Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 17 May 2017, 15:38
Been There Done That

2nd BN Open House 18 May

Sorry for the late heads up. For those in and around the area, 2/75 will be holding an Open House at JBLM tomorrow (18 May). Displays and tour of the compound as usual so you get to see all the new facilities and equipments. There will be a briefing from the Ranger Chain of Command and lunch at the DFAC.

RLTW!
Old 17 May 2017, 18:34
Been There Done That

Wish I could attend!
Old 17 May 2017, 21:25
Been There Done That

Thai, it's funny. I looked last night remembering you said you'd give us a heads up but couldn't find your post, then forgot to post myself. I'm going with another local A Co guy even older than I am. If you're there I'm the devastatingly handsome bald fat guy. Say hi!
Old 17 May 2017, 21:48
Been There Done That

Will do Murph. I should be able to sneak out of work around 10:30. Can't miss me, I'll be the old silver hair Thai guy wearing a black 75th DUI windbreaker.
Old 18 May 2017, 08:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Thai, it's funny. I looked last night remembering you said you'd give us a heads up but couldn't find your post, then forgot to post myself. I'm going with another local A Co guy even older than I am. If you're there I'm the devastatingly handsome bald fat guy. Say hi!
Can't make it moving cows. Have a good time and tell George hello...
Old 19 May 2017, 08:28
Been There Done That

So how was the Open House?
Any visuals?
Old 19 May 2017, 11:35
Been There Done That

Sorry no visual. The Open House was ran by The Point Du Hoc Foundation. The tour of the compound was conducted by current rangers. One of our guide was this year's Best Ranger winner, MSG Horsager. I walked around with an former 2d Bn buddy, Jay Hall and he said there are nothing here from the old quad that are still standing. The Memorial Garden is very impressive. Hats off to Mike Okita and his staff for standing up this beautiful monument. Hope someone else who attended will post some pics of the garden. The most impressive briefing to me was at the new gym. It's nothing like the old days. This place have all the lastest equipments. To topped it off, the gym is operated by both military and civilian staff. There is a dedicated sport medicine doctor assigned there plus 3 civilian trainers who also are trainers for the Seattle's professional teams; Seahawks, Mariners and the Sounders and also a nutritionist. Now days, if you get injured, the Bn will do everything they can to get you back to in shape. Unlike our days where you have 90 days to get back in shape or you could be facing RFM. As for fitness, today's rangers are heads above the rest of the Army. On top of the old physical fitness standard that we all are used to, rangers now days have to do additional 40 mins physical events with there kit on and weight lifting. As for medical training, again rangers are leading the way. We saw a squad conducting some medical refresher training in their squad's bay. First I thought they were medics but they were actually line guys doing advance trauma on a realistic looking dummy with both legs missing and bleeding like a pig. Again, thanks to the Foundation for putting this up. The only complaint I have was we had to pay for our lunch. Lol.
Old 19 May 2017, 11:50
Been There Done That

Well if the lunch was anything like the Mess Hall, I mean the DFAC, putout for all the special visitors we used to have, paying could have not been that bad. Hope it was good. Looking forward to seeing what the old Quad looks like now.
Old 19 May 2017, 15:32
Been There Done That

Thai, I don't know how I missed you. I was with the guys in the Sons of Mosby colors, but I'm not in that outfit. I didn't know MSG Horsager was part of the tour, but I recognized him in the chow hall, ambushed him and spoke for a few minutes. Nice guy; I heard he's up for first sergeant so must be getting a company.

Remember 'the fittest guy in the Battalion' from the gym? My son and I hung back and spoke with him and the gym NCOIC for about ten minutes after everyone went to lunch. He gave my boy some stellar advice.

The Memorial is really taking shape--seems like it's come a long way even since the 40th in '14. The only photo I have is of a few of us with Leroy Petry in front of the obelisk for the fallen--a very sobering part of the memorial, btw. I'll see if I can steal some pics from the guys I was with.

Jim, George and talked about you on the way down. Hope you're doing well, bud.

Last edited by Murph; 19 May 2017 at 15:46.

Our new posting rules