Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 17 September 2013, 14:22
Confirmed User

In class 7-84 I was on one of the last birds and by the time we got on the whoppers and sodas and snickers were gone I think I got an apple and a bag of chips or something like that... beats nothing I guess.
Old 17 September 2013, 18:47
Conformed User

My class did about 5 air assault missions, mostly in the mountains. Something about reserve pilots getting hours. I had zero pogie. Very disappointing.

I did eat a half bag of M&Ms that I found in a trash can. Happiest day of my life to that point.
Old 17 September 2013, 19:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post

In the end, this (your comment) is yet another reason why someone graduating RS shouldn't be termed as a Ranger. Holding students hands during graded exercises, or not having the exercise because the students aren't up to par to play -- doesn't shine a friendly light on the course.

And except for the LTs coming out of college or IOBC, who amongst those students had not already done far more difficult live fire scenarios (or just training in general) before ever getting to RS?
As for the first sentence.. yeah, been debated ad nausuem on multiple board and threads. I suspect even here.

As a long time member of the Regiment, I agree. However, if I was someone who attended the course and graduated, I might feel different. The IOBC kids, think about it.. no Pre-Ranger no real world nothing, just.. "here you go, sink or swim".

As for point 2, it actually ties into the first. For us guys, it was nothing more than something that had to be done to wear green felt. A bullshit hurdle, easily stepped over.

Tired? yep, Hungry? sure. but the course itself was a break from the day to day grind that was 2 Charlie 1/75.

Any way, sorry for the hijack.
Old 18 September 2013, 10:42
Been There Done That

Perhaps not, perhaps so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
3-91 and all I can remember is a patrol on X-Mas eve in the mountains...

Because I was a long-tabber; I was stripped before each phase.
Probably not because you were a long tabber, but because you are, after all, you.
You folks donít get it. You think you are free men. LOL. But you are actually the drudge, slave, captive, laborer, serf, servant, worker, chattel, help, menial, peon, retainer, skivvy, thrall, toiler, vassal, workhorse, bondservant, subservient, bond slave, captive, laborer, in a system to ensure the comfort and longevity of the elites. There are only two classes, the elite and everyone else. F*ck you.
Old 18 September 2013, 11:05
Been There Done That

I remember having a long tabber from 5th Group go through our class. One of the most squared away Joes I have ever met. Felt bad for him when he got a patrol "No Go" in Florida phase, really to no fault of his own - just a really bad night. Raft sinking, 2 students catching hypothermia, 2 major breaks in contact on patrol, guys talking to trees. You know when you are in the lead squad and you send for headcount and you get the number 5, you are in trouble. ; )
Old 19 September 2013, 14:51
Confirmed User

No blueberry pancakes that is definitely the last hard class
Old 19 September 2013, 15:03
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

If you didn't get blueberry pancakes, you should sue to let them allow you to go through Mountain phase again....
Old 19 September 2013, 15:12
Confirmed User

That moment when you figure out you're waiting for the guy in front of you to move staring at the ranger eyes only to realize its a fucking tree yep break in contact
Old 19 September 2013, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyr
That moment when you figure out you're waiting for the guy in front of you to move staring at the ranger eyes only to realize its a fucking tree....
Not guilty!!!!
Old 19 September 2013, 19:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyr View Post
That moment when you figure out you're waiting for the guy in front of you to move staring at the ranger eyes only to realize its a fucking tree yep break in contact
The even bigger moment when your the PSG Walker.......

ETA - now, I managed to find the herd of elephants in front of me, if you can't hear them you can certainly smell them. Trust me, if you go back with a belly full of chow and well rested, you will smell the patrol base 100 meters out...

Because we all like humor..

A SL Walker radio'ed to me that his squad was going to be late. I inquired as to why and he said the SL was "misoriented". Now, there are certain things that have to be done each night and as the PSG Walker we have to herd the cats. So I said, "get them in here, we have to move, everyone else is here". Radio silence.....

25 minutes later he comes back and says.."listen, can you send up a star cluster this STUDENT is really off course". Well, he sent this over the Admin net / Motorola. 3 platoons, 12 squads out.. guess how many Star clusters went up from every cardinal direction!

Apparently, it was not only the stud in graded position who was misoriented.

Last edited by RangerJurena; 19 September 2013 at 19:19. Reason: Funny Stuff
Old 19 September 2013, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJurena
Because we all like humor....Apparently, it was not only the stud in graded position who was misoriented.
I got my GO in FL because the RI was a little bit disoriented and I wasn't (I was the APL for that split-team movement) when a student in my squad had a bee sting issue....
Old 20 September 2013, 09:44
Been There Done That

Remember this from Mountain Phase. On patrol, one of those pitch black nights. I am last on the patrol, RI is behind me. We stop movement. RI comes up to me, red light, hands me the map and says "show me where we are a on the map". RI was from 2nd Bat formally, and knew I was from 2nd Bat. So I get the stick and do the typical student things kind of circling slowly on the maps while saying "well, we are about hmmm, hmmm, here. hmmm I think..hmmm...Ok, to be honest I have no idea where we are at". (oh crap, here comes a major minus spot report). Well, much to my humor and relief, the RI responds with "I don't know where the F@*@ we are either. Lets go find out and get this patrol un-F**#*#". ; ) Was a long night, but no one got a no go or minus spot report.
Old 20 September 2013, 11:23
****, Got the T-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Remember this from Mountain Phase. On patrol, one of those pitch black nights. I am last on the patrol, RI is behind me. We stop movement. RI comes up to me, red light, hands me the map and says "show me where we are a on the map". RI was from 2nd Bat formally, and knew I was from 2nd Bat. So I get the stick and do the typical student things kind of circling slowly on the maps while saying "well, we are about hmmm, hmmm, here. hmmm I think..hmmm...Ok, to be honest I have no idea where we are at". (oh crap, here comes a major minus spot report). Well, much to my humor and relief, the RI responds with "I don't know where the F@*@ we are either. Lets go find out and get this patrol un-F**#*#". ; ) Was a long night, but no one got a no go or minus spot report.
My first patrol in the mountains, at night, in the rain, the RI was adamant I was on the wrong course in the wrong place - went up & down John Dick mountain 3x that night, only to find at dawn I had been in the right place to begin with - big no go anyway.
Old 20 September 2013, 19:51
Cry havoc

Quote:
Tired? yep, Hungry? sure. but the course itself was a break from the day to day grind that was 2 Charlie 1/75.
Fucking truth right there, I almost wished I had recycled every phase but no I had to go straight through.

8-92, 72 days of fun in the sun and clearly the last hard class. My buddy was from Bco, we had a long list of miserable stories, live fires and nasty places to laugh our way through most of it.

If one was dumb enough to miss the blue berry pancakes in Mountains, than man you really missed something special! ....and peanut butter, hell yeah.

Our bird didn't get a bunch of pogey but what we did get was effing amazing (see pic).

The best thing I ever ate in my life had to be the RIs pet chicken. During police call I kept telling the guy next to me that I smelled BBQ. To the point where I started getting loud and looking around for it, finally the kid say, "...stfu Mike, I've got the damn chicken in my 2quart pouch. Here's a wing just stfu."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 345 views)

Two eyes from the east.
Old 20 September 2013, 20:22
Been There Done That

Oatmeal Creampies....Little Debbie--Go ahead and hate me for this, but I dispise these fuckers. And here is why:

I live less than a mile from the Little Debbie factory where these and many others are made, and when they run a batch, I am freezing my fucking ass off in a tree stand, cold and hungry and thinking of these...and many other memories where I was in much the same position.

So, when care packages are sent to our boys downrange, I make sure I buy quite a few boxes of these (I get them for a quarter a box)....I guess I am nothing more than a grounded pogey bird these days :)
Old 21 September 2013, 08:42
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Oatmeal Creampies....Little Debbie--Go ahead and hate me for this, but I dispise these fuckers. And here is why:

I live less than a mile from the Little Debbie factory where these and many others are made, and when they run a batch, I am freezing my fucking ass off in a tree stand, cold and hungry and thinking of these...and many other memories where I was in much the same position.

So, when care packages are sent to our boys downrange, I make sure I buy quite a few boxes of these (I get them for a quarter a box)....I guess I am nothing more than a grounded pogey bird these days :)

When My wife goes shopping she was like WTF? And She would ask me, "Hey Mike, why do you do it, man? Why? You some kind of OCP junkie?"

I won't say a goddamn word. Why? She won't understand. She won't understand why we do it. She won't understand it's about the men next to you....and pogey birds...and starvation... and that's it. That's all it is.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 21 September 2013, 09:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
When My wife goes shopping she was like WTF? And She would ask me, "Hey Mike, why do you do it, man? Why? You some kind of OCP junkie?"

I won't say a goddamn word. Why? She won't understand. She won't understand why we do it. She won't understand it's about the men next to you....and pogey birds...and starvation... and that's it. That's all it is.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah.....Awesomeness!
Old 21 September 2013, 10:21
Authorized Personnel

All right throw one in. Class 1-92, I had PL for Bay Planning, the insert by the "Pogey Birds" and right up to the ORP, long day.

For some reason a USAF Chaplin from Eglin was walking along. I remember him distinctly for a couple of reasons. First he had on shiny as hell jump boots. Second when we got on the Blackhawk the Crew Chief hands out PB&J's and Snicker bars. They were delicious! The Chaplin apparently thought that a meal was standard on US Army aircraft.

So with a confused look on his face handed his PB&J and Snickers to me!!! :). I passed the Snickers to my RTO and half the PB&J to the other student behind me. I shoved the other half in my mouth as we got the 1 minute. Hit the LZ with a mouthful of sandwich.

It was a good day as I got a "Go" on the patrol. The Chaplin was limping allot when he disappeared after the we left the OBJ.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 23 September 2013, 11:32
Been There Done That

Something even more disappointing: When you come back as an RI and BB Pancakes are not as good as you remember them.
Old 23 September 2013, 14:04
Secure The Victory!

Man, I just love hearing these stories. You guys are awesome.

Our new posting rules