Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 27 September 2013, 13:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
When I was assigned my Ranger Buddy, we surprisingly found that we knew each other from before the Army. I was from 2/75. He was from 1/75; we were both from the same home town, opposing High Schools, and familiar with a local pizza restaurant.

Throughout the entire course, we built an imaginary pizza as we plodded across the patrol landscape:

One of us would start: "18 inch..."
The other would add: "Thick crust..."
Then back to the first guy: "Triple cheese..."
One ingredient or feature at a time.
And so on...

By the time we hit Santa Rosa Island, we had built an imaginary pizza that had never been seen anywhere on earth, with about 50 ingredients.

After graduation ceremony, his Dad picked us up and hauled us both up to the Atlanta area for leave (our home town). We broke contact with all family and friends that first evening of freedom and told everyone we had a "mission" to accomplish.

Went to that exact restaurant, explained our demented appearance and Ranger School tale to the manager...and ordered the pizza of our dreams (or as much of it as that shop could match). Ordered a pitcher of cold Michelob...and awaited delivery of our 1/4 ton pizza. This was at about 7PM. We each ate most of a single slice, drank a half schooner of beer, and promptly fell asleep sitting at very comfortable padded corner booth.

The manager woke us up at midnight as his crew prepared to lockup and go home for the night. He comped us the entire meal, congratulated us on our Tabs, and wished us luck in the Army.

We dreamed that Ranger School pizza for 8.5 weeks. Then realized that fantasy...and caught a nap to boot.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Self Actualization. It occasionally happens...
Great story!
Old 27 September 2013, 15:34
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

+1. Great story.

I don't remember who exactly was there, but the day after graduation, about 4-6 of us went to to the Shoney's on the main drag offbase to stuff ourselves silly (supposedly) with the breakfast buffet.

Umm, yeah -- sure.

I doubt if anyone had more than a second plate of anything -- and it wasn't because the food was bad (it wasn't). There simply was nowhere to put it.

In all of my adult career of destroying the profits of allucaneat buffets, I've never given such a sad and pathetic performance....
Old 27 September 2013, 15:46
Secure The Victory!

"We each ate most of a single slice, ..."

I hope you at least got to bring the rest home!
Old 27 September 2013, 17:22
Been There Done That

When they gave us time off the day before graduation to visit family, here are the places my Ranger Buddy and I went to:
1. PX kiosk - Pizza
2. PX kiosk - ice cream
3. Denny's - Belgium Waffles
4. Subway - Meatball Sub

Puked

5. Four Winds - Ranger burger
6. Ryans - Buffet

Puked
Old 28 September 2013, 00:12
Confirmed User

same thing friend from high school was in 1st bat Ramon Bual good guy, was the one that supplyed me the change for my failed night op, one thing though havin that Christmas break between mtns and Florida was great stayed at Benning did a few nights of runner but always had jar of peanut-butter and bag of peanut m&m with me at all times got to Florida phase with chipmunk cheeks fat and happy
Old 30 September 2013, 14:04
Been There Done That

Class 4-80, my Ranger Buddy was/is 4 Star Marine Fightn Joe Dunford. If I remember right we got a couple extra LRRP's but that was better than nothing...
Old 2 October 2013, 22:07
Been There Done That

Mikey said Chickens..

OT of course and not sure if I've typed this here before or not but an RI story that, well hell, were all standing around a burn barrel talking crap right now anyway, so it seems to apply.

I'm a city boy,Houston born and raised, never fired a gun till I hit the Army. Fast forward to 1993 and I'm a new RI in Florida.

PSG looks at me and says.." Jurena, for today's demonstration you get to bite the head off the chicken".

Well I'm pumped, its a chicken, how hard can it be? Bleachers full of Studs, my first class to get to be the revered RI. Rocking Scrolls in Stereo and a Combat Jump Star, I'm like a rock star up there.

they hand me this rooster with a neck like a quart beer bottle. I'm holding it up, getting the crowd pumped, telling them I'm going to show them the "Ranger Way" to kill this bird.

So, I grab it, and chomp down, mid big ass thick chicken neck.

Wings are flapping, feathers are flying blood is squirting, this damn yard bird is scraping me with its sharp talons.. and I'm starting to gag on chicken blood.

Studs were cheering but looks of horror are starting to look back at me as this is becoming a scene out of bad scary movie. I honestly thought I was going to have to quit. However, I Rangered up, continued to grind and chew and pull until that damn neck was chewed in half. The crowd goes wild...

Later, I would be shown how the preferred technique is to just bite and snap the tiny head off with your off hand.
Old 2 October 2013, 22:34
Been There Done That

^^ so, what you're saying is, PSG Walker failed to PCI you or conduct rehearsals?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 2 October 2013, 23:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
Later, I would be shown how the preferred technique is to just bite and snap the tiny head off with your off hand.
Simply grasping the chicken firmly by the neck and swinging the body around it, lariat fashion, works really nicely.

Great story, BTW!
Old 3 October 2013, 08:11
Been There Done That

Not sure why I can't edit my own post but that should read "rocking a right shoulder scroll" as I had traded the one on the left for the beloved TRADOC "Swallow Me".

@KW he ( the PSG) was from 3/75 and this was a near ambush for an arrogant new RI from 1/75.
Old 3 October 2013, 11:01
Been There Done That

Now it all makes sense.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 3 October 2013, 16:28
Been There Done That

Jurena, I was a student in that class, 11-93.

That was pretty motivating.
Old 3 October 2013, 17:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
Jurena, I was a student in that class, 11-93.

That was pretty motivating.
Well Ted, I'm glad I could contribute to the motivation that got you across the finish line.

All the while braving Salmonella, evisceration by a pissed of fowl
and having to rely on the Ranger Creed to actually complete that mission.

If today was not Oct.03, I'd have a few choice words for said PSG....
Old 4 October 2013, 21:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena View Post
Well Ted, I'm glad I could contribute to the motivation that got you across the finish line.

All the while braving Salmonella, evisceration by a pissed of fowl
and having to rely on the Ranger Creed to actually complete that mission.

If today was not Oct.03, I'd have a few choice words for said PSG....
Damn, W. I would kill to get footage of that.
Old 12 October 2013, 19:50
Been There Done That

To me the infamous and magical "Pogey Bird" was like The Great Pumpkin. Everyone talked about it but I never saw it though I was a devoted believer and patiently waited for it every mission. All that came of it was disappointment after disappointment. *sigh* One time during Florida the Blackhawk crew handed out one snickers bar to each of us but that was it.
Old 28 June 2017, 08:58
Been There Done That

Just re-thinking this thread, after reading the Ranger Prep thread. And remembering how good those Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches, and hershey's chocolate bars and Cokes tasted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 June 2017, 16:20
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Best time in Ranger School? Getting on the Pogey Bird in Florida Phase.

Was a very happy day, when waiting one day for Rotar Wings to pick us up for a infil, that instead of Blackhawks coming into land, we saw the Orange Door Hueys. (funny watching them come in, as couple ddi not have the softest touchdowns)

Will the rumors and stories be true?

I am watching the first group get on their bird, and one of the guys holds up a bucket of KFC!!!! Yes, the rumors are true!

So we get on our bird, and it was pure heaven.

First the crew chief passes out peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and cold cans of Coke from a cooler. Then a big bag of Potato chips get passed around. Then we are each handed a Hershey's chocolate bar.

Still have found memories of that flight!
And then we shit all over said UH-1H......
Old 29 June 2017, 13:00
Authorized Personnel

Red-door Huey. Burger King....threw it all up after two steps on terra firma.
Old 29 June 2017, 14:43
Been There Done That

they were orange doors/panels on all the Rucker training birds.

Our new posting rules