SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 November 2018, 14:55
Anesthetized User

Good news. For the next 12 days Northern California is getting rain every day. It’s raining moderately and steady at the fort I call home.

In my 48 on and off years in CA, I cannot recall a fire season running this late in the year.

After a week, plenty of bulletins, and family searching hi and low, there are still 1,300 people missing.

I hope this ends better than I think it will.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 21 November 2018, 15:45
Confirmed User

Hopefully it doesn't rain to much- that can lead to other problems after severe forest fires.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...your-old-stuff
This bothers me. A lot. I get not wanting items that aren't going to be used (though there are plenty of places that will take those items and they could be sent there at the end) and I get being overwhelmed with goods (even though they made the choice to set themselves up as a donation center so should be willing to deal with it)...but not wanting anything other than new clothes? Fuck them. Self-entitled assclowns.
Old 21 November 2018, 15:57
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
Hopefully it doesn't rain to much- that can lead to other problems after severe forest fires.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-wor...your-old-stuff
This bothers me. A lot. I get not wanting items that aren't going to be used (though there are plenty of places that will take those items and they could be sent there at the end) and I get being overwhelmed with goods (even though they made the choice to set themselves up as a donation center so should be willing to deal with it)...but not wanting anything other than new clothes? Fuck them. Self-entitled assclowns.
Fire needs to be put out first.

You are right in that water on burned forest with nothing to absorb can cause problems. Usually landslides.

CCC is out working hard to stop landslides and very heavy runoff.

One step at a time.

As to donated items.

Sadly, many people send in food, feces, ripped, and useless clothes. Some find it a way to clean out their garages and storage units.

Donations does not equate to useful items.

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 21 November 2018 at 16:02.
Old 21 November 2018, 16:17
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Good news. For the next 12 days Northern California is getting rain every day. It’s raining moderately and steady at the fort I call home.

In my 48 on and off years in CA, I cannot recall a fire season running this late in the year.

After a week, plenty of bulletins, and family searching hi and low, there are still 1,300 people missing.

I hope this ends better than I think it will.
It is down an, Rescuers fear rains will wash away victims’ remains; 870 still missing in California fire

which is still bad
Old 21 November 2018, 16:24
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
It is down an, Rescuers fear rains will wash away victims’ remains; 870 still missing in California fire

which is still bad
Chico State has a very good Forensic Anthro. program.
House fires do not destroy big bones usually. For the most part, DNA will still be around. Dental records are useful as well, tattoos, surgically implanted hardware, fingerprints, footprints etc.

Old 21 November 2018, 19:45
Been There Done That

Well the folks staying in the Walmart are starting to wear out their welcome.

Going to be a PR disaster for WalMart even though they have donated $500,000 to relief.

Many have moved to shelters and others have moved on but the hold outs want to stay close so they can get back in as soon as they are allowed (who can blame them).

Problem is the homeless see an opportunity and are moving in. The regulars know who they are and point they are "over there".

Link

Last edited by AKAPete; 21 November 2018 at 19:52.
Old 21 November 2018, 20:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
As to donated items.

Sadly, many people send in food, feces, ripped, and useless clothes. Some find it a way to clean out their garages and storage units.

Donations does not equate to useful items.
No, I get that part, and I understand getting exasperated if a lot of what is "donated" is actually junk. But from the sound of the article, at least some people who are giving clean, useable items are still being turned away. Because it isn't new. Not taking some items if they are open/used makes sense (food for instance) but clothes? If it's clean, not shredded and there is a demand...come on.
Old 21 November 2018, 21:58
killjoy

So what would happen if you show up with a new jacket, and when they say they'll accept it, you rip the tags off. Will they still take it?
Old 21 November 2018, 22:06
Amaint de Merde

Quote:
Chico State has a very good Forensic Anthro. program.
House fires do not destroy big bones usually. For the most part, DNA will still be around. Dental records are useful as well, tattoos, surgically implanted hardware, fingerprints, footprints etc.
I donít know, you should see some of these places. This was an extremely hot fire. I donít think the fears are unfounded.
Old 21 November 2018, 23:04
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHINT View Post
I don’t know, you should see some of these places. This was an extremely hot fire. I don’t think the fears are unfounded.
We are talking about a few thousand degrees over hours for cremation.

House fires are simply not that hot or length of heat.

Back East, there is minimal insulation in houses and buildings, and building codes are not what they are on the west coast.

Old 22 November 2018, 00:39
killjoy

Some of these folks were practically cremated. There was one car with a skeleton in the passenger seat and a pile of ashes in the driver's seat. This is beyond a normal house fire. The winds and total dry fuel combined must have taken the temps to abnormally high levels in comparison to most fires. Metal melted.
Old 22 November 2018, 01:08
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Some of these folks were practically cremated. There was one car with a skeleton in the passenger seat and a pile of ashes in the driver's seat. This is beyond a normal house fire. The winds and total dry fuel combined must have taken the temps to abnormally high levels in comparison to most fires. Metal melted.
Huh, thank you. I’ll rewrite our procedures when it comes to thermal burns as it pertains to death.

Perhaps there are statistical outliers.

But, WTF do I know.

Old 22 November 2018, 15:41
killjoy

I'm guessing this fire may be a statistical outlier. Could it be? View this video and tell me what you think.
Old 22 November 2018, 19:12
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
I'm guessing this fire may be a statistical outlier. Could it be? View this video and tell me what you think.
I owe you an apology. I was an ass.

Old 23 November 2018, 03:26
killjoy

Not at all, Expat. I value your experience and knowledge on the subject. My pedestrian observation of this specific event is merely a surface-level glimpse into a deeper subject that goes beyond my lane. As I said before, my guess is that this fire is an exception to the rule. I've spoken to my friends in law enforcement that have dealt with burned bodies and they were surprised by the results here.

As far as DNA recovery, I would hope enough was left to make a positive ID. There have been murder cases where the suspects tried to destroy the victims with fire, only to have a tooth remain with enough pulp inside to produce a sample that confirmed identity. I really hope for the best with recovery on these matters, for any and all friends and family of the lost ones, to provide closure during such a chaotic time of uncertainty.

The rains are washing and moving a lot around. One of the concerns there is the chemicals going into the local water systems. I never burn treated wood in my burn piles because I know it deposits heavy metals into the ground. I can't imagine what kind of an environmental situation may be at hand here.
Old 23 November 2018, 03:30
Red Headed Stepchild

Got into Oakland earlier and it was dumping rain. Like Dumping, at least where I am. That's got to be a big help.

Thoughts out to those affected by the fire.
Old 23 November 2018, 04:21
Confirmed User

Quote:

I remember fires were going as late as through December last year. I'm thinking of going back to forestry next year as a wildland medic due to the constant demand for help.
Old 23 November 2018, 18:37
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Got into Oakland earlier and it was dumping rain. Like Dumping, at least where I am. That's got to be a big help.

Thoughts out to those affected by the fire.
Yeah, the rain is both good and bad. Helps a lot with containment, but unfortunately for the people in tents it makes life a little harder.
Old 27 November 2018, 23:29
Confirmed User

MIT Tech Review notes dealing with the fires is going to require multiple pieces to the puzzle.

technologyreview.com/s/612430/california-must-reinvent-its-practices-and-policies-for-a-deadly-new-fire-reality/
Old 8 August 2019, 18:35
Confirmed User

Out in California visiting a friend in Riviera Heights, there’s been an evacuation order due to a wildfire for Riviera west in Lake County.

Our new posting rules