Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 8 July 2017, 17:03
The Sagacious One

Ballad of the Green Berets

The SF guys from Viet Nam raised me as a cadet, taught me to land navigate, taught me patrolling and leadership in general. My first Tm Sgt was a Son Tay Raider. Today while looking for garden brick a brack for HH6 and other older collectibles, I found this for $10. The lady said it didn't have the record in it, it was just a framed album cover. Low and behold, when I get it home and apart, the album is inside. Here's to you MSG Robertson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballad gb.jpg (20.0 KB, 475 views)
Old 8 July 2017, 17:30
Been There Done That

Paging 18C4V, 18C4V to the SF area...

I am not a fan of the song...hey, 18C4V, do you remember when we refused to sing it for Gray Davis?
Old 8 July 2017, 19:21
Life is simple, not easy.

My parents had that very album. I listened to it as a kid. Haven't seen that album cover in probably 30 years.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 8 July 2017, 19:26
Swimming Upstream

Very cool, good find TFG. A friend has a band here, BonesFork that has their own version of the song, it's way more grungy.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 July 2017, 20:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Very cool, good find TFG. A friend has a band here, BonesFork that has their own version of the song, it's way more grungy.
BonesFork...nice!
Old 8 July 2017, 22:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
BonesFork...nice!
How about "Drowning Creek"? That has possibilities too.
Old 8 July 2017, 23:04

Just got hooked on the music by Bonesfork. Thanks Gavin.
Old 8 July 2017, 23:13

My mistake, Purple36 mentioned Bonesfork. Thanks for letting us know about their version. Amazing find TFG.
Old 8 July 2017, 23:38
Did...did I do that?

The very first band piece I ever marched to was The Ballad, for the local Memorial Day Parade. 1979? Freshman year.
Old 9 July 2017, 00:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
How about "Drowning Creek"? That has possibilities too.
The list of possible band names based on references to arcane slang names associated with the star exam are endless yet intriguing...Scuba Road? Puppy Palace? Three Wire Road? Woods Pond! Big Muddy!!!
Old 9 July 2017, 06:54
Authorized Personnel

Sang along with that song for several weeks.

Cool avatar.

I was wanting to try for Special Forces, but at the time one of the main recruiting points was that you would have to kill, skin, cook and eat a snake. Homey don't do snakes.

They should of let SSG Sadler go back to Vietnam.
Old 9 July 2017, 07:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The list of possible band names based on references to arcane slang names associated with the star exam are endless yet intriguing...Scuba Road? Puppy Palace? Three Wire Road? Woods Pond! Big Muddy!!!
"Konopka Point" would be another for CDQC
Old 9 July 2017, 07:35
Been There Done That

The SF guys I knew at the time hated that song. I was writing this SF Medic in Nam at the time said they hated it. He stepped on a pungi stick, and that was the end of his career. I played the album to see what the ruckus was about, thought it was kinda cool plus all the songs on it. I remember seeing Sadler on the Ed Sullivan show.
The song really took off after that.
The song became No 1 for 5 weeks, in 1966 selling 9 million singles and albums.
He was shot in the head in an a robbery in Guatemala , in 1988.
He died at the Alvin C. York medical Center, an autopsy pending.
Old 9 July 2017, 08:46
Old and Grumpy

Do they still play that song at the graduation from the Q course?
Old 9 July 2017, 11:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
Do they still play that song at the graduation from the Q course?
They play it every time we do anything..."Ladies and Gentlemen, this concludes our ceremony. Please stand for the playing of the National Anthem and the Ballad of the Green Berets."
Old 9 July 2017, 11:18
Been There Done That

When I went through Camp Mackall, they played that song over the loudspeakers, every morning at zero dark thirty, to roust us out of the tar paper shacks. At max scratchy volume.

I grew to hate it then. More so later. Especially at SF ceremonies, parades, and official functions. TPTB ruined it for me. Like the institutionalized term "Quiet Professionals, it just seemed silly. I still admire the original vocals by Sadler. It's a memorable tune and lyrics. All the subsequent choir & marching band versions suck.

Like other cheesy songs ("Puff the Magic Dragon" anyone?), you can dislike their over-played run, but you don't ever forget them. Ear worms. "The Ballad of the Green Beret" is a melody that played across most of my life... with different significance at each stage. So I've got mixed feelings about it. Don't really like it... but I can sing all the lyrics.

I think I was about 6 years old when my parents bought the debut album. Army brat dependent living in Korea. I loved the song back then. Presumably, they still have it in their dusty album collection from the 50's & 60's. I need to check.

"Garritrooper" is another great tune off that album.

Excellent find by The Fat Guy.
Old 9 July 2017, 16:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
When I went through Camp Mackall, they played that song over the loudspeakers, every morning at zero dark thirty, to roust us out of the tar paper shacks. At max scratchy volume...
Oh yeah, and Patton's speech from the movie.

We had a speaker mounted on our shack and we constantly tried to quietly disconnect the speaker. The cadre would just as quietly reconnect it. Went on like that for all of Phase 1.

I had to be retired for a few years before I stopped twitching every time I heard that song...
Old 10 July 2017, 10:37
Been There Done That

Yeah, the Patton Speech queered the movie for me. Another soundtrack that just caused me to flinch for ever after. LOL.

I know it was all supposed to be motivating, but it was really more like Manuel Noriega getting blasted by PSYOP speakers in Panama...

One Friday at Bragg (while I was at Phase 1), some ODA from 5th or 7th imploded, with most team members seeking other employment. One of those guys got immediately assigned to Phase 1 SWC Cadre and was placed in charge of PT for that very Sunday. New guy gets the weekend duty I guess.

At 0430, instead of the Ballad or Patton Speech... he put on classical music at the TAC shack. Beethoven, Wagner, etc. Amazing. We're all out in the sawdust pit, knocking out endless flutter kicks & push-ups to the soothing sounds of strings, woodwinds, & brass.

It was great. Motivating. Relaxing. He was a PT animal and smoked us hard. We didn't mind. That music was still playing when we came back through the gate after a rucksack speed march.

Naturally, it was a one time event. No room for free-thinking cadre instructors. Back to high volume Sadler & George C. Scott for every day afterward.
Old 10 July 2017, 15:31
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
The SF guys from Viet Nam raised me as a cadet, taught me to land navigate, taught me patrolling and leadership in general. My first Tm Sgt was a Son Tay Raider. Today while looking for garden brick a brack for HH6 and other older collectibles, I found this for $10. The lady said it didn't have the record in it, it was just a framed album cover. Low and behold, when I get it home and apart, the album is inside. Here's to you MSG Robertson.
I have an old 45 of this. The song may be corny, but I grew up listening to it, and that old record means a lot to me.

While true:
Continue
Old 10 July 2017, 15:59
Administrator

I find myself just unable to resist singing it out loud anytime there is an SF guy around because I know how bad it pisses them off....LOL
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate