SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 7 May 2019, 22:53
Confirmed User

Police Week RFI

Looking for some general do's and don'ts about the week as well as some specific questions.

Is the conference portion worth attending?

Uber vs metro?

Good running trails where I don't get stopped every block at a light/heavy traffic, 15-20 mile distance?

We may have a full free day, any destination day trip out of D.C. viable, most likely on a train?

Planning on the Smithsonian and military memorials, possibly DC United match.

Thanks
Old 8 May 2019, 09:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34RX View Post
Uber vs metro?
Metro goes pretty much anywhere you want to go.
Quote:
Good running trails where I don't get stopped every block at a light/heavy traffic, 15-20 mile distance?
The only real place close into DC that meets this requirement is the C&O canal path. It follows the Potomac north out of Georgetown. Nice run/walk if the weather isn't too hot/humid. Another nice place to run is the round trip from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial. It's only about 5 miles, and you cross over a few streets, but the view of the monuments is pretty good.
Quote:
We may have a full free day, any destination day trip out of D.C. viable, most likely on a train?
I highly recommend Gettysburg, but I don't believe you can get there by train.
Quote:
Planning on the Smithsonian and military memorials, possibly DC United match.
The Holocaust Museum is a must see if you've never been there. If you ID yourself to one of the guards as LE, they can give you passes to the museum that aren't timestamped like the regular passes so you can get in anytime.
Old 8 May 2019, 09:45
Unemployed Stunt Double

I always stay in Crystal City, and run the Mount Vernon Trail, which is a very nice run. There are a couple of Metro stops in Crystal City. Honestly, if you like Uber or cabs, fine, but the Metro gets me everywhere I need to go in DC or Arlandria.
Old 8 May 2019, 09:48
Russian Tycoon

For a day trip, you could visit Mount Vernon Estate, home of George Washington. Catch the Yellow Line to Huntington and Uber from there, it should cost about $10-12. The visit to Mount Vernon will likely take 2-3 hours... and then you could take a water taxi to Old Town Alexandria and have a nice dinner on King Street. These new water taxis are very nice, just make sure you check the schedule.
Old 8 May 2019, 10:28
Authorized Personnel

Just echoing what everyone else is saying: metro can get you where you want to go.

I'm not sure when that conference is planned, but if you have a decent time buffer, contact your representative to get tickets to the major places, like a White House or Pentagon tour. They usually tier them so you can knock things out one after another, or just choose to attend one. The benefit is that it locks you in during a time so you just show up, go through security, and profit.

There's a crap-ton to do in DC. I've lived here for 25 years and haven't seen it all. The Smithsonian alone can eat up all of you free time.
Old 8 May 2019, 11:45
The Copenhagen Kid

I used to run Teddy Roosevelt Island at least three times a week when I lived in Aurora Highlands. Trust me, no traffic there at all. Stop by and say hi to the Teddy statue while you're there.

I shall finish the game.

Always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends.
Old 8 May 2019, 13:16
FIDO

I was there for it a few years ago. Staying in Crystal City is great. Easy access from the train. They do over book the hotels. We had 3 dudes and a room with one king bed. Hotel management didnít care that we had booked a different room. The train is easy and they let you ride free with your badge.

Talk to the Capitol PD and Secret Service. We got some cool tours of the Capitol building. Have a picture somewhere of me sitting at the speaker of the houses desk...

The candle light vigil is very cool to see.
Old 8 May 2019, 15:16
Confirmed User

Not sure how possible it is by train, but the National Cryptologic Museum is very cool. It's a stones throw from NSA. Very interesting museum on the history of the NSA and cryptology. My dad and I did it on our own, but they have free tours that IIRC are led by former NSA employees that seem to be very well done. We listened to one for a few minutes when we were there.

My dad and I rented a car for the day last time we were in DC, so we hit the museum above and did a tour of the Naval Academy, as well.

The Naval Academy tour is very interesting, as well. And compared to the tour of West Point I did a couple years ago, it is very lax as far as security. At West Point, it was a bus tour with a few stops. At the USNA it was a walking tour that started at the visitors center and ended at the Naval Academy Museum.

Annapolis is a pretty place, too. My dad and I walked around downtown Annapolis after the USNA tour.

Second the Holocaust Museum. Very worthwhile experience.
Old 8 May 2019, 21:01
Confirmed User

SOCNET provides. Thank you all for your input, just what I was looking for.
Old 9 May 2019, 00:15
Confirmed User

Make sure you hit Tent City.

It takes place May 13th, 14th, and 15th at RFK Stadium - Lot 8.

About a 10 min or less walk from the RFK Metro Station.

Booze, food, music, vendors, etc.

Good times.
Old 9 May 2019, 01:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMP View Post
Make sure you hit Tent City.

It takes place May 13th, 14th, and 15th at RFK Stadium - Lot 8.

About a 10 min or less walk from the RFK Metro Station.

Booze, food, music, vendors, etc.

Good times.
I've seen the listing for that. I'm on the home stretch in training for a race that's going to really test me, but I think I'll have to indulge a bit. We only go around once.
Old 9 May 2019, 10:28
Policeman Officer

If you had any thoughts of visiting the spy museum I'd skip it. I went in to kill time and I should have just stared at the sun instead.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 9 May 2019, 11:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
I've seen the listing for that. I'm on the home stretch in training for a race that's going to really test me, but I think I'll have to indulge a bit. We only go around once.
I haven't been there since they moved to RFK.

They use to have it 3-4 blocks from the memorial but I am suspecting its the same debauchery going on. LoL.

Even if you aren't drinking, its a very entertaining place.
Old 9 May 2019, 14:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
If you had any thoughts of visiting the spy museum I'd skip it. I went in to kill time and I should have just stared at the sun instead.
It closed, moved, got bigger, and re-opens this weekend.

The old version I assessed as being fun for kids, for adults, it is okay.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 10 May 2019, 08:24
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post

The old version I assessed as being fun for kids, for adults, it is okay.

-Stan
completely agree...

was a cool stop for our then 11 year old when we visited.. she enjoyed it..

sorta "meh" for the wife and I.. not horrible.. but nothing I'd ever care to do again..
Old 13 May 2019, 13:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Original location or the new museum?

ETA: NVM new one isn't open yet
Old 14 May 2019, 00:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
Original location or the new museum?

ETA: NVM new one isn't open yet
I believe it just reopened this week but I havenít spoken with anyone who has gone as of yet.
Old 15 May 2019, 06:00
Scoundrel

It has a whole display about how great Jim Gant is.

ďIt's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.Ē -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 6 July 2019, 00:07
Confirmed User

I hadnít been to DC in 18 years and it was better than I remembered, which says a lot as I am not a fan of big cities.

We used some conference provided transportation and Uber (just being lazy). I would skip the conference, nothing specifically negative, I just wasnít in need of what they provide. My wife would probably say otherwise as she got some out of it.

We may go back next year for another friend but I would also maybe skip the Capital event, or at least not use the conference for it. By the time they get to Washington in the order, it feels like a graduation ceremony that many are trying to leave, and many already had vacated their seats.

On the other hand, the vigil is definitely worth it and would be a priority.

Tent city was not worth the time. Itís an underwhelming beer garden setup in the shadow of a dying stadium. Iím just not the target demographic.

Running was unexpectedly great. Ran over the Woodrow Wilson bridge and didnít get stopped by too many arterials doing it.

Day tripped to Mount Vernon for my wife.

The big surprise of the trip was the Pentagon. You guys were holding back! That place is a world class museum. I had this vision of Dan Aykroyd wasting away in the basement (Spies Like Us).

Overall a great trip but horrible reason to visit. All the people we interacted with, both associated and not associated with the event, were very welcoming.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 6 July 2019, 09:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
The big surprise of the trip was the Pentagon. You guys were holding back! That place is a world class museum. I had this vision of Dan Aykroyd wasting away in the basement (Spies Like Us).
What was the Pentagon tour like? I know they don't allow pics.

I wanted to do one last time I was in DC, but my dad wasn't into it.

Our new posting rules