Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 15 September 2013, 13:25
Been There Done That

Disappointed in my Aviator brothers after reading through this.

Doing the RS flight was probably the coolest part of flight school.

We bought a shit tone of pizza and gatorade for the guys (each guy got half a large, I think)... We may have also made the route of flight slightly longer than it needed to be, for tactical reasons or something
Old 15 September 2013, 14:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Yes, we did the 58 day version: Benning/Darby, Merrill, Rudder, Dugway.
Maybe why then? Since, as I understand it, Pogey Birds where flown by the Student Pilots to celebrate their last days in Flight School - one of their final flights, and combining with Ranger Students in their last phase of Ranger School (and to remember back in the early 60s when Ranger School students pulled a student pilot out of a burning helo. IIRC?) So if Desert Phase was last phase instead of Florida, you had not yet reached the peak of starvation yet?

I think I was in the last, or next to last class 2-88, right before they switched over to 2 weeks in desert, cut down the time in Florida and made Desert last phase. I thought that was strange progression. IIRC that only lasted about 2 years? Still just as hard, just different and bucked tradition a bit.

What year was it they cut desert phase out all together? 1996?

I was fortunate or unfortunate, depends on how you look at it, to get jumps in each phase as well - so 4 jumps in Ranger School. I envied the "leg" students who did not have to deal with that in Ranger school. But, I got to go through Mountain Phase twice, as I really wanted to perfect my climbing skills using 1950s climbing equipment on slick wet rock and wanted to eat as many Blue Berry pancakes as possible.
Old 15 September 2013, 15:03
Been There Done That

I was the RI's RTO.
Nothing, nada, nunka, ziltch.
For whatever reason after the RIs switched over in the morning they all stayed in the field until after the helo ride.
They all got on the same bird, I suppose so as not to interfere with Operation Pogey Bait.
RS 1-79
You folks donít get it. You think you are free men. LOL. But you are actually the drudge, slave, captive, laborer, serf, servant, worker, chattel, help, menial, peon, retainer, skivvy, thrall, toiler, vassal, workhorse, bondservant, subservient, bond slave, captive, laborer, in a system to ensure the comfort and longevity of the elites. There are only two classes, the elite and everyone else. F*ck you.
Old 15 September 2013, 16:44
Confirmed User

Like a Charlie Brown Halloween; crew chief reached into his helmet bag and produced a shiny apple for each stud...better than air pudding, but anti climatic for sure.
Old 15 September 2013, 18:33
Been There Done That

I was in class 4-95, and the Pogey Birds were a God Send.....it was almost as if I'm dreaming trying to remember it all. Last Desert Class was 7-95 I believe. One of our guys went through it and told us later they got to have a weenie roast..........I was jealous.
Old 15 September 2013, 18:43
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I'm still in shock that guys went through a RS that didn't have blueberry pancakes in the mountains. WTF? That was literally a life-changing event for me. I now classify blueberry pancakes, peanut butter, topped with over-easy eggs as its own food group. My family has been eating them for 20 years.

You dudes that got fucked deserve a PTSD rating from the VA....
Old 15 September 2013, 19:17
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I'm still in shock that guys went through a RS that didn't have blueberry pancakes in the mountains. WTF? That was literally a life-changing event for me. I now classify blueberry pancakes, peanut butter, topped with over-easy eggs as its own food group. My family has been eating them for 20 years.

You dudes that got fucked deserve a PTSD rating from the VA....
Blueberry pancakes? For fuck's Sake! You, and all of your iHop thingy carrying rump ranger buddies like that fucking midget pirate should only wear the first 5 letters, or a RANGE Tab.

I never had blueberry pancakes. For Fuck's Sake. The Magician and I were cheated, cheated I say.
Old 15 September 2013, 19:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I never had blueberry pancakes. For Fuck's Sake. The Magician and I were cheated, cheated I say.
* C H O R T L E *

Being a frostbite victim of the infamous 4-80 ice storm patrol who got recycled back to Day 1 six months later to 9-80, I got BlueBerry Pancakes TWICE

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 September 2013, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy
Both of you are welcome to come to my home, I will make you the most badassed blueberry pancakes, peanut-butter, and over easy eggs that you've missed for your whole life.

In the interim, I want to point out that when I was going through the chowline in RS, there was a sign over the serving area that stated our helpings were doubled due to having saved a fortune not feeding those ungrateful flintlock-carrying fucks from previous years. I only now understand who they were referring to. Its so cool to finally be able to put a face to that signage....
Old 15 September 2013, 20:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper View Post
I was in class 4-95, and the Pogey Birds were a God Send.....it was almost as if I'm dreaming trying to remember it all. Last Desert Class was 7-95 I believe. One of our guys went through it and told us later they got to have a weenie roast..........I was jealous.
When did they initially add Desert Phase, at Ft. Bliss (White Sands, correct? got to spend Basic Training out in that area) and then switch to Dugway Proving Grounds?
Old 15 September 2013, 20:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Are we talking Deuce and a Halfs with nothing to eat? If so, yeah, I had that. 13-87.

P
Damn. 8-00 must have followed suit! We got hosed too! Now blueberry pancakes on the other hand...
Old 15 September 2013, 20:23
Been There Done That

Did anyone else get a big Spaghetti dinner at the end of Mountain phase as well? That had everyone puking and holding their stomachs in pain on the ride back to Benning?
Old 15 September 2013, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey
When did they initially add Desert Phase, at Ft. Bliss (White Sands, correct?
It was before my class, 11-85....
Old 15 September 2013, 23:24
Confirmed User

Never mind.
Old 15 September 2013, 23:41
The Sagacious One

Spaghetti? Pancakes? Midget Pirates? Cats and dogs lying together The horror, the horror.
Old 15 September 2013, 23:59
Been There Done That

For the pogey ride, I ate a Big Mac and a snickers. Can I say "AWESOME?"

In the mountains, the blueberry pancakes were a God send. I also had cravings for Belgium Waffles, but what was strange is that I never ever had any before. The first thing I went on the day before graduation was Denny's to eat one.
Old 16 September 2013, 00:07
Been There Done That

For the pogey ride, I ate a Big Mac and a snickers. Can I say "AWESOME?"

In the mountains, the blueberry pancakes were a God send. I also had cravings for Belgium Waffles, but what was strange is that I never ever had any before. The first thing I went on the day before graduation was Denny's to eat one.
Old 16 September 2013, 00:27
Another pool cleaner

Class 12-89. Desert was last phase. I don't remember where we went after graduation. It was all you can eat. I got sick and rolled out. Gained some padding so I didn't look like a POW.
Old 16 September 2013, 01:05
Been There Done That

I got pancakes twice, but only because my Company went up and did a movement to survival back into camp, before I went to school. and here's a secret, they only kick ass when you were really damn hungry.

the chow bird was on our last day in Florida. we did an airfield seizure, not the island mission.

I did a 72 day class, with 10 day FTXs for all four phases. Day 9 was a planning day for the big mission. we sat there, some of us knowing we were good to go, some not sure if they'd catch a position on Day 10, and some scrambling hard to fight the recycle. we sat around looking at our MREs, knowing we'd get the birds the next day. can't hurt to eat this cracker and peanut butter. it can't hurt to eat just ....

pretty soon most of us had eaten Day 10's meal, completely. what the hell, right? it's jsut one day without chow, and it's the last day.

I got two PB&Js I think, a snickers bar, and an ice cold can of coke. I think it was all gone in about 30 seconds. there were smiles everywhere.

other guys got pizza this, sub that, KFC there....

RIs said we better not have anything in our hands when we got off the birds. there were a couple of sticks coming off still chewing and swallowing around smiles. it didn't suck.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:03
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I did not get dick.

I am still pissed.

Guys in the other birds were scarfing down McDonald's hamburgers. We could see the wrappers flying out of the birds.

It was horrible!
Because I can, I ate two McDonald's double cheeseburgers and a filet of fish sandwich with extra tartar sauce yesterday for lunch. I do not even want to think about all of the chemical preservatives that my liver is breaking down.

Now I am feasting on ground pork finger patties dipped into Thai nahm jim (chili, fish sauce, some white powered stuff that I can never remember, and water to dilute the fish sauce to taste). My neighbor makes them.

I am still tormented by the trauma of no chow on that day. I was recycled twice, so I had been in the course for a hell of a long time. I was Ethiopian by the time that it was over.

To my later surprise, I also got a huge TDY check!

Our new posting rules