Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 14 September 2013, 09:17
Been There Done That

Pogey Bird stories?

Best time in Ranger School? Getting on the Pogey Bird in Florida Phase.

Was a very happy day, when waiting one day for Rotar Wings to pick us up for a infil, that instead of Blackhawks coming into land, we saw the Orange Door Hueys. (funny watching them come in, as couple ddi not have the softest touchdowns)

Will the rumors and stories be true?

I am watching the first group get on their bird, and one of the guys holds up a bucket of KFC!!!! Yes, the rumors are true!

So we get on our bird, and it was pure heaven.

First the crew chief passes out peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and cold cans of Coke from a cooler. Then a big bag of Potato chips get passed around. Then we are each handed a Hershey's chocolate bar.

Still have found memories of that flight!
Old 14 September 2013, 12:56
Preparing to defend

Have flown the Pogey Bird twice in my flying career. Once in flight school '82 (Huey's), and Hawks in the 82nd in '84. Was definitely feeling like a medevac crewman that had saved lives, as the Ranger candidates looked like Holocaust survivors.

On the one in 84, I had a couple of oranges with me in the right pilot seat. There was a poor guy acting as ground guy guiding me and my flight of 5 hawks in for pick up.He stayed there, just outside my front rotor disc, as the troops were loading up. I caught his attention and through hand movements asked him if he wanted an orange. He face lit up, eyes started bulging, tongue hanging out, and shook his head yes. I reached outside my door window and tossed it to him. We both watch the orange fruit go through the air in the falling light, he reaches out with both hands to catch it. Slow motion the whole time. He is literally slobbering.

Now, the rotor disc extends about 30' in front of where I'm sitting. As the fruit arches into the air, we both watch as it slowly reaches its' apogee. At that moment it meets the largest blender known to orange culture.

That damn orange just seemed to vaporize, just feet from this poor guys hands. I have never seen such devastation come over someone so quickly and completely. Just seemed to suck the life out of him.

Don't know what ever came of him, but I do know he did get a meal from one on our crew members on the bird he flew out on.

As an aside, it was luck of the draw in flt school as to which class got to do it, but it was a highly coveted event.
Old 14 September 2013, 14:13
Assholier than thou

Soggy half of a peanutbutter sandwich with very little peanutbutter on it and warm water. My pilots were not appreciated that day.

"We were not sheep, for we knew the reality of violence; We were not wolves, for we respected humanity; We were not sheep dogs, for we “hunted” our adversaries. We were, in fact, lions; and in the land of the jackal… the lion fears no predator."
Old 14 September 2013, 14:57
Been There Done That

We were given a turkey and mustard sandwich on white bread. I can still taste the deliciousness. Then for dessert, we were given a Snickers bar.

We were very appreciative.

This was Oct 1993, almost 20 years ago.
Old 14 September 2013, 15:01
Been There Done That

Three homemade ham & cheese sammiches, with a warm coke and most spectacularly a whole BAG of butterscotch candies

We landed, and of course everybody unasses and runs out ten paces and flops on their belly. I'm layin' there a second and hear a "thump" and look around. Crewchief is gesturing about something. I look to my side and then hear another "thump." "WTF?" I'm thinkin'... and a swivel around to look at the bird again just in time to get nearly hit by one of the apples he'd been chucking at me. Bad aim, but perfect desert selection!

That bag of butterscotches (I friggin' HATE 'em) was divvied up between prolly half of the patrol. We were terrified of being discovered, so they went down pretty quick.

I LOVE rotorheads when they're bringin' me somewhere, or bringin' me something, or in RS. Elsewise, they're tolerable. Sorry Max et al

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 14 September 2013, 15:58
Been There Done That

I was PL (with the RI riding)for the pogey flight- no one on board my bird got squat.

The other guys were holding up Snickers bars and sandwiches

When we got on the ground the RI's conducted a 100% shakedown after giving folks 5 minutes amnesty.
Old 14 September 2013, 16:39
Preparing to defend

Both times I was flying them, I felt like Mother Theresa. YOUSE guys needed help. BAD.
Old 14 September 2013, 18:27
Another pool cleaner

I still think it's a myth. I received a big case of nothing. Just glad to be riding instead of humping

Last edited by 8654maine; 14 September 2013 at 18:53.
Old 14 September 2013, 18:33
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I'm trying to remember if our bird got anything. I think we did, but for some reason I don't think it was anything grand. Don't take that as ungrateful, just that I don't remember buckets of chicken and the like. Maybe there was, I just don't remember it.

I do remember getting on a Puma in Denmark one cold-assed night (my 6th day of being in the field with frostbite -- yes, stupid but in the end it all worked out) and that bird was HEATED. Fuck food -- riding in that thing for 10-15 min was glorious. And then we got dropped at our next insert, whereupon I continued to be a dumbass....
Old 14 September 2013, 19:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
I was PL (with the RI riding)for the pogey flight- no one on board my bird got squat.
I was the PL's RTO. The Crew Chief just stared at us. So did the RI. Zip. Nada. I thought about stabbing that fat fucking Crew Chief to death. When I got off, I saw fuckers dismounting from other birds scarfing sammiches, KFC, homemade cookies, etc.

I was happy anyway, 'cause my boots dried while hanging out the Huey...and I didn't have to walk.

Come to think of it... my class (7-78) didn't see the Super Supper & Blueberry Pancakes at Merrill either.
Old 14 September 2013, 20:32
Been There Done That

Best bologna sandwich and snickers bar I have ever eaten in my life. I literally (just like every RS student, I'm sure) fantasized about those orange-doored Hueys for days before the pick up. Thanks for the good times Ranger Cousins.
Old 14 September 2013, 23:41
Been There Done That

Back in '70 there were rumors of pilots in RS handing out pogey bait, but when I went through the course we received nothing from the pilots.
RIs played a trick on us - in Florida we assaulted a mockup of a VC vill, found a big pile of c-rats in the center of the vill with a sign Merry Xmas Rangers! on top of it. Guys dug into the pile to grab the c-rats, the whole thing was booby trapped with simulators, then the RIs swarmed in handing out bad spot reports to every Ranger caught with a can in hand.
Old 15 September 2013, 07:06
BTDT

Are we talking Deuce and a Halfs with nothing to eat? If so, yeah, I had that. 13-87.

P
Old 15 September 2013, 07:18
BTDT

Zilch, nada, nothing. As far as I know, no one in the class, 7-89, got anything.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 15 September 2013, 07:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Zilch, nada, nothing. As far as I know, no one in the class, 7-89, got anything.

Did you have Desert Phase as last phase?
Old 15 September 2013, 08:06
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Did you have Desert Phase as last phase?
Yes, we did the 58 day version: Benning/Darby, Merrill, Rudder, Dugway.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 15 September 2013, 09:34
The Sagacious One

No desert phase, no helicopter rides, no pogey bait. Only me losing 54 lbs in 58 days.

I did cut my chin open in hand to hand pit and while waiting to get 9 stitches sans Novocaine, the nurse brought me 4 snickers bars.
Old 15 September 2013, 10:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
I was the PL's RTO. The Crew Chief just stared at us. So did the RI. Zip. Nada. I thought about stabbing that fat fucking Crew Chief to death. When I got off, I saw fuckers dismounting from other birds scarfing sammiches, KFC, homemade cookies, etc.

I was happy anyway, 'cause my boots dried while hanging out the Huey...and I didn't have to walk.

Come to think of it... my class (7-78) didn't see the Super Supper & Blueberry Pancakes at Merrill either.
You were in the class ahead of me...
Old 15 September 2013, 10:56
Whatever Sucks the Most

I did not get dick.

I am still pissed.

Guys in the other birds were scarfing down McDonald's hamburgers. We could see the wrappers flying out of the birds.

It was horrible!
Old 15 September 2013, 10:57
Whatever Sucks the Most

I did not get dick.

I am still pissed.

Guys in the other birds were scarfing down McDonald's hamburgers. We could see the wrappers flying out of the birds.

It was horrible!

Our new posting rules