SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 June 2019, 07:56
Another pool cleaner

You should see my yard after the winter thaw with 2 medium sized dogs.

Fucking poopsicles.

I want a rottie that shits like a chihuahua.
Old 11 June 2019, 07:59
Shakin' the bush Boss

I periodically hit a doggie mine with my weedeater, which is quite fun. It's sort of like a dogshit claymore.
Old 11 June 2019, 08:08
Authorized Personnel

Great book for choosing a purebred... has a graph chart on each breed - sociability with family, friends, strangers, guard dog and watch dog, good with kids, etc., I highly recommend it:

Daniel F. Tortora
Right Dog For You

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 11 June 2019, 08:10
Been There Done That

I have never seen Hank’s shit. Never had to Pick up his shit. He always goes off and shits in the thick brush, hidden, on the far back of my property. Even when we go to the park, he will pull the leash and insist on going off the trail into the woods/brush and pick a discreet spot.

Today though he woke up and can’t walk on his left leg again. Thought was healed up as have been walking/ running hard/pay ball hard the last 5 months. He must of somehow hurt it, torqued it last night when were throwing the ball. : (. There goes my walking partner. Know he is hurting as he has not got out of bed and had to bring his food and water to him.

We have to remember, as attached as we are, that they are still dogs.

Friend of mine devastated last year he had to put down his 7.5 year old Doberman for cancer. He has a 1 year old GSD now.

I know boxers going to live 9-11 years on average. Paying thousands of dollars to prolong the life 1-2 years dies not make sense. It is what it is. Enjoy the dog, benefit from each other, give him a good home, use him. When he is gone, he is gone - hard as it is - then move on to another Dog. The dog lived a good life. Put the Dog is a Dog, not a child/spouse/parent etc.
Old 11 June 2019, 08:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
do the cost/risk analysis.
Insurance is a negative ROI. Manage risk through activity and good breeding instead. Before I send my dog into the water I check the area first. I don't let him jump from anything high i.e. exiting the vehicle. He get's picked up, all 125lbs of him.

If a dog that is reaching it's end of life gets cancer then it's probably time to put them down instead of investing 10's of thousands of dollars to gain a year or two of life.
Old 11 June 2019, 08:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
Great book for choosing a purebred... has a graph chart on each breed - sociability with family, friends, strangers, guard dog and watch dog, good with kids, etc., I highly recommend it:

Daniel F. Tortora
Right Dog For You
Even a high drive, aggressive breed can be trained to be social. My CBR plays with dogs of all sizes. He ignores everything when working. Training started the day he came home and happens daily.

Socialization is the key. He has traveled with us from day one and we expose him to as much as possible. God forbid that a dog nips him though. Dogs can bark at him all they want but the second he feels teeth he grabs the other dog by the back of the neck until I call him off.
Old 11 June 2019, 10:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Even a high drive, aggressive breed can be trained to be social. My CBR plays with dogs of all sizes. He ignores everything when working. Training started the day he came home and happens daily.

Socialization is the key. He has traveled with us from day one and we expose him to as much as possible. God forbid that a dog nips him though. Dogs can bark at him all they want but the second he feels teeth he grabs the other dog by the back of the neck until I call him off.
Completely agree. However, the doctor does a very good job describing each breed and their overall characteristic traits. He even breaks it down to indoor versus outdoor vigor or energy level, overall intelligence... etc. Again, it’s very helpful and provides a complete picture of each breed.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 11 June 2019, 10:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Insurance is a negative ROI. Manage risk through activity and good breeding instead.
Yeah...I think you severely overestimate your ability to mitigate risk for your dog. There's a myriad of things that can happen to your dog which you cannot control.

When my dog bloated in CA, while I was at work on the shooting range, and I had to make a $7k investment to save him on the spot, at 5 years old, I felt fortunate that I was in a position of making good money.

Since then I've had insurance. Had I held insurance for him since the day he was born, according to my calculations at the time, I would have saved close to $200. Notwithstanding having to drop $7k on the spot for an emergency surgery.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 11 June 2019, 10:59
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Yeah...I think you severely overestimate your ability to mitigate risk for your dog. There's a myriad of things that can happen to your dog which you cannot control.

When my dog bloated in CA, while I was at work on the shooting range, and I had to make a $7k investment to save him on the spot, at 5 years old, I felt fortunate that I was in a position of making good money.

Since then I've had insurance. Had I held insurance for him since the day he was born, according to my calculations at the time, I would have saved close to $200. Notwithstanding having to drop $7k on the spot for an emergency surgery.
Yeah - it's a judgement call based on financial status. I would say the best solution, if you want to balance both sides, would be to get a Credit Card with a decent limit ($5K, $10K?) and never use it unless you have major pet stuff happen...just stick it in the safe.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 11 June 2019, 10:59
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Start raw-feeding your dog.

I feed Axel close to 3lbs of raw a day. He's around 80 lbs now. Lean, perfect coat, great teeth, and shits about a third of the size they were when I had him on Orijen.

A friend of mine who breeds working Rotties convinced me after I saw what her dogs looked like compared to the average Rottie out there. Then I helped watch her kennel for a weekend and couldn't believe how a 90lbs male eating 2.5 pounds of raw a day could leave cat turds. Easiest cleanup in the world.

Old 11 June 2019, 13:06
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=MixedLoad;1058799208] There's a myriad of things that can happen to your dog which you cannot control. /QUOTE]

Absolutely, there are always unforeseen circumstances. The actuary is playing the odds and just like workers comp or any other type of insurance, safe practices reduce risk.
Old 11 June 2019, 13:19
Administrator

Quote:
Start raw-feeding your dog.

I feed Axel close to 3lbs of raw a day. He's around 80 lbs now. Lean, perfect coat, great teeth, and shits about a third of the size they were when I had him on Orijen.

A friend of mine who breeds working Rotties convinced me after I saw what her dogs looked like compared to the average Rottie out there. Then I helped watch her kennel for a weekend and couldn't believe how a 90lbs male eating 2.5 pounds of raw a day could leave cat turds. Easiest cleanup in the world.

Yep. My 2 labs have been on raw diet for 3 years now. Great decision. Their weight is perfect, coats are great, less shedding, and best of all the amount of dog shit in the yard is about 25% of what it used to be. And what there is turns white and basically melts away in the first rain that comes through so I haven't picked up dogshit now in 3 years plus.

Insurance: I saw a flyer for pet insurance at the vets office . I laughed and made fun. 10 minutes later I got handed a bill for $450 so I went back over and grabbed a flyer. Two months later, turns out one of my labs has a congenital stomach issue that required his stomach to be surgically attached to his ribcage or his stomach could basically flip over upside down and kill him. This is a 9 month old puppy that is otherwise fine. He's not getting put down, so thank God I got that insurance because that made it a non-issue. He got the surgery and he is fine. Pet insurance has saved me thousands of dollars.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 11 June 2019, 13:46
Policeman Officer

Recommendations on pet insurance?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 11 June 2019, 14:13
Been There Done That

The petinsurance that's best for you honestly depends on how old your dog is, what kind of preexisting conditions are covered, etc.

It's confusing as shit to me. We settled on Nationwide for the Beast and so far they've covered everything that one would expect. I think our cost is right at $70/month.

Old 11 June 2019, 15:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
The petinsurance that's best for you honestly depends on how old your dog is, what kind of preexisting conditions are covered, etc.

It's confusing as shit to me. We settled on Nationwide for the Beast and so far they've covered everything that one would expect. I think our cost is right at $70/month.
My dog has multiple myeloma. I didn't get pet insurance. I wish I did. It probably wouldn't have helped much for the meds, but it would have helped with the big hit I took paying for all of the diagnostic studies & biopsies when he first got sick.

BTW -He is on chemo & prednisone. His meds cost me around $120.00 per month. He's been on them for over a year. He hasn't any noticeable discomfort since a few hours after his first dose.

My aunt was diagnosed with the same disease. Her meds cost $10,000 for a two week supply. She passed away within 3 weeks of her initial treatment.
Old 11 June 2019, 15:23
Another pool cleaner

We have 2 dogs: one is 11 y.o., the other is 3 y.o.

We have VPI (bought by Nationwide) for the older one due to his pancreatitis history.

Pet insurance is similar to human insurance, with different types of restrictions and limits.

I believe we had to enroll ours before age of 7 y.o. Ours is about $30 -40/month for major medical.
Old 11 June 2019, 15:52
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:

Is it based on the weight of the dog? I'm sorting through the providers right now.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 June 2019, 22:05
Administrator

We had VPI which as stated above became part of Nationwide. So far we haven't had anything kicked back at all. They pay up.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 June 2019, 03:08
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
You should see my yard after the winter thaw with 2 medium sized dogs.

Fucking poopsicles.

Some dogs eat their own crap. Too bad we can't train them to eat their own crap.
Old 12 June 2019, 09:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Looking to get a dog that will be great as a security dog and will also be part of the family. I grew up with two German shepherds and love them. But I am curious if anyone has had a malinois and could share their thoughts in this scenario - good choice? Bad choice?
In a previous discussion on this site, someone mentioned that they owned a Shiloh Shepherd. If you like herding breeds and are familiar with GSD's, the Shiloh might be of interest to you. My wife met one at the Vet's office last week and loved it. I grew up with Collies, and have owned Polish Lowland Sheepdogs for over twenty years. A Shiloh is on my short list for consideration when I finally retire next year and have more time at home.

Our new posting rules