SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 18 July 2010, 19:58
Rock Star

Thanks Miguel, I didn't want to hear what you had to say but you were right, and I knew it. You didn't mince words and that woke me up. Thank you for your wisdom and support.
Old 20 July 2010, 02:20
Moving Target

I would just like to add that I was told I had PTSD the first time I went to the VA hospital after getting out of the Army. I also had a couple of doctor visits while I was still in the Army after alot of heavy drinking and I was told that I should seek help for PTSD. Well I didn't because I was going SF and I didn't want that I my record. I had been informed that that sort of thing wasn't a plus to have on your record. I ended up to sick and got out of the Army anyway . I will sum it up by saying that I continued to struggle on my on for years and didn't know what was wrong with me exactly. I self medicated , booze , lots of beer . Bar fights, I ended up in a divorce , dropping out of school because I was having headaches and just loosing interest because I had so many other things going on in my head. I had a 4.0 gpa when I just stopped going and layed on the couch for a week.
I just started going to PTSD vet groups a little over a year ago which I really enjoy. I get alot out of being around guys that have had similar experiences in service and out. I see a doctor for meds, I would be careful with what you tell the doctors , I had one have me committed in the VA and had a judge take my gun rights. I was locked up for 20 some days, they told me I would be in there for 3 days for testing, thats another story. I also recommend the www.gulfwarvets.com site , you can get alot of information on there about the meds ands especially the ones to watch out for. Heres another good read about the meds.http://www.rense.com/general90/sleep.htm I know you may think this is BS but I have personally had alot of trouble with some of the meds the VA doctors have given me including heart attacks while I was in patient at the VA for test and so other big problems. The VA PTSD counsulors help alot and they also help you get other things you may need done, things you may not even be aware you have there to help you. Does it make it go away, NO, its helps you deal with it. I was riding home last tuesday from a pysch appointment for meds and the doc had ask me how I was doing, I said ok, on the way home I saw pictures in my mind of things thats happened and things I saw in the war, I won't even say what they were. I don't kno3w why they keep coming. I don't know when I'm going to have a mood swing but I at least have someone to talk to and a little pill that calms me now and I know WTF it is.
Old 29 August 2010, 02:08
Confirmed User

Thumbs up Welcome home, bro'

You didn't mention which HCC campus you attend, but if it's Central, we should get together sometime. I live over in the Montrose (and, as a matter of fact, take the #42 Holman and #1 Hospital to get to the VA and back).

Really don't have much to say that hasn't already been said except for this -- don't knock VA disability! Not only does it help to put food on the table, it got me into the VA Hospital. And then I started trying to get a Psych eval and finally did! Never could get rated for PTSD, but I was able to get a diagnosis of Anxiety Disorder and Depression, and treatment & meds!

Now, depending on where you live, I'd be glad to go with you to the DAV (or which ever) office and keep you company while you try to get a disability rating. But you did say that you're currently being treated at the DeBakey VA Hospital? Well, maybe we'll run into each other up on 6 Blue one of these days, and perhaps we can get a beer afterwards, eh?

I'll PM you with contact info in case you ever need someone to talk to at Oh-dark-thirty some dark night. I usually have a 6-pack in the fridge, and we can sit out on on the patio and I'll tell you about what it was like to serve with the 9th "Waterborne" Inf Div ("only Marine Division in the US Army!") in 'Nam...

Hang in there, guy!

Semper Fi, and
RLTW
Jim

Our new posting rules