Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 2 July 2011, 16:53

Man claiming to be an Operation Anaconda Ranger

Gentlemen,
There is a man claiming to be a 2 tour OEF Ranger, veteran of Operation Anaconda, who is being used as a poster boy for a homeless organization called Help USA. I was introduced to this fellow on Facebook by SFC(R) Michael Schlitz, who is a Ranger. I am a WWP employee, and as such have a number of "friends" from the various services, including some SOF personel.
If Robert Lebron is the Ranger he claims to be, I'm sure you guys would want to help him out. If not, he is capitalizing on the great name you Rangers have earned.

Mike and another Ranger are calling his service into question. I brought it to a moderator's attention and was given the go ahead to post it here. I will post a few links to this guy below. I work with vets for a living, am an OIF vet myself, and have a pretty strong BS detector. At WWP we need a DD214 to verify service. I don't think all the other non-profits do.

Here are the links...
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93hvaANWbdQ
helpUSA: http://www.helpusa.org/Programs/veteran
Huffpost: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-..._b_887234.html

If he is who he says he is, I'm a career services manager for Wounded Warrior Project, have him get in touch with me. If he isn't, well....have at it.

ATW!
Steve Kraft
Old 2 July 2011, 17:24
ORP

That Mod was me.

A couple quick observations.

Statistcally, he's already unlikely to be a real deal:

1.) He's Black. An incredibly small % of Rangers are Black. Not a racial thing, just a fact. Very few try out, and the swim test in [RIP] RASP fails a lot of the Black guys for some reason.

2.) With that in mind, there were very few Rangers involved in Operation Anaconda.

So a very small percentage of an already small percentage.

Now if he was only Tabbed and not actually in Regiment, we can't help you. Many hundred non-SOF soldiers were involved in Operation Anaconda that could have been Tabbed.

Maybe he lasted long enough in RIP to take and pass Ranger History. Maybe he was in Regiment for 10 minutes and got RFSd. Maybe he's just good at watching the Discovery Channel but bad on details.

Lastly, a Ranger in good standing would never let himself and his kid go homeless. He'd work triple shifts washing dishes or shovelling shit first. And he has a network of Brothers that would never leave him behind and he would know it.

If he's real, all he has to do is register on SOCNET or armyranger.com and reach out, and someone will give him a hand up. Guaranteed.

Last edited by Ranger1; 2 July 2011 at 22:40.
Old 2 July 2011, 17:29
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb A preliminary "quick" research pulled this up.....

Quote:
The organization today released a PSA film message featuring U.S. Ranger and Bronx native Robert LeBron, an Iraq war veteran who was forced to seek shelter in HELP USA's homeless shelter on Morris Avenue with his 14-year-old son..

Stay safe.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 2 July 2011, 18:21
In Vino Veritas

I know Lebron personally. I went to RIP with him and we were in the same company. He was on Aco's first deployment (when OA happened). He was a 13F the whole time I was there.

Now, if he was on the hill that night I do not know for sure as I was down south, and I know Kevin Vance was the TACP up there. Glassiam may be able to answer that.

Lebron left after the death of his wive and daughter (?) (or his wife was pregnant, I do not remember for sure) to take care of his son. He left Regiment under honorable conditions.

ETA: Lebron never went to Ranger school, so he was not tabbed. But he did kick a tankers jaw so hard that it dislocated. Just ask Rico07, he went to court over it :)

Last edited by Hot Mess; 2 July 2011 at 18:27.
Old 2 July 2011, 21:47
Been There Done That

Sounds like he has had a rough go of it...sapper_steve, I hope you guys can help him out now that RS has vouched for him.

As an aside, from the HelpUSA link above:

"Currently, 1 in 3 homeless men is a veteran of war, with nearly 200,000 homeless male veterans sleeping on the street each night as a result."

I love when they trot out ridiculous stats like that...when I was a cop, I always heard "I'm a combat veteran" from folks, to which I always asked "Oh yeah? What unit?" Most did not have an answer for that...
Old 2 July 2011, 22:38
ORP

There you go. The power of SOCNET strikes again. We obviously need to see if we can give this guy a hand.

Sapper Steve, how can we get a hold of him? Of get a hold of someone that can?

Last edited by Ranger1; 2 July 2011 at 22:42.
Old 2 July 2011, 23:02

Gentlemen, I am in NY, I will reach out to Help USA and offer my services through WWP. If I am successful, I will stear him to this site. And I will affirm with Mike Schlitz that he is in fact a Ranger.

Thanks for this, men. I am glad that I brought this to your attention.

Respectfully,
Steve
Old 3 July 2011, 00:05
Been There Done That

I think that sometimes achieving awesome accomplishments at an early age cause some ex hooahs to have a hard time in civilian life...especially seeking out help and/or realizing they need it. Several guys i knew from batt really imploded when they ets'd...
Old 3 July 2011, 02:25
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
That Mod was me.

A couple quick observations.

Statistcally, he's already unlikely to be a real deal:

1.) He's Black. An incredibly small % of Rangers are Black. Not a racial thing, just a fact. Very few try out, and the swim test in [RIP] RASP fails a lot of the Black guys for some reason.

If he's real, all he has to do is register on SOCNET or armyranger.com and reach out, and someone will give him a hand up. Guaranteed.
Whether he self identified as "Black" is unknown to me but throught the American/US eyball test, he is seen as "Black". Nonetheless, he is of Puerto Rican heritage!
Old 3 July 2011, 10:15
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanpunjabTrini View Post
Whether he self identified as "Black" is unknown to me but throught the American/US eyball test, he is seen as "Black". Nonetheless, he is of Puerto Rican heritage!
I don't care if he's of Martian heritage. He's clearly Black. His family could be from Zimbabwe, Haiti, Timbuktoo or the Wonderful Land of Oz. Fact is there are damn few Black guys in Regiment, which was my point.

But now that we know he's one of us, we know precisely what he is.

He's our Brother.

So leave it to us from here on out. Everyone except the original poster or that has never worn a Scroll can stay out of it.

Edited: Actually, if any BTDT wants to pitch in and help out, chime in. We're all Brothers in that sense.

Last edited by Ranger1; 3 July 2011 at 10:29.
Old 3 July 2011, 10:26
In Vino Veritas

http://www.facebook.com/#!/bbchang165

LOL, Lebron is most definitively Puerto Rican I can say without a doubt that Lebron is one of those Rangers that is very charismatic and has a lot of personality. He could always say something to make you laugh. Of course he got smoked more than a few times too.
Old 3 July 2011, 10:38
ORP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink View Post
http://www.facebook.com/#!/bbchang165

LOL, Lebron is most definitively Puerto Rican I can say without a doubt that Lebron is one of those Rangers that is very charismatic and has a lot of personality. He could always say something to make you laugh. Of course he got smoked more than a few times too.
Fair enough you know the dude. But he looks like a Black guy to me (in the American sense, not the South African sense). That Hooah looks like Ludacris or whatever that rapper's name is.

Maybe it's the corn rows throwing me off.

Last edited by Ranger1; 3 July 2011 at 10:43.
Old 3 July 2011, 18:07
BTDT

Lebron was in 1/75 attached to A Co, and was with us on our first deployment to Afghan. He was not on Takur Ghar, hope he's not saying he was.

Very unfortunate thing happened to Lebron after a block leave. He was driving back to Savannah from his home in NYC, and was in a head on collision. He lost his pregnant wife, and the child she was carrying. He and his son survived. He left RGT because he was a single parent and had full custody of his son. Hope he's getting whatever support he needs...
Old 3 July 2011, 21:46
Been There Done That

Definitely not trying to hijack or take away from the fact that I believe we HAVE to help out our brothers in need...but am I the only one wondering how he has facebook? Am I not getting the jist of this thread? I know he was homeless and is now being helped...but really? Facebook?...Yeah maybe for some social networking to be looking for a job..but it is showing he is fans of TV shows..hes got an IPOD in and is holding a liquor bottle..
Maybe I'm an idealist..but when his situation comes to mind..I want to picture the movie The pursuit of happiness happening in the background...not an after school special starring the Ying Yang Twins..Im just saying..
Old 3 July 2011, 22:18
Been There Done That

If anyone gets in touch with him and there is anything I can do for him through GallantFew, please let me know. www.gallantfew.org. RLTW Karl
Old 4 July 2011, 07:08
ORP

I just send him a message on FB. Lets see what he comes back with.
Old 4 July 2011, 09:37
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetabs View Post
but am I the only one wondering how he has facebook?
I knew that was going to come up. With the amount of phones that have FB apps and the shear cost to have a PC or tablet these days EVERYONE can FB. I'm not defending him, just economics. You know, FB doesn't cost anything right

As for drinking, I can't say. I know for a fact that he told me he was allergic to alcohol in Battalion. I cannot remember ever seeing him drink. He would drink NA beer and such, that much I remember. I'll be the first to agree that if someone helps you the LAST thing you should be doing is out drinking and partying it up on their dime. But if you have steady employment and are self sufficient then rock on. I am kind of interested myself.
Old 4 July 2011, 20:26
Been There Done That

Many homeless people access the internet from the local library. They have computers set up for public use.
Old 4 July 2011, 21:11
The Sagacious One

So now that we have analyzed his socioeconomic challenges, we need to decide to act or not.

I think that funding of some type is only temporary. Perhaps a donation to the facility that is helping him ?

What he needs is a job. A way to regain his self esteem. We know people in NY, we have members here that may be able to help him find a job, mostly from the LE side of SOCNET, but none the less members. I will reach out to them via PM once we get work from Steve how to help.

Can you guys get past your addiction to Oprah and offer some solutions?

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 4 July 2011 at 21:12. Reason: RTA: I am from 2/75 and cannot spel either, see what I meen?
Old 5 July 2011, 05:43
ORP

He hasn't come back to me, but I think he's doing pretty OK. Just got linked into his FB pages are full of recent pictures of him with JW Blue and crotch rockets.

And cash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 189783_1516359123797_1679058423_945474_578512_n.jpg (26.3 KB, 657 views)

Last edited by Ranger1; 5 July 2011 at 05:49.

Our new posting rules