Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 16 September 2013, 08:30
Sound off for equipment check!

I scored a Baby Ruth while sitting next to the RI in a cramped Huey. Seems like it was around day 9 of the 13 day patrol in Florida, and we were exhausted and famished.

Eating it immediately on landing was like an oral religious experience. I kept the last half of that bar in my mouth, rolling it around and savoring the taste, for a long, long time.

Baby Ruth bars are still my favorite, and I cannot eat one without pausing briefly to bless Pogey Express pilots.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 16 September 2013, 08:57
****, Got the T-shirt

Since it's too late to edit the initial post, just want to add that, in addition to no pogey bait from the pilots for RS 13-70, there were no pancakes, blueberry or otherwise, at mountain phase, nor was there any big dinner at the end of Florida. We were, however, permitted to go to the little PX at Florida after the last formation, where everybody pigged out on ice cream and candy bars, etc. Of course, some got sick. I did not, having run out of money before I could buy enough to get sick. Bussed back to Benning in the morning, I had three days from there to be in-country. I was still hungry when I arrived at Tan Son Nhut.
Old 16 September 2013, 09:44
Been There Done That

We got a simple brown bag lunch. PB&J, Lays chips, Snickers bar, and a warm Coke. It was heavenly. I also got a No-Go too. I was the WSL, we were doing the airfield seizure and my gun teams were split up and couldn't find the RP so we could occupy the SBF berm. By the time I found my last team and headed to the berm the RI was giving fire commands. I just sat back and hoped I got another patrol.
Old 16 September 2013, 11:20
Been There Done That

The worst part of Super Supper was the next day waking up after a long drive back to FT Benning in a Charter Bus. The smell was horrendous. Damn farting ass RS students.
Old 16 September 2013, 11:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Zilch, nada, nothing. As far as I know, no one in the class, 7-89, got anything.
Well, I can certainly vouch for this story, having graduated in the same class.

I did, however; steal a glass and metal sugar shaker out of the Floridia chow hall which I consumed immediately upon exit and hid the evidence in the dumpster. This of course led to violent vomiting and cost me my hot meal as well.

There was a certain Doc Dannis who was a long tabber before coming to 1/75, who I found underneath one of the hooches with a trash bag full of snickers and other shit at Dugway. Seems his SF buddies had left him a cache which he gladly shared with me for my silence, closest thing to any pogey birds I came across.

As an RI in Florida, I always thought the birds were cool, platoons and squads were certainly motivated after they came.

ETA - the live fire idea in Dugway ranks right up there as one of the dumbest things I've ever attempted / experienced while in. And that says a lot...
Old 16 September 2013, 11:47
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena
This of course led to violent vomiting and cost me my hot meal as well.
I remember a Battboy vomiting after breakfast or lunch in FL while walking back to the barracks -- I immediately thought what a shame, he was going to be hungry as fuck later.
Quote:
Seems his SF buddies had left him a cache which he gladly shared with me for my silence, closest thing to any pogey birds I came across.
One of the LTs in my squad in the mountains traded McDonalds burgers to us for our silence while he left at night to get laid and chow (he had graduated from NGC and his GF was still there).
Quote:
ETA - the live fire idea in Dugway ranks right up there as one of the dumbest things I've ever attempted / experienced while in. And that says a lot...
I thout the livefire at White Sands was just that. I got a simple GO as PL, though. The RIs ran everything and all I had to do was successfully breath....
Old 16 September 2013, 12:11
Been There Done That

I did desert second, at Bliss. When I heard they used to live fire, during the last phase, my blood ran cold. I couldn't/can't imagine how dangerous that would have been. Jumping with all those five jump chumps, and 82nd clowns was bad enough.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 16 September 2013, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver
When I heard they used to live fire, during the last phase, my blood ran cold....
I won't deny that going into it I had some concerns. But when the RI came up to me and said that this was HIS show and that I just needed to stay glued to him, OK -- fine by me. What an easy GO, right?
Old 16 September 2013, 13:50
Been There Done That

Graduated 6-88, started 4-88. Heard all about the pogey birds in Florida, some birds stuck with the tradition while others (mine included) did NOT! The guys who did get anything, were less than impressed. No KFC, Mickey D's, pizza or anything like that. Smashed PB&J, maybe some fruit. Not what it was built up to be.

My last phase (Dugway x2) was the worst. Mainly due to a fat O 3/75 reject RI that had a hard on for me. Have to agree with the live fire stuff there, not real thrilled but easy enough since the RI's took control. The best part was the mandated 5 1/2 hours sleep the night before a live fire exercise. :D Two weeks on hold over there, with a chow hall, bowling alley, etc. on the small base didn't hurt either.
Old 16 September 2013, 17:22
Been There Done That

I really like all the comments about RI's in control....

30 some odd, emaciated, drowned out, dragging their weapons behind them with dummy cord, students who have live rounds is a bit out of the leadership span of control.
Old 16 September 2013, 17:34

Quote:
30 some odd, emaciated, drowned out, dragging their weapons behind them with dummy cord, students who have live rounds is a bit out of the leadership span of control.
And yet what is RS supposed to be emmulating? I'm not defending the school -- but isn't the thing about RS is that it puts people under so-called real stress and then grades them?

If live-fire under stress is that dangerous, then remove it from the course. Or don't and keep giving easy Go's....
Old 16 September 2013, 17:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
If live-fire under stress is that dangerous, then remove it from the course. Or don't and keep giving easy Go's....
It has been removed.

My point was, from an RI perspective, to be in control you needed some of the natural leaders from the student body to step up and ensure weapons were on safe, pointed down range, etc. What I saw was a bunch of people who were just marking time to graduate. It was the last mission, I know of very few who were in graded positions that needed that "go".

Canine and Equestrian stuff to appease whoever came up with the idea.
Old 16 September 2013, 17:52

Quote:
It has been removed.

My point was, from an RI perspective, to be in control you needed some of the natural leaders from the student body to step up and ensure weapons were on safe, pointed down range, etc. What I saw was a bunch of people who were just marking time to graduate. It was the last mission, I know of very few who were in graded positions that needed that "go"....
Right on. In my class, it was before FL and since we only had a week in the desert, you needed to knock your patrol out solidly since time was of the essence. Again, if it was too dangerous -- then you guys did what was required to tone it down.

In the end, this (your comment) is yet another reason why someone graduating RS shouldn't be termed as a Ranger. Holding students hands during graded exercises, or not having the exercise because the students aren't up to par to play -- doesn't shine a friendly light on the course.

And except for the LTs coming out of college or IOBC, who amongst those students had not already done far more difficult live fire scenarios (or just training in general) before ever getting to RS?
Old 16 September 2013, 21:23
Been There Done That

Still remember the Snickers bar I got from the pilots on the Pogey Bird. Glad I scarfed it down quick cause soon as we landed the RI's put us in formation and had us lay everything out. A couple of guys got caught with their pogey and had to pay the piper....
Old 16 September 2013, 21:55

I didn't get anything on the pogey birds but when in Dalonega, my Ranger Buddy (Jonald Flow 2nd Batt and Kilo Ranger with the 4th Div in Vietnam) snuck up on some camper that gave him some fried chicken. It was heaven. He saved my ass more than once and taught me how to open a c-rat can silently while on patrol.
Class 8-78 (Crazy Eights, and one Ranger Woodstock!)
Old 16 September 2013, 22:04
Been There Done That

Class 1-95 here. My bird had an igloo cooler full fo McDonalds single hamburgers. HEAVEN. Today I can't stand McD's.

Anybody remember the sort of mandatory hot dog dinner the RTB wives were putting on at Bliss? Chili and hot dogs...great idea gals.
Old 16 September 2013, 23:36
#AllLionsMatter

3-91 and all I can remember is a patrol on X-Mas eve in the mountains...

Because I was a long-tabber; I was stripped before each phase.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 17 September 2013, 07:48
Been There Done That

Class 12-89.....58 days.

We lucked out and had red door birds which meant we were treated to a few smashed PB&J sandwiches, to which the RIs stated..."Eat up....cuz once your off these birds you belong to me."

Worst thing....Florida Phase....rowing the Zodiacs down that river with an RI sitting in the middle on his ruck. He pulls out the largest sub/hoagie/grinder I've ever seen and proceeds to chow down, while the rest of us are staring. He takes one bite and yells "She put frickin mayonnaise on it!!" and he THROWS the whole thing into the swamp.

Many sad faces.....but funny as heck now that I look back.
Old 17 September 2013, 07:53
Another pool cleaner

RangerAx, you and I were in the same class.
Old 17 September 2013, 08:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerAx View Post
Class 12-89.....58 days.

Worst thing....Florida Phase....rowing the Zodiacs down that river with an RI sitting in the middle on his ruck. He pulls out the largest sub/hoagie/grinder I've ever seen and proceeds to chow down, while the rest of us are staring. He takes one bite and yells "She put frickin mayonnaise on it!!" and he THROWS the whole thing into the swamp.
In some other thread I posted how disappointed I was when I went back as an RI and its because of actions like this. As a peer on that patrol, I would have hit him with my walking stick as it, IMHO, defines unprofessionalism.

Did I always eat MRE's, no. But never did I eat anything in front of the studs, or would I have pulled a stunt like this.

Sort of like the clowns who wore their scuba suits under their BDU's for rope bridge nights. Only problem was THEY all outranked me, so other then telling them I thought it was stupid, there was not much else I could do.

Our new posting rules