Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 7 November 2016, 11:39
Migratory Coconut

Just finished the "Red Rising" trilogy. Overall a good set of books but occasionally the writing came across as too simplified.

Currently a few pages into "The Lazarus Gate".

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 10 November 2016, 02:39
Confirmed User

The New Psychology of Leadership: Identity, Influence and Power
Old 10 November 2016, 07:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
I finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it--very thoughtprovoking, and echoed things I have read elsewhere (and experienced, several times) on the power of disaster to bring people together.

Do you have a source on the too controversial for some veterans? I know Junger suggests that part of the PTSD comes from the alienation from the military life by coming back into the civilian life where the gap is great. He's also blunt in suggesting that work, rather than just disability pay, is important for veterans in overcoming the PTSD.
Maybe controversial isn't the best depiction. The initial reference was from the BTDT who referred me to it. Then I believe it was a military FB group that had several juvenile comments that said Junger was not qualified to comment on the subject. This may have been due to him not serving but I can't recall.

I tried to find what I had read and only came up with a site that I don't think we can link to. The only comment on it claims it is just a grab at our benefits. I'll pm you.

I thought it was a great piece and well worth the read.
Old 12 November 2016, 07:02
Confirmed User

Just finished "Alliance of Shadows" by Larry Correia and Mike Kupari. One of my favorite sci fi/action authors. The company he publishes under (Baen books) is offering free book packages to those serving:

If you are currently in the service, or know someone that is, feel free to contact us--either by Facebook message or by email at PR@baen.com--and we'll be more than happy to send a book care-package along to your unit or military base. It doesn't have to be for Veteran's Day!

It's the least we can do. Thank you for all your service!
Old 12 November 2016, 09:57
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPT View Post
Just finished "Alliance of Shadows" by Larry Correia and Mike Kupari. One of my favorite sci fi/action authors. The company he publishes under (Baen books) is offering free book packages to those serving:

If you are currently in the service, or know someone that is, feel free to contact us--either by Facebook message or by email at PR@baen.com--and we'll be more than happy to send a book care-package along to your unit or military base. It doesn't have to be for Veteran's Day!

It's the least we can do. Thank you for all your service!
That's so great! I will be checking out his books just for that. I was turned on to the Monster Hunter series by another member of this board last year and I love it!
Old 13 November 2016, 10:49

Tier One Wild
Old 14 November 2016, 21:49
Russian Tycoon

The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code by Margalit Fox.

This is a fascinating history of deciphering the legendary Linear B - the script from the the tablets found in Knossos palace. It took three scientists to crack the code of Minoan civilization. If you are into cryptography, linguistics, statistics or history or just love a good puzzle, you will likely enjoy the book. It reads almost like a detective story infused with elements of biography and scholarly research.
Old 15 November 2016, 07:25
Been There Done That

^Have to check this one out. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 November 2016, 10:26
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code by Margalit Fox.

This is a fascinating history of deciphering the legendary Linear B - the script from the the tablets found in Knossos palace. It took three scientists to crack the code of Minoan civilization. If you are into cryptography, linguistics, statistics or history or just love a good puzzle, you will likely enjoy the book. It reads almost like a detective story infused with elements of biography and scholarly research.
Another good read in the same genre, is The Horse, The wheel, and Language by David Anthony. Its an anthropological, linguistic study or of how stone age people domesticated the horse, and used the wheel to carry their possessions across the previously impenetrable Eurasion steppes. They took the proto Indo-European language with them from Northern India to Eastern Europe as well.
Old 24 November 2016, 04:05
Confirmed User

I finally finished John Adams. Contrary to what I have heard the last year or so, there have been elections just as bad as this one. Politics in the early US republic was downright dirty and nasty. I think Adams doesn't get enough credit as he deserves, he saved the US from a crushing military defeat by pursuing peace with France and thwarting Alexander Hamilton's war ambitions.
Old 11 December 2016, 16:24
Confirmed User

Just finished "Red Platoon" by Clint Romesha, about the battle at COP Keating. Extremely well-written first hand account. Highly recommended.
Old 27 December 2016, 11:24
Midgetologist

Siege at Jadotville by Declan Power good read so far.

On deck The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. Ashamed I have never read it before.
Old 27 December 2016, 11:28
RIP Cass and SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Siege at Jadotville by Declan Power good read so far.

On deck The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. Ashamed I have never read it before.
IMO The Red Badge of Courage is one of the best books ever written. I have read it numerous times.

Also, The Seige of Jadotville is on Netflix as well. I imagine the book is way better though.
Old 5 January 2017, 21:14
Confronting the Reckoning

Have finished Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End and Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, done at the recommendation of some of you in here (thank you both very much for those).

Started P.K. Dick's Man in the High Castle, and have Flashman on deck. Around the side I'll finish up Lewis Dartnell's The Knowledge: How to Rebuild Civilization in the Aftermath of a Cataclysm--75 pages to go.
Old 6 January 2017, 01:31
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPT View Post
Just finished "Red Platoon" by Clint Romesha, about the battle at COP Keating. Extremely well-written first hand account. Highly recommended.
I started that the other day. It's my "work book" when we have some down time.

I just finished "Dagger 22" by Michael Golembesky, who's the author of Level Zero Heroes. It's the account of a Marsoc unit's deployment to Afghanistan in 2010. Golembesky is attached to the unit as a JTAC and they proceed to bust their asses to root out the Taliban in what seems like an old fashioned slug fest.
Old 6 January 2017, 01:40
Shakeyville NZ

Daughter gave me The Escape by David Baldacci and I know she will quiz me after the w/e. The Siege of Jaddotville was pretty well executed even tho' the Legionnaires were portrayedas a caricature or stereotype, whereby most who have met them know that they are gentle, softly spoken, unassuming grey men. Like me.
Old 6 January 2017, 06:43
Confirmed User

Moved from first-person view of "Red Platoon" to big picture view of Jake Tapper's "The Outpost". Halfway through so far, extremely well researched. Lot of history behind COP Keating.
Old 10 January 2017, 23:53
Authorized Personnel

Patriots- The Men who Started the American Revolution by A.J. Langguth

I'm only a few pages into it but I think I am going to enjoy it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile...uth/1112415450

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.

Last edited by 10thvet; 10 January 2017 at 23:57. Reason: Added link
Old 11 January 2017, 10:42
Confirmed User

One Summer by Bill Bryson. It's an historical account of the summer of 1927, covering Charles Lindbergh, Al Capone, Babe Ruth, Calvin Coolidge, Prohibition, and other interesting events. I found it entertaining and informative.
Old 13 January 2017, 10:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Patriots- The Men who Started the American Revolution by A.J. Langguth

I'm only a few pages into it but I think I am going to enjoy it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile...uth/1112415450
Thanks for this, just downloaded it to my kindle.

Our new posting rules