SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 December 2010, 15:11
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk 1/75 View Post
Tecate is the ruling house beer. Newcastle or Guinness is always on hand.

Pliny the Elder Double IPA by the Russian River Brewing Company is my favorite at the pubs…..

I tell you I was never so happy as when Vinnie was able to buy Russian River from Korbel after they decided to drop the label. He put a LOT of hard work into those beers just to see it all literally go down the drain and even better is that it was great to see that even without a multi million dollar company behind them they have been able to maintain their award winning ways.

As for me there are FAR TOO many beers to say which one is the best but if I had to pick one I would say it is the one in my hand at the time you ask. However, Dogfish Head is a FANTASTIC brewery, Russian River & Pizza Port (anything Tomme Arthur makes basically). There are a ton of others out there but those guys like to test the boundaries. As for pubs, there are tons of little out of the way places that many people have never heard of that don't bottle so you have to go to them to try their beers.

As for me, having spent many years running a brewery, home brewing and as a BJCP judge I have tasted a great range of beers. From insipid shit you wouldn't piss in to make it taste better to beers that you wish they made in more then 5gal batches.
Old 23 December 2010, 15:26
Been There Done That

When I've got a batch on-hand... my favorite is my own beer or mead. Lately I've been brewing constantly.

Out and about, I'm more likely to order Guinness or Samuel Adams Boston Lager, but there are zillions of IPAs that I dig. I used to like Pete's Wicked Ale, but haven't seen it for a long time. Ranger Ale (yes, I originally bought it for the name, and kept drinking it for the hops).

There are lots of really good beers out there, and I don't have much brand-loyalty. Different days = different beers-- but I refuse to drink anything in clear or green bottles. It just tastes skunky to me. I wish Urquell or some of the other clean lagers would bottle in dark bottles-- I'd like to taste them before the light changes the hop-oils.
Old 23 December 2010, 16:05
SOCNET Moderator

I'm only going to say this once, so pay close attention:

Guinness

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 23 December 2010, 16:17
On the Extract Bird

Guinness, first thing googled after moving into the new house.
"Guinness on tap NoVa" found a place 1.5 miles away :)

Last edited by CarbineM1; 23 December 2010 at 16:20.
Old 23 December 2010, 16:31
Confirmed User

I'm amazed no one has mentioned AK Amber- especially when people up in Alaska have already posted on here.
Old 23 December 2010, 22:12
Get Down!

Does anyone here do their own brewing? I got a kit last year for Christmas but I've only done two brews: A pale ale and a stout. Both turned out pretty good though.
Old 23 December 2010, 22:16
Just fading away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280 View Post
I'm only going to say this once, so pay close attention:

Guinness
Ditto...
Old 23 December 2010, 22:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14_Loyalist View Post
Does anyone here do their own brewing? I got a kit last year for Christmas but I've only done two brews: A pale ale and a stout. Both turned out pretty good though.
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...t=home+brewing
Old 23 December 2010, 23:18
Get Down!

Thanks cord
Old 23 December 2010, 23:35
exorcist

Since I have been watching the weight lately, I found a 55 calorie beer by Bud. Yes, it tastes like 55 cal beer and is about as light as it comes, but I have enjoyed it. It is called.....drum roll......55!

It certainly can't measure up to some mentioned here, but if you are trying to take off some pounds and don't want to give up the beer, this one works.

The only thing worse then losing a child in the service of our country is to lose that child to an ungrateful nation.

Still missing you...SGT Brandon J. Thomas 19thSFG(A)...you are always in my heart, buddy.
Old 24 December 2010, 02:54
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Been a homebrewer for about 10 years and was the head brewer for a small brewing company for about 5 years. I am also a a SuperMod over at Realbeer.com if you need anything.
Old 24 December 2010, 05:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
I've been home brewing for a couple of years.. I'm not quite as adept as my friends, but if you ever have some obscure questions I have a large consortium of beer geeks at my disposal.
Old 24 December 2010, 09:31
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mccaffereys.jpg (14.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 24 December 2010, 10:43
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

Looks so good Frog, I think I'll have a beer with breakfast.
Old 24 December 2010, 10:50
On the Extract Bird

For you former French military types out there

Last edited by CarbineM1; 20 May 2011 at 05:28.
Old 24 December 2010, 10:52
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

^Dude. Good call! I haven't had one of those since a layover in Amsterdam in '04. I wonder if my local Whole Foods might have some.
Old 24 December 2010, 12:05
On the Extract Bird

The 'new and improved' DADT beer... (and yes, it is an actual beer from Scotland)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 917500_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832048320.jpg (45.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 24 December 2010, 15:19
Nec Aspera Terrent

The seven different Belgian Trappist beers I've had were all outstanding... Belgians know beer well. I've also taken a liking to Shepherd Neame's Spitfire Kentish Ale. Goes real well with a steak, other red meat, or smoked.

I can tolerate Guinness, but what is even better, IMO is their Kilkenny Ale. Goes down smoother than the former, and less of a hoppy flavour to it.

... Oh, and x2 on the Kronenbourg Beer. That stuff is so refreshing on a hot day, and is real smooth.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 24 December 2010, 16:50
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
The seven different Belgian Trappist beers I've had were all outstanding... Belgians know beer well. I've also taken a liking to Shepherd Neame's Spitfire Kentish Ale. Goes real well with a steak, other red meat, or smoked.

I can tolerate Guinness, but what is even better, IMO is their Kilkenny Ale. Goes down smoother than the former, and less of a hoppy flavour to it.

... Oh, and x2 on the Kronenbourg Beer. That stuff is so refreshing on a hot day, and is real smooth.
Of the Many Trappist Abbeys in the world only 7 still produce beer, however only 6 are from Belgium- Orval, Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle, Achel, Westvleteren while another one is from the Netherlands-Koningshoeven. They are the only Breweries entitled to use the words "Authentic Trappist" in their beer labels, although I have seen many products in my day claim to be "Trappist Style" on their labels, many fall WAY SHORT. Actually was just looking at some Rochefort 8 & some 10 as well as some Westmalle Triple.

There are Trappist Abbeys in the U.S. but thanks to the laws that make Churches tax exempt they cannot brew beer as beer is HEAVILY taxed at local, state and Federal Level. One thing I hated when brewing was making sure every batch hit the tax determination tank before sending it to serving tanks. Uncle Same want's his money! Which is ironic because then there is another tax on each pint sold which we collected and paid... Go figure...

Anyway, lots of great beers out there.
Old 24 December 2010, 20:18
Been There Done That

Mac and Jacks is still the best thing I've tasted.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot

Our new posting rules