SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 June 2019, 10:36
I reckon so. . .

Legal ins/outs of car cam discussion

I’ve ran a Car Cam(era) for years. After recently installing same in a new vehicle, the thought crossed my mind about legalities.

Of course, it’s legal to own/run/have. But . . . .
1. Who if anyone is entitled to the footage?
2. What do you say to a cop that might ask, say post-accident?
3. Is the footage a legal defense for a he said/she said accident?
4. About a hundred things I haven’t thought of, LOL.

We have another thread that deals with this in a tech sense: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124634

So, the legal ins and outs of car cams.
Discuss.
Old 17 June 2019, 10:41
Been There Done That

Video is solid gold....
Old 17 June 2019, 10:44
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Video is solid gold....
This.

Most of the “he said,she said” shit could be answered pretty definitively with video.

Regarding the legality: I am unaware of any jurisdiction where they are illegal.

Regarding police asking for it: if you don’t want to give it up, they can get a warrant. If it’s a pissant fender bender.... probably not getting a warrant. Serious bodily injury or death..... most definitely.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 17 June 2019, 10:48
Been There Done That

It depends on state law. Generally speaking filming in public is ok as there is no right to privacy in public. Do not film federal installations or in peoples homes and you should be good to go. I highly recommend that you research the laws of your state.
Old 17 June 2019, 11:41
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

IIRC there's more than a few vid's on Youtube of cops trying to tell people to turn off vehicle mounted camera systems?

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 17 June 2019, 12:34
Clorox bearer for SOTB

I never told anyone to turn off a camera. I didn't mind at all being recorded, as long as you stay out of my way, do what you are told, and don't shove the fucking thing in my face, all is fine. But, I never did anything I would not want recorded either. Matter of fact, I wish I had some recordings of the more "colorful" arrests I made. It'd be fun taking trips back memory lane and be able to slow motion some of the more physical things. I used force when it was justified, so, never had a worry about complaints or whatever. I knew the job, and was never afraid to do it.
If you are LE and have a problem with recordings... find another job. This is the information age, and if you are not comfortable being recorded... you might have a feeling you are doing or about to do some questionable shit. Don't do questionable shit. It's all part of knowing the laws, knowing justification, and use of force.
Cameras work both ways... Keep that in mind with car cams. Don't do shit you wouldn't want an audience full of cops seeing, and you'll be good.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 17 June 2019, 12:43
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

There was a time not long ago when the perpetually aggrieved demanded that cops have body cams to record the alleged police abuse that they insisted was ubiquitous. What those body cams have instead produced is a wealth of evidence that the well dressed and well behaved people who show up in court were abundantly guilty of being incorrigible asshats at the time of their arrest, and that assertions of abusive police are in most cases exaggerated or completely fabricated. The very people who were the loudest about the need for body cams are the ones who have been most consistently screwed over by the footage from those cameras. I detest abusive cops, but I'm glad that decent cops are now less likely to have their reputations destroyed. Therefore, the more unedited audio and video there is of any police interaction, the better.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 17 June 2019, 12:46
0311/8651

Remember the audio portion of a conversation could be illegal-in some states in regards to police or just regular people
Some states are one person or two person states- that is obtaining permission.

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 17 June 2019 at 12:48. Reason: M
Old 17 June 2019, 14:50
Confirmed User

I love cameras it makes my client's BS so much easier to call. It also makes the police BS so much easier to call. Personally I hate eye witnesses both the science and my personal experience tell me they are either biased (intentionally or unintentionally) or can't remember what actually happened. Turns out that human memories are malleable and things that happen after the fact can have enormous effects on memory.

However with a car camera you have to assume that someone hostile to you will be watching it at some point. So it could be the cops or it could be the attorney on the other side after your accident...

Any video would be discoverable in any civil law suit, subject to a search warrant in a criminal case and depending on the state possibly not even require a search warrant with the right circumstances. So if you smoke in the car with the kids your ex will be showing that video to the judge. If you are texting or talking on the phone while driving the other side will be using that in court too...
Old 17 June 2019, 14:58
BTDT

These things are popular as hell. Everybody in Russia seems to use them (remember the meteor strike?) - so they are probably illegal here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=car+dash+...f=nb_sb_noss_1
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 17 June 2019, 14:59
Doing What Grunts Do

Always keep them forward facing....
Old 17 June 2019, 15:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
and not showing your HUD or speedometer.
Old 17 June 2019, 16:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
I’ve ran a Car Cam(era) for years. After recently installing same in a new vehicle, the thought crossed my mind about legalities.

Of course, it’s legal to own/run/have. But . . . .
1. Who if anyone is entitled to the footage?
2. What do you say to a cop that might ask, say post-accident?
3. Is the footage a legal defense for a he said/she said accident?
4. About a hundred things I haven’t thought of, LOL.

We have another thread that deals with this in a tech sense: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=124634

So, the legal ins and outs of car cams.
Discuss.
It's a good thing to have especially in this county! And as always, if you need anything just give me a shout.
Old 17 June 2019, 17:03
BTDT

There was also a CCW Uber Driver cleared by the DA because he had a cam going. Video is on Active Self Protection's YT Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WYmbVhSb0c
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 17 June 2019, 17:07
Policeman Officer

Cameras are nothing but good for honest people.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 17 June 2019, 19:39
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPD167 View Post
It's a good thing to have especially in this county! And as always, if you need anything just give me a shout.
This can't be the only County in GA that *it's a good thing*. .hahaa!

I'll give you an off topic shout-out for the quick response about those 4:30 a.m. speeders on this very dangerous bit of highway. Patrolman was on scene within 1 shift, and sticking for several days afterward. I appreciate it. Those logging trucks have killed a few friends/family over the years.

And back to the topic at hand.

Why is it a good thing here in our fair county? or Why do you see it as a good thing? Have you experienced where it's helped a situation out?
Old 17 June 2019, 19:40
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
#Sage
Old 18 June 2019, 07:43
Sub Rosa

I won't have an active continuous camera recording. Even honest folks make mistakes and I think its a bad idea for liability purposes to video record your mistakes. Also, as mentioned, be cognizant of your state's laws on audio recording as this potentially can open you to civil liability for recording conversations without getting consent of parties.
Old 18 June 2019, 09:37
BT,WBTWC

I drove through the main gate of Fort Campbell a few months ago and the MP asked " that a video recorder?" and I said "Yes." He said "Sir, you'll have to unplug it on post, video recording on post is prohibited without clearance from HQ."

Since I had somewhere to go, I unplugged it, drove about my business, and plugged it in as I left post. Never has the issue come up before or since.

Perhaps one wild card on gate duty.
Old 18 June 2019, 12:42
Doing What Grunts Do

We always use to say that one's rights ended at the gates....

Our new posting rules