- that can lead to other problems after severe forest fires.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...your-old-stuff
This bothers me. A lot. I get not wanting items that aren't going to be used (though there are plenty of places that will take those items and they could be sent there at the end) and I get being overwhelmed with goods (even though they made the choice to set themselves up as a donation center so should be willing to deal with it)...but not wanting anything other than new clothes? Fuck them. Self-entitled assclowns.
Fire needs to be put out first.

You are right in that water on burned forest with nothing to absorb can cause problems. Usually landslides.

CCC is out working hard to stop landslides and very heavy runoff.

One step at a time.

As to donated items.

Sadly, many people send in food, feces, ripped, and useless clothes. Some find it a way to clean out their garages and storage units.

Donations does not equate to useful items.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 21 November 2018 at 16:02.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 21 November 2018, 16:17
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is offline
Never to old to learn
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Good news. For the next 12 days Northern California is getting rain every day. It’s raining moderately and steady at the fort I call home.

In my 48 on and off years in CA, I cannot recall a fire season running this late in the year.

After a week, plenty of bulletins, and family searching hi and low, there are still 1,300 people missing.

I hope this ends better than I think it will.
It is down an, Rescuers fear rains will wash away victims’ remains; 870 still missing in California fire


which is still bad
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 21 November 2018, 16:24
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
It is down an, Rescuers fear rains will wash away victims’ remains; 870 still missing in California fire


which is still bad
Chico State has a very good Forensic Anthro. program.
House fires do not destroy big bones usually. For the most part, DNA will still be around. Dental records are useful as well, tattoos, surgically implanted hardware, fingerprints, footprints etc.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 21 November 2018, 19:45
AKAPete AKAPete is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,621
Well the folks staying in the Walmart are starting to wear out their welcome.

Going to be a PR disaster for WalMart even though they have donated $500,000 to relief.

Many have moved to shelters and others have moved on but the hold outs want to stay close so they can get back in as soon as they are allowed (who can blame them).

Problem is the homeless see an opportunity and are moving in. The regulars know who they are and point they are "over there".

Link

Last edited by AKAPete; 21 November 2018 at 19:52.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 21 November 2018, 20:48
Jakers Jakers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
As to donated items.

Sadly, many people send in food, feces, ripped, and useless clothes. Some find it a way to clean out their garages and storage units.

Donations does not equate to useful items.
No, I get that part, and I understand getting exasperated if a lot of what is "donated" is actually junk. But from the sound of the article, at least some people who are giving clean, useable items are still being turned away. Because it isn't new. Not taking some items if they are open/used makes sense (food for instance) but clothes? If it's clean, not shredded and there is a demand...come on.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 21 November 2018, 21:58
Look. Don'tTouch. Look. Don'tTouch. is offline
killjoy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West
Posts: 2,019
So what would happen if you show up with a new jacket, and when they say they'll accept it, you rip the tags off. Will they still take it?
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 21 November 2018, 22:06
SHHINT's Avatar
SHHINT SHHINT is offline
Amaint de Merde
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Chico State has a very good Forensic Anthro. program.
House fires do not destroy big bones usually. For the most part, DNA will still be around. Dental records are useful as well, tattoos, surgically implanted hardware, fingerprints, footprints etc.
I donít know, you should see some of these places. This was an extremely hot fire. I donít think the fears are unfounded.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 21 November 2018, 23:04
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHINT View Post
I don’t know, you should see some of these places. This was an extremely hot fire. I don’t think the fears are unfounded.
We are talking about a few thousand degrees over hours for cremation.

House fires are simply not that hot or length of heat.

Back East, there is minimal insulation in houses and buildings, and building codes are not what they are on the west coast.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 22 November 2018, 00:39
Look. Don'tTouch. Look. Don'tTouch. is offline
killjoy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West
Posts: 2,019
Some of these folks were practically cremated. There was one car with a skeleton in the passenger seat and a pile of ashes in the driver's seat. This is beyond a normal house fire. The winds and total dry fuel combined must have taken the temps to abnormally high levels in comparison to most fires. Metal melted.
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 22 November 2018, 01:08
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Some of these folks were practically cremated. There was one car with a skeleton in the passenger seat and a pile of ashes in the driver's seat. This is beyond a normal house fire. The winds and total dry fuel combined must have taken the temps to abnormally high levels in comparison to most fires. Metal melted.
Huh, thank you. I’ll rewrite our procedures when it comes to thermal burns as it pertains to death.

Perhaps there are statistical outliers.

But, WTF do I know.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 22 November 2018, 15:41
Look. Don'tTouch. Look. Don'tTouch. is offline
killjoy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West
Posts: 2,019
I'm guessing this fire may be a statistical outlier. Could it be? View this video and tell me what you think.
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 22 November 2018, 19:12
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
I'm guessing this fire may be a statistical outlier. Could it be? View this video and tell me what you think.
I owe you an apology. I was an ass.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 23 November 2018, 03:26
Look. Don'tTouch. Look. Don'tTouch. is offline
killjoy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West
Posts: 2,019
Not at all, Expat. I value your experience and knowledge on the subject. My pedestrian observation of this specific event is merely a surface-level glimpse into a deeper subject that goes beyond my lane. As I said before, my guess is that this fire is an exception to the rule. I've spoken to my friends in law enforcement that have dealt with burned bodies and they were surprised by the results here.

As far as DNA recovery, I would hope enough was left to make a positive ID. There have been murder cases where the suspects tried to destroy the victims with fire, only to have a tooth remain with enough pulp inside to produce a sample that confirmed identity. I really hope for the best with recovery on these matters, for any and all friends and family of the lost ones, to provide closure during such a chaotic time of uncertainty.

The rains are washing and moving a lot around. One of the concerns there is the chemicals going into the local water systems. I never burn treated wood in my burn piles because I know it deposits heavy metals into the ground. I can't imagine what kind of an environmental situation may be at hand here.
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 23 November 2018, 03:30
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AK
Posts: 3,316
Got into Oakland earlier and it was dumping rain. Like Dumping, at least where I am. That's got to be a big help.

Thoughts out to those affected by the fire.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 23 November 2018, 04:21
wandering_idiot's Avatar
wandering_idiot wandering_idiot is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BFE
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post

In my 48 on and off years in CA, I cannot recall a fire season running this late in the year.
I remember fires were going as late as through December last year. I'm thinking of going back to forestry next year as a wildland medic due to the constant demand for help.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 23 November 2018, 18:37
Look. Don'tTouch. Look. Don'tTouch. is offline
killjoy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Got into Oakland earlier and it was dumping rain. Like Dumping, at least where I am. That's got to be a big help.

Thoughts out to those affected by the fire.
Yeah, the rain is both good and bad. Helps a lot with containment, but unfortunately for the people in tents it makes life a little harder.
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 27 November 2018, 23:29
smp52 smp52 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,601
MIT Tech Review notes dealing with the fires is going to require multiple pieces to the puzzle.

technologyreview.com/s/612430/california-must-reinvent-its-practices-and-policies-for-a-deadly-new-fire-reality/
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 8 August 2019, 18:35
NYwood914's Avatar
NYwood914 NYwood914 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Westchester, New York
Posts: 448
Out in California visiting a friend in Riviera Heights, there’s been an evacuation order due to a wildfire for Riviera west in Lake County.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018