Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 11 September 2016, 16:34
Confronting the Reckoning

An Army colonel told me I should read it, even though it was about the navy and the Marines. So I did. If you have the time, like Clancy-style books, or are actively thinking about the future of warfare, this is worth putting on the short list.

I understand that the authors used this to explore more effectively certain strategic worries that they had--and they believed it would be more effective to communicate the worries through fiction than dry prose. I gave up on Singer's robot book--it *really* needed an editor to make it shorter. This one worked, though, because he and Cole succeeded in putting the implications of the dangers they saw into an effective narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer747 View Post
If your an old school Clancy fan then you have to get this book ASAP!!

Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War by Peter Singer, a senior fellow at the New America Foundation, and August Cole, a former Wall Street Journal writer.

These two analysts build a what-if WWIII scenario looking out about 30 years in the future and its an outstanding read.

Started it last night around 7pm and did not put it down till I finished it at 3am. One cool feature if your on an e-reader is how they linked some of the future tech in the book to 30 pages of annotated footnotes that lead to articles or whitepapers on the subject in the paragraph.

I found myself shooting down some rabbit holes reading articles about certain things and then jumping back into the book.
Old 16 September 2016, 18:05
Anesthetized User

To Build a Fire

My favorite short story by my favorite author.

Jack London.

https://americanenglish.state.gov/fi...ild-a-fire.pdf

Support SOCNET.
Old 18 September 2016, 12:19
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
My favorite short story by my favorite author.

Jack London.

https://americanenglish.state.gov/fi...ild-a-fire.pdf
When I lived on Cape Cod, my fifth grade teacher read that story to us one Friday afternoon as a snowstorm descended on us. She turned off the lights and began reading after asking us to look outside and imagine...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 18 September 2016, 19:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
When I lived on Cape Cod, my fifth grade teacher read that story to us one Friday afternoon as a snowstorm descended on us. She turned off the lights and began reading after asking us to look outside and imagine...
That's damn awesome
Old 18 September 2016, 23:04
RIP Cass and SOTB

Sherriff of Ramadi by Dick Couch.

The book covers the contribution of SEALs in the fight for Ramadi, Iraq. So far so good. I'm a big fan of Dick Couch, I own all of his books. This cometed my collection.

Plus, he is a BTDT so he knows his shit IMHO.
Old 11 October 2016, 18:26
0311/8651

Started Building Shooters
Dustin Salomon
Old 11 October 2016, 21:07
True Origin Not Known

Um, yeah . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
An Army colonel told me I should read it, even though it was about the navy and the Marines. So I did. If you have the time, like Clancy-style books, or are actively thinking about the future of warfare, this is worth putting on the short list.

I understand that the authors used this to explore more effectively certain strategic worries that they had--and they believed it would be more effective to communicate the worries through fiction than dry prose. I gave up on Singer's robot book--it *really* needed an editor to make it shorter. This one worked, though, because he and Cole succeeded in putting the implications of the dangers they saw into an effective narrative.
I'm old and cranky, so they lost me when the XO was counseled about marital problems by the CO, who had firsthand experience with his wife, Brad. I just kinda lost interest. So sue me.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 12 October 2016, 22:37
Anesthetized User

Poe...

I love my short stories. Enjoy...

https://americanenglish.state.gov/fi...le_heart_0.pdf

Support SOCNET.
Old 13 October 2016, 00:28
The atomic zit

Rereading The Survival of the Bark Canoe by John McPhee.

Esoteric.

Worth reading for those that have/want an understanding of boat building/woodworking and that esoteric thing...

A chapter a day is all I can do. McPhee is dense.
Old 19 October 2016, 14:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp52 View Post
Downloaded the audio book. Very engaging. Will be buying the hard copy.

Recently finished Outlaw Platoon and Five Dysfunctions of a Team on audio book as well.

Currently listening to Brute: The life of Victor Krulak, U.S. Marine, by Robert Coram. Great history and learning things I never knew.
My Dad got me a copy of "Brute" for my birthday. Never was much of a fan of the guy; this book changed that - despite being VERY frank about his shortcomings and dissimulations. I've since loaned it out to brother Marines.
Read "Outlaw Platoon" a year or so ago HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Old 19 October 2016, 16:52
Confirmed User

Just read a bunch of stuff in the last few days.
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

All highly recommended if you're looking for a story with a deeper meaning beyond shit blowing up.
Old 24 October 2016, 15:13
Anesthetized User

Gift of The Magi

https://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/Gift_of_the_Magi.html

Support SOCNET.
Old 24 October 2016, 17:20
Been There Done That

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates by Brian Kilmeade. I've read his other book; George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution and it was good so we'll see how this goes...
Old 24 October 2016, 17:30
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Read that in middle school. Might be time for a reread. Great story of determination and selfless love.
Old 24 October 2016, 18:12
Confirmed User

¨Power of the Dog¨ Don Winslow- DEA war on Cartels late 70´s through early 2000.

Sequel: ¨The Cartels¨ picks up 2004 -2014. Lots of healines you will recognize. Good reads both

On the lighter side (Morning Constitutional only): ¨Somebody to Love¨ Grace Slick autobiography.
Old 26 October 2016, 04:16
Confirmed User

Working through John Adams right now.
Old 26 October 2016, 04:42
Confirmed User

Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging by Sebastian Junger. So far his anthropological references have been entertaining and I like his writing style. It has apparently been controversial for some veterans in reference to PTSD but I'm not too far in.
Old 4 November 2016, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Raider View Post
I'm old and cranky, so they lost me when the XO was counseled about marital problems by the CO, who had firsthand experience with his wife, Brad. I just kinda lost interest. So sue me.
Dude dies shortly after that. Sorry I ruined it, but gay marriage is not a theme explored in the book.
Old 4 November 2016, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34RX View Post
Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging by Sebastian Junger. So far his anthropological references have been entertaining and I like his writing style. It has apparently been controversial for some veterans in reference to PTSD but I'm not too far in.
I finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it--very thoughtprovoking, and echoed things I have read elsewhere (and experienced, several times) on the power of disaster to bring people together.

Do you have a source on the too controversial for some veterans? I know Junger suggests that part of the PTSD comes from the alienation from the military life by coming back into the civilian life where the gap is great. He's also blunt in suggesting that work, rather than just disability pay, is important for veterans in overcoming the PTSD.
Old 5 November 2016, 14:31
Confirmed User

Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS

Picked it up in O'Hare and burned through it. The book does a great job of detailing the men who founded the unit, their early failures and successes and how they worked with and were supported by LRDG. For lack of a better word, it's a really cool story. Reminded me what I have read about the genesis of the 5307th.

Our new posting rules