SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 14 July 2010, 21:43
Been There Done That

Don't worry about it. When I was in college, I was pretty much forced to attend PLDC in the middle of the fall semester (I should have told them to fuck off). So I went, and everyone was understanding except one dope smoking hippie English professor. So after he gave me an F and I got put on academic suspension, I wrote a letter to the Dean appealing, and illustrating my service record (although I didn't have much of one then) and then they let me off the hook.

Shit, students complain to the Dean all the time about shitty grades and get them reversed. No reason why you can't. Just go complain to the right people.

On another note...WTF is wrong with you that it takes you 17 minutes to take a crap??!!
Old 14 July 2010, 21:50
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
That is, give them what they want, not so much what you think they want, or what you yourself want. Basically, just regurgitate back to them everything they've fed you, in a slightly different form.

Generally, if you do that, they'll consider you a brilliant and thoughtful student. Just try to keep your eye rolling to a minimum as you do it. Don't want to give yourself away.
And that is college in a nutshell. All you'd have to do is add the part about giving the Prof what they want so that you can get what you want (good grades). So that you can get the good job, where you will play the same game with a boss.

Miguel, rough but spot on.
Old 14 July 2010, 21:53
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Don't worry about it. When I was in college, I was pretty much forced to attend PLDC in the middle of the fall semester (I should have told them to fuck off). So I went, and everyone was understanding except one dope smoking hippie English professor. So after he gave me an F and I got put on academic suspension, I wrote a letter to the Dean appealing, and illustrating my service record (although I didn't have much of one then) and then they let me off the hook.

Shit, students complain to the Dean all the time about shitty grades and get them reversed. No reason why you can't. Just go complain to the right people.

On another note...WTF is wrong with you that it takes you 17 minutes to take a crap??!!

Excellent points.

Adaptation is the key to survival, learn to shit quicker.

Kind of like this morning, I'm getting ready to go meet some dudes for a run....walking out the door and it hits me... oh shit. Then.. do I have time? oh shit... oh shit... oh shit, damn I've got to shit.

Knocked it out and made it to the RV with 5 mins to spare - classical example of adaptation in a fluid environment that got 2 competing missions completed within the defined criteria of success for both.

The real failure was last night, I knew the 0630 was a potential point of weakness but I did nothing to change the outcome so was forced to make adjustments on the fly. I got lucky this time.

If you complain to the dean and he agrees, you'll be lucky this time too.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 14 July 2010, 22:02
Confirmed User

Do what TPT 113 suggested in his post. You will need to file an appeal to the instructor's decision using the appropriate published appellate process for your school. Ask WWP and other similar orgs for assistance in filing your appeal and educating the college about the medical condition.

I know you don't receive disability pay at the moment, but if you have a formal diagnosis of PTSD, it would help in the appeal since it will trigger the American w/ Disabilities Act (ADA) which requires reasonable accomodation. Accomodation can include granting excused absences for medical conditions, giving more time to submit assignments etc. and can often give the school an easy way to grant your appeal.
Old 14 July 2010, 22:06
Rock Star

Yea, I can see where a lot of what I've done was wrong. It was ignorance. The school VA office has been very helpful. The class is probably a no-go, but they have wiped my drop record and gotten me registered with the ADA office (something I didn't know about) I also had to to get paperwork from the VA, so I set up a couple of appointments while I was there. Then I hit the gym.

I don't like it. I think she's a bitch and I think she's wrong. She ran her class VERY informaly but as soon as it benefits HER case, she brings out all this "other" stuff. Regardless, I'll get past this and on to my journalism classes.
Old 14 July 2010, 22:12
Confirmed User

If you're already on the record as having a mental illness (or any disability) and you anticipate that it could possibly result in a similar situation in the future I'd get on the phone with these folks and schedule an appointment:

http://northwest.hccs.edu/northwest/...pport-services

They may be able to plead your case or intervene in some way in the on-going situation. Even if they can't they may be able to make school life a little more accommodating from here forward for a dude in your position.

I don't know how useful disability support services are at HCC but I've seen Rutgers DSS bend over backwards to help a student succeed when he or she REALLY wanted to and was REALLY willing to do the work but was getting waylaid by an illness or condition they suffered through no fault of their own.
Old 14 July 2010, 22:18
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink
Miguel, rough but spot on.
Agree.

RLTW
EP
Old 14 July 2010, 23:15
Confirmed User

Besides addressing the current situation via the administrative channels via the dean, have you looked into online Universities and Colleges that allow you to work at a different pace? Community colleges can be very fickle in how they administer their programs.

Sometimes, alternative programs will allow you to work at a different pace that also suits whatever end-goals you have in mind. Lots of community colleges have online classes as well for gen-ed type stuff.

Check out the following programs, in effect, they are flat fee programs without time limits for some classes, that are relatively new, but also seem to indicate how future education may roll anyway. I haven't scrolled through to see if they address your major or program, however you're only in the beginning phases, so you can always complete gen-eds and see if you can engineer a transfer as well. Plenty of ways to skin a cat, especially eduction.

http://www.straighterline.com/

http://www.wgu.edu/

If CLEPs are an option, the you should investigate those as well. Lots of times Gen Ed teachers are a pain because it's incumbent on them to filter the first level students to the next step and will treat students like children as in many cases, they are.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...lep/about.html

Last edited by smp52; 14 July 2010 at 23:17.
Old 14 July 2010, 23:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRecon View Post
Yea, I can see where a lot of what I've done was wrong. It was ignorance. The school VA office has been very helpful. The class is probably a no-go, but they have wiped my drop record and gotten me registered with the ADA office (something I didn't know about) I also had to to get paperwork from the VA, so I set up a couple of appointments while I was there. Then I hit the gym.

I don't like it. I think she's a bitch and I think she's wrong. She ran her class VERY informaly but as soon as it benefits HER case, she brings out all this "other" stuff. Regardless, I'll get past this and on to my journalism classes.
Right on.
Old 14 July 2010, 23:42
Scoundrel

I had to take an entire semester off from grad school because I was getting back from deployment two weeks into the fall semester and would be missing 4 classes (2 each for two courses). I was ripshit. I appealed to everyone and their brother. The school's policy was you could only miss two classes per semester before you were dropped, so there it was. I sat out the semester and still finished the program in under two years (with two deployments in there). Toward the end of my program, a teacher who thought I was 'not putting forth enough effort' arranged a meeting to discuss my 'lack of effort' with the Dean. He heard her side of the story, I told mine (working full time, maintaining a good GPA and a couple of forced absences in there). To my surprise, the Dean (a European of some sort) essentially told her to fuck off. I wish I had found him during my earlier episode.

Fuck em. Adapt and overcome. Don't give her the satisfaction.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 14 July 2010, 23:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Well, Miguel, first off- you can go fuck yourself. I'm not trying to make anyone "adapt" to me. I don't get disability and I don't want it. My point was that I onl had TWO abscences that should have been counted against me.

However, from what I've gathered, I'm being out of line. Very well. I'll take the criticism in stride and adapt my behavior accordingly.
RR, Miguel gave you some good advice. I got screwed by my college when I got out and was using the GI Bill. In the end though, I realized it was myself who didn't meet the standard laid out in the rules and regs of the school, in spite of what I thought was right. In the end, I figured out that it is exactly what was said here. Listen to what the Profs say, form your own opinions, but regurgitate what they want to hear and follow the rules of the school.

You say you only missed two more than what was allowed. Yeah, I agree that it probably shouldn't have been a big deal, but the bottom line is you missed two more that what was allowed and it screwed you. Hopefully an appeal to the dean with square it away. Is the teacher being a jerk? Maybe she is, but regardless of the circumstances you gave her the opportunity to be the jerk. Let me ask you, in the military, what would have happened if some private didn't do what was required of him/her in the regs?

As for having to take classes that are really unnecessary, well it's the way the system is set up. Many schools do wasteful stuff such as that. Remember, school sucks and more often than not, you're just checking the boxes on the way to your diploma, which is another check in the box.

As for the PTSD and other issues, well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure many in here can speak from experience on these type of issues and their troubles with them. The thing to remember is that the world and the people in it are not going to adapt to you. In order to succeed you'll need to adapt to them and that isn't easy, but no one said it would be. Sometimes that sucks, but it is the way it is. If you don't I can pretty much guarantee you'll play this scenario out over and over again for many years to come. That, or you'll find something else that is more conducive to your views and actions. I'm not bashing you and I don't think Miguel was.

I am speaking to you from having been down a similar road. For the most part the world doesn't care about you, or what you want. So it's up to you to make it work however you want within the system that is laid out by others. I'm sure you've done some pretty incredible things in your time. School is cake. Just get in there, fly under the radar, and treat it like your job, where they enforce the rules and don't take excuses for you screw-ups, no matter how small they seem.

Good luck dude!

Last edited by OfficeSloth; 14 July 2010 at 23:54.
Old 15 July 2010, 00:02
Confirmed User

Ricky, if you're talking about HCC VA in Houston, they used to be a good one, located in the downtown campus...donno now. Maintain low tones, do not show profile, and ride 'em gently. Most are BTDT, and know the book. Capitalize, and adapt accordingly.
Old 15 July 2010, 00:13
Rock Star

Boats- they have been exceptional. That is the very office getting me squared away.

As for the other stuff, well, Hell; I post things on this board because I KNOW I will get honest feedback. I'm a Warrior. I can take an ass chewing. I can also tighten up my shot group, which will be A LOT easier now that I have a few more resources.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Boats- they have been exceptional. That is the very office getting me squared away.

As for the other stuff, well, Hell; I post things on this board because I KNOW I will get honest feedback. I'm a Warrior. I can take an ass chewing. I can also tighten up my shot group, which will be A LOT easier now that I have a few more resources.
-Zactly...same reasons we keep coming back to this site!
Old 15 July 2010, 08:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Nguyen
Succeeding in college coursework is about commitment and responsibility just as much, if not more, than it is about how well you read, write, speak, and think.
That sentence should make sense if the phrase between the commas is removed. It don't. Let her know she sucks.

Where did I learn this? Developmental English.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:52
BTDT

Quote:
Fucking A! Fantastic attitude. Go get some.

RLTW
EP
Old 15 July 2010, 09:47
Whatever Sucks the Most

I am confused.

I may regret getting involved in this thread, but...here goes.

Do I understand you correctly when you say that you have a PTSD diagnosis?

And that you receive no compensation for that condition?

And that you want no compensation?

Here is the thing: if you truly do suffer from PTSD, you will encounter difficulties getting along with others. It is just part of the disorder.

Not that anyone should get a free-pass, or that a PTSD diagnosis should authorize anyone to act like an asshole. I am just saying that a guy with PTSD will often display behaviors that complicate his relationships, whether they are public, private, personal or professional.

This is one of the reasons why guys with PTSD should be in treatment. If you aspire to do things like hold a job, succeed in a marriage, be a good father, excel in an academic environment...you need to be aware of the behaviors that can sabotage you. Therapy can help you with that.

Are you aware that a PTSD rating with the VA can get you educational benefits?
Old 15 July 2010, 10:41
Living the dream

Is she hot?
Old 15 July 2010, 11:49
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
Is she hot?
Maybe revenge sex and a boost in grade? It could be a win-nguyen situation.
Old 15 July 2010, 11:56
Confirmed User

Since my father and brother are professors, I'll throw my .02 into the ring.

From their perspective, half the students don't give a shit. They spend their time in class texting, sleeping, etc. They don't complete assignments on time and then pop into the office at the last minute with a sob story. Don't be that guy. If you're having problems let them know immediately. In fact, I recommend at the beginning of each semester paying your teachers a visit. Check out their office for signs of prior service or children in the military. Talk about their past and let them know about you. Sure, some of them won't give a shit. But you'd be surprised at how many will. It sounds like all she knew of you was that you missed class, took a 17-minute shit break, and fucked with the phone during class. That automatically lumped you into that 50% category of fuckups that was just wasting her time. Right or wrong, that's reality.

There's been some great advice given on this thread, including Miquel's opinion. I wish you the best, hope you get everything in order, and drive on.

Our new posting rules